Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 05:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times

Advertisements

I am going to ask my doctor about that next week - thanks for the suggestions. I'm not overly concerned about the cost, though of course that's a boring way to spend money (sort of like shelling money out for dental care, but we definitely want to keep those teeth!).

My fasting blood sugar was 120 this morning and I hadn't done anything unusual yesterday - in fact, I cut way back on carbs and "ate lean" yesterday, so I don't know why it was so much higher. I mean, I know that doesn't sound high to people with diabetes but that's definitely in the "headed toward diabetes" range. Grrrr. That surprised me because I have done so well on a low carb, lean protein diet for the past few days. I did eat a couple of ginger cookies last night, wonder if that did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 05:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I did eat a couple of ginger cookies last night, wonder if that did it.
That will definitely impact your Blood sugar readings for the next 12 hours.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
That will definitely impact your Blood sugar readings for the next 12 hours.
Whoa, that's amazing. They weren't even big!

I mean, I didn't pay them any attention because I haven't even been to the doctor yet and have no diagnosis but I did think it sure was interesting that I ate those about 9:30 last night and BAM this morning there was a 22 point difference in fasting blood sugar levels.

Are small corn tortillas OK? I had 2 street tacos last night about 6. They were full of lean beef and lettuce, tomato, salsa and a bit of cheese but I wonder if it was also the tortillas. I mean, these are small - and corn. I guess I thought those were not particularly high carb. The salsa had no sugar in it (homemade so I know that - lol).

Old 10-19-2017, 06:11 AM

40,954 posts, read 49,234,730 times
Katheryn... I am "pre-diabetic" and need to drop some weight. A book that puts diet and type 2 in perspective is The Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung. It's a good read on how we become insulin resistant and how to make the change.

https://www.amazon.com/Obesity-Code-.../dp/1771641258

Old 10-19-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Katheryn... I am "pre-diabetic" and need to drop some weight. A book that puts diet and type 2 in perspective is The Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung. It's a good read on how we become insulin resistant and how to make the change.

https://www.amazon.com/Obesity-Code-.../dp/1771641258
Hey, thank you!

I just ordered it - it has fantastic reviews, so yay!

Old 10-19-2017, 06:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
Quote:
Whoa, that's amazing. They weren't even big!

I mean, I didn't pay them any attention because I haven't even been to the doctor yet and have no diagnosis but I did think it sure was interesting that I ate those about 9:30 last night and BAM this morning there was a 22 point difference in fasting blood sugar levels.

Are small corn tortillas OK? I had 2 street tacos last night about 6. They were full of lean beef and lettuce, tomato, salsa and a bit of cheese but I wonder if it was also the tortillas. I mean, these are small - and corn. I guess I thought those were not particularly high carb. The salsa had no sugar in it (homemade so I know that - lol).
Checking your blood sugar regularly will really give you an appreciation of just how much various foods affect our blood sugar even 12 hours later. Do your same eating regimen only this time without the cookies and you will see a big difference.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:55 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,691,260 times
Yes go on the diet. Diabetes runs in my family. My mother and eight siblings have had some form of diabetes, oddly I was the overweight one who was going to get it, but I don't have it. Years ago while working with institutionalized individuals, I had to manage people’s diet and sugars and record them three times a day. I had to educate myself on diabetes because all I had at that time was what I knew from family members. I learned that we should all be eating like we have diabetes. I think that knowledge is what has staved off diabetes from me for the time being.

Eating food with a high "nutritional value" makes all the difference. Too often we only think about; sugars, calories, fats, and carbs, but foods with a high nutritional value don't have a lot of those things in them too start with, like oatmeal for instance. When I was not on shift at the facility I could see the chart on one individual who was waking up at night sick due to low sugar and given a sugary snack. It would only hold him for a few hours and he would be sick again. I gave him oatmeal, brand cereal or peanut butter on whole bread. I stopped giving him sugar to raise his sugar. And it worked. My diet includes oatmeal, brand cereal, and peanut butter on whole wheat bread nearly every day.

There are websites that have charts on the nutritional values of food and how complete they are. Trust me it will break your heart to find out .When I first began becoming interested in nutrition as an overweight 21 year old it broke my heart to see in Jethro Kloss’s book that biscuits were on the list of bad foods

Old 10-19-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Checking your blood sugar regularly will really give you an appreciation of just how much various foods affect our blood sugar even 12 hours later. Do your same eating regimen only this time without the cookies and you will see a big difference.
I'm going to!

(They weren't even that good - I was just munching. I could have eaten string cheese instead and been just as happy.)

Old 10-19-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Yes go on the diet. Diabetes runs in my family. My mother and eight siblings have had some form of diabetes, oddly I was the overweight one who was going to get it, but I don't have it. Years ago while working with institutionalized individuals, I had to manage people’s diet and sugars and record them three times a day. I had to educate myself on diabetes because all I had at that time was what I knew from family members. I learned that we should all be eating like we have diabetes. I think that knowledge is what has staved off diabetes from me for the time being.

Eating food with a high "nutritional value" makes all the difference. Too often we only think about; sugars, calories, fats, and carbs, but foods with a high nutritional value don't have a lot of those things in them too start with, like oatmeal for instance. When I was not on shift at the facility I could see the chart on one individual who was waking up at night sick due to low sugar and given a sugary snack. It would only hold him for a few hours and he would be sick again. I gave him oatmeal, brand cereal or peanut butter on whole bread. I stopped giving him sugar to raise his sugar. And it worked. My diet includes oatmeal, brand cereal, and peanut butter on whole wheat bread nearly every day.

There are websites that have charts on the nutritional values of food and how complete they are. Trust me it will break your heart to find out .When I first began becoming interested in nutrition as an overweight 21 year old it broke my heart to see in Jethro Kloss’s book that biscuits were on the list of bad foods
Oh yeah - my heartbreak is going to be pasta. I can feel my heart breaking right now - LOL.

The good news is that I really do like spaghetti squash.

Honestly, I KNOW I should be eating like this. Day Four of a "good" diet of fewer carbs and more lean protein and only "good" veggies and I feel really good.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:51 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,486,697 times
Quote:
Oh yeah - my heartbreak is going to be pasta. I can feel my heart breaking right now - LOL.

The good news is that I really do like spaghetti squash.

Honestly, I KNOW I should be eating like this. Day Four of a "good" diet of fewer carbs and more lean protein and only "good" veggies and I feel really good.
All high carb foods or recipes have low carb substitutes. In many cases the substitutes are even better. I really like "zoodles". I bought a spiralizer and make my own from zucchini. You can make any recipe with them that calls for noodles like spaghetti and Asian recipes too. My favorite is to sautee them with olive oil and garlic and add Parmesan cheese at the end. I want to try to make a carbonara with them soon. As for flat noodles like lasagna we use sliced eggplant and again I actually prefer it to the real thing and so much more nutritious.

Some Zoodle recipes
https://greatist.com/eat/healthy-zuc...noodle-recipes

Eggplant Lasagna
Eggplant Lasagna Recipe | Danny Boome | Food Network
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes