Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 07:05 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatehumidity View Post
Hmm, I am in S Florida and can get insulin in two near Counties but cannot get the syringes. I have to travel to a third for those. All at WalMart. 25 per vial,12 or so for the syringes 100 count. I am glad because cannot afford insurance/Obama care. That Lakeland WalMart has no clue or it's the county that forbids them to sell that. Check neighboring counties. Peace..PS THIS DISEASE SUCKS. Glad they found a cure for HEP-C..What about us? No money in HEP-C meds I guess.

I'm not having luck with the Lakeland Walmarts. I went to the other way on Thursday and asked about ways to get it cheaper. They just don't seem well versed in providing any solutions. With them its all about the prescription I give them, and no method to find a cheaper way. I was surprised there are not more walmarts around here in the Brandon Lakeland area. In fact I think one has been closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 07:10 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You can switch to a cheaper meter and strips...I use Walmart's Relion Prime which was $15 for the meter and $9 for 50 strips. Their lancing device was about $5 and lancets maybe $7...I don't change the lancet very often, usually I only change it if I'm letting someone else in the family use my lancing device. I buy the generic pen needles from Walmart and they're $9 for 50 needles.

I know exactly what you mean about it being difficult to afford the copays. It seems like when you have insurance, the doctors prescribe more expensive stuff. When I didn't have insurance, all the prescriptions I ever got were on the $4 list at Walmart. Maybe the fancier meds work better, I don't know. I just know that it all adds up.

I'm beginning to think much about Insurance in this country is a scam. Whether it be Health or Dental Insurance. In fact I think Dental Insurance is the biggest scam of all. I'm canx my BC Dental as soon as I am allowed to.

If things don't work out with this appointment I have with the VA, so I can get everything at a lower cost. Then I don't know I guess I will try a Tampa Walmart and see if I have any luck with what you are mentioning. I'm just not having any luck at the 2 Lakeland Walmarts.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:58 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'm not having luck with the Lakeland Walmarts. I went to the other way on Thursday and asked about ways to get it cheaper. They just don't seem well versed in providing any solutions. With them its all about the prescription I give them, and no method to find a cheaper way. I was surprised there are not more walmarts around here in the Brandon Lakeland area. In fact I think one has been closed.
The only insulin that I think they have over the counter is Novolin N100 in a 10 cc vial. Since my dog that used it died about a year ago, I do not know whether they still have or not. It was over the counter.

I would not show them a prescription. Just ask for the "over the counter version" of insulin. You will have to draw it up with a syringe, and you would first need to ask your doctor if it would be right for you and what dose to use.

This site says it's $26:

Novolin N Prices and Novolin N Coupons - GoodRx

Edited to add: any Walmart should be able to get the insulin. Ask to speak to a pharmacist if the person at the counter seems clueless.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 09-27-2015 at 01:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes