Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 06:24 PM

14,439 posts, read 14,386,958 times

Advertisements

This article from US News and World Report explains why. The simple answer is that every time the patent on a particular insulin is about to expire, the manufacturer "tweaks" the product, or makes a few changes and than gets a new patent.

The consequence is there is no competition from a cheaper generic product. Insulin can cost diabetics between $100 and $300 a month. Some diabetics are not able to afford insulin and end up in the hospital with DKA as a result.

What this highlights for me is that in America medicine seems more about making a profit than it is about caring for sick people.

Why Isn't There Any Cheap, Generic Insulin? - US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 09:45 AM

13,717 posts, read 9,047,493 times
Try the Relion brand of insulin available without prescription from Walmart. They have Novolin R, N and 70/30. $25.00 per vial. Has really saved me some serious money.

Of course, your point is well taken. Should Walmart stopped carrying the brand, then we are screwed, financially.

Your article seems to imply that insulin (at least, 'human') was not available prior to the 1970s. Of course, insulin therapy had been around longer than that (history of insulin):

ITR - Online

Old 09-21-2015, 04:00 PM

9,544 posts, read 16,570,872 times
I went to the Walmart Pharmacy today to see about getting my insulin there.

I told them it is just getting way to expensive, as my units are being increased. Which means I have to buy more insulin each month.. Between the insulin and all the supplies needed. I feel I am heading for trouble, if I don't find a cheaper way to do all this. So I have to deal with it now, before I am in that predicament. Which I think many people are, and probably ashamed to admit it can happen. I asked about the cheaper forms of insulin mentioned in this thread, but the employee said she didn't think they carry any. All she could offer me is what my prescription calls for.

I have been to the local VA's, and although I am a Veteran and eligible for care. I have been told there are waiting lists for treatment at least in this region of Fla. In fact the Lakeland VA Clinic, didn't even offer me any suggestions. In fact I was told I could not be seen there, unless I was Service Connected for Diabetes. Which I am not. I then drove all the way to the Tampa VA. There I was told I could go on a waiting list for a Primary Care doctor, but it would take quite awhile. Which does me absolutely no good. Let me tell you I feel really thanked, for being in the military for this country (sarcastic). I was hoping to get my insulin and supplies thru the VA, as a way to cut these out of control costs each month.

Is there anyone reading this thread that is on insulin? Especially those where the amount you take is in higher doses, which really runs up your bills. Where do you get your insulin? Do you know of cheaper ways to buy it and the supplies? It wasn't a serious problem for me when I was employed, but now that I'm retired and on a fixed income. I see problems as Diabetes slowly accelerates. Thanks.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,933,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I went to the Walmart Pharmacy today to see about getting my insulin there.

I told them it is just getting way to expensive, as my units are being increased. Which means I have to buy more insulin each month.. Between the insulin and all the supplies needed. I feel I am heading for trouble, if I don't find a cheaper way to do all this. So I have to deal with it now, before I am in that predicament. Which I think many people are, and probably ashamed to admit it can happen. I asked about the cheaper forms of insulin mentioned in this thread, but the employee said she didn't think they carry any. All she could offer me is what my prescription calls for.

I have been to the local VA's, and although I am a Veteran and eligible for care. I have been told there are waiting lists for treatment at least in this region of Fla. In fact the Lakeland VA Clinic, didn't even offer me any suggestions. In fact I was told I could not be seen there, unless I was Service Connected for Diabetes. Which I am not. I then drove all the way to the Tampa VA. There I was told I could go on a waiting list for a Primary Care doctor, but it would take quite awhile. Which does me absolutely no good. Let me tell you I feel really thanked, for being in the military for this country (sarcastic). I was hoping to get my insulin and supplies thru the VA, as a way to cut these out of control costs each month.

Is there anyone reading this thread that is on insulin? Especially those where the amount you take is in higher doses, which really runs up your bills. Where do you get your insulin? Do you know of cheaper ways to buy it and the supplies? It wasn't a serious problem for me when I was employed, but now that I'm retired and on a fixed income. I see problems as Diabetes slowly accelerates. Thanks.
This is a link to a forum post on the ADA website with info about different resources: American Diabetes Association - Resources for Discount Strips, Insulin Help, and Medical Assistance - American Diabetes Association Community There's a lot of info there, so read through and see if you can find what you need.

Also, I don't think Florida requires a prescription for insulin...might need a prescription for the syringes depending on the county. It sounds like you talked to a Walmart employee who was not helpful...some are better than others. Next time, see if you can talk to the pharmacist. From what I've figured out with my dad and his insulin, the insulin pens are expensive but the vials that you have to use a syringe for are much cheaper.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
This is a link to a forum post on the ADA website with info about different resources: American Diabetes Association - Resources for Discount Strips, Insulin Help, and Medical Assistance - American Diabetes Association Community There's a lot of info there, so read through and see if you can find what you need.

Also, I don't think Florida requires a prescription for insulin...might need a prescription for the syringes depending on the county. It sounds like you talked to a Walmart employee who was not helpful...some are better than others. Next time, see if you can talk to the pharmacist. From what I've figured out with my dad and his insulin, the insulin pens are expensive but the vials that you have to use a syringe for are much cheaper.

Thanks for the link, and I will check that link today.

No the Walmart employee seemed very overwhelmed, and it showed in her demeanor. The Walmart's where I live, there are 2 of them. They are always crowded as is much of everything in Central Florida. If its not residents its, tourist and snowbirds. So things get overcrowded fast.

Florida does require a prescription for syringes, as far as I know. I know I have had to have a script.

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,933,719 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link, and I will check that link today.

No the Walmart employee seemed very overwhelmed, and it showed in her demeanor. The Walmart's where I live, there are 2 of them. They are always crowded as is much of everything in Central Florida. If its not residents its, tourist and snowbirds. So things get overcrowded fast.

Florida does require a prescription for syringes, as far as I know. I know I have had to have a script.

Thanks for your help.
If you decide to go with the vials and syringes rather than the more expensive pens, I'm sure your doctor will write a prescription for the syringes that you need.

My doctor writes a prescription for the pen needles that I need for victoza, but that's so that my insurance will cover them. I buy the generics instead, because they cost $9 and the copay for the prescription ones is $25. But I didn't have to get a prescription for the other needles, just tell them what size and brand I want and they ring it up without having to run it through like a prescription.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,426,086 times
Quote:
There are programs designed to alleviate the cost of insulin.-
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q=free+insulin

I'm also retired and sometimes think i'm the most diabetic person in the country
3 shots per day of Novo Rapide 60 units each before meals.
2 shots per day of Levimir,60 units each shot
Also 2 1000mg metformin tablets
one Onglysia pill
If i had to actually pay for all this medication i couldnt afford to be diabetic..
When i was working private insurance paid 80% of my drug costs,when i turned 65 i switched to the government plan that now covers 100% of my pharmaceutical needs.
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/pharm.../index-eng.php

Last edited by jambo101; 09-23-2015 at 03:01 AM..

Old 09-23-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

I've looked at these websites you mentioned. I did find some information about getting discount strips, thru these mail order Diabetic Supply Companies. However the insulin itself is still expensive, and usually run thru the Insurance Company. I think there is a misnomer in this country about people that have insurance. There is still a high co-payment and that can become unaffordable. There are times I think people without insurance, actually make out better. They qualify for programs that the one with insurance will not.

So I am calling a Diabetic Supply Company today, to see if everything can be bought thru them at a cheaper cost. I can't continue with CVS, its just to much.

To come out and say it. I really should be able to get all of this through the VA, and its a shame I was denied care because they have to many patients in Florida. So all they offer is long wait lists for care, where in my case, my name will probably never come up. I'm quite angry about this, and I would probably have considered not retiring in Fla, had I known there was a possibility of this. I always had kept up my Health Care registration with the VA, should I ever have to use them. Now I do and can't. My supplies including Insulin would be at a charge to me, of $8.00 per month for each prescription at the VA. I now pay $75.00 co payment thru my insurance for insulin, That is $75.00 for each script of Insulin. $35.00 for the needles. $35.00 for strips which I ration as much as I can. the lancets are $20.00, sometimes for some reason those are $35.00. This is for a month to a little more for all of this. So you can see why the VA, is so attractive to me at this point. I think its a racket, and very unfair some get all their needs filled, and some get left to fend for themselves. If I had known I would be treated so poorly, and disrespectfully by the VA at this age. I would have got up from my Desk at the VA Hospitals I worked at and retired from, and walked out the door decades ago. In other words I would have told them to go F themselves.

Thanks again for the links. I'm sure I will at least get some discounted strips from them, and maybe they can shed some light on ways to get other supplies.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
There are programs designed to alleviate the cost of insulin.-
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q=free+insulin

I'm also retired and sometimes think i'm the most diabetic person in the country
3 shots per day of Novo Rapide 60 units each before meals.
2 shots per day of Levimir,60 units each shot
Also 2 1000mg metformin tablets
one Onglysia pill
If i had to actually pay for all this medication i couldnt afford to be diabetic..
When i was working private insurance paid 80% of my drug costs,when i turned 65 i switched to the government plan that now covers 100% of my pharmaceutical needs.
Access to Insurance Coverage for Prescription Medicines

Thanks for the links. I can't seem to pull up the top link you provided.

The 2nd one I did pull up. Yes you do take a lot of insulin and then your orals. It would be very difficult for you in the USA, if you had to pay for all of that. I'm glad you have such a plan in Canada, and that all of your very expensive supplies and Meds are provided thru it.

I've always felt many people in the USA, just can't afford to have a chronic condition. They simply will run into serious consequences paying for it, as they get older. Then again I never felt the USA, really cared about much of that. That's another story though. Thanks and take care of yourself and the Diabetes.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,426,086 times
Quote:
Thanks for the links. I can't seem to pull up the top link you provided.
That link Is just the results of a Google search under the heading "Free Insulin"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes