Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 08:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times

Advertisements

Hey, update - I had to change my appt to this coming week, but meanwhile I've changed my diet up significantly and been tracking my fasting blood sugar.

Usually it's in the low 90s - one time in the last few days it's been 102 but then the next day it was 87. So I'm pretty sure I'm going to be OK, but this was a big wakeup call. It was also amazing to me that changing my diet dropped my average glucose level so quickly. And my pants are already looser! LOL

The bad news is that my husband's blood glucose levels are consistently around 110 - 124. His triglycerides are off the chart (569). His doctor is going to meet with him tomorrow morning and I'm sure we are both in for an unpleasant reality check of some sort. I think his beta blocker he's taking has probably really contributed to that high triglyceride figure but without it he has high blood pressure. I am wondering how much difference a lifestyle change will make. He and I are both about 25 or 30 pounds overweight but we're not rolling in fat (we're both tall and muscular naturally). But he has that classic barrel chested physique and type A personality that's associated with so many health issues. I am more worried about him than me at this point but I think we both need to make some dietary changes very quickly. (He did quit smoking two years ago and was not a heavy smoker to begin with. I have never been a smoker.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 08:41 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,486,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The bad news is that my husband's blood glucose levels are consistently around 110 - 124. His triglycerides are off the chart (569).
That is a high number for the Trigs. When I see numbers like that I often think it may not be just diet that is causing that. That being said and from what I have seen, I would suspect he eats a lot of "refined" carbs like flour and sugar and doesn't get a lot of exercise? That sounds like to me the beginnings of classic "insulin resistance" which as we all know may lead to Type 2. I say "may" because it seems not all people get it regardless of lifestyle. This reason for this is obviously genetic, but since his BG numbers are high, that's not a good sign. Anyway, good luck.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
That is a high number for the Trigs. When I see numbers like that I often think it may not be just diet that is causing that. That being said and from what I have seen, I would suspect he eats a lot of "refined" carbs like flour and sugar and doesn't get a lot of exercise? That sounds like to me the beginnings of classic "insulin resistance" which as we all know may lead to Type 2. I say "may" because it seems not all people get it regardless of lifestyle. This reason for this is obviously genetic, but since his BG numbers are high, that's not a good sign. Anyway, good luck.
I think his beta blocker (for high BP) is increasing his triglycerides. And yes, he does need to make some lifestyle changes as well, but he isn't a big carbs guy as in bread, pasta, etc. He does have a sweet tooth though and needs to get more exercise.

His brother who is a few years older than him does have Type 2 diabetes.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:19 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,451,290 times
Looser pants are one of the nice benefits - I weigh the same as I did in college. It is kind of odd that I'm in better shape (not better health) now than I have been in years. I've been pleasantly surprised to receive compliments from people about how good I look (both old friends and new acquaintances).

You seem to be on a good path but your husband has some challenges. Tell him to lay off the cookies /jk. Lifestyle changes will help a lot but it's good to see the doctor to address any potential underlying issues. My internist says that statins and aspirin are like my name; I'll be taking them for the rest of my life.

That introduces another issue - mortality. I realized that my lifespan (statistically) will be about 10 years shorter than I expected and that the quality of my life may not be what I expected. That really sucks. I've always been big on family, but I've perhaps gone overboard on spending time with family (and with 'guiding' youngsters).

Old 10-30-2017, 02:56 PM

OK got back from the doc and he is NOT diabetic. He does have very high triglycerides and impaired liver function and low thyroid. Lord have mercy.

However, since he's been on a diabetic sort of diet, he has lost ten pounds in a week! And I don't know what I've lost but my blood sugar is down to the upper 80s and low 90s in the am and my pants are looser too!

Old 10-31-2017, 05:56 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,158,382 times
Quote:
Hey, update - I had to change my appt to this coming week, but meanwhile I've changed my diet up significantly and been tracking my fasting blood sugar.

Usually it's in the low 90s - one time in the last few days it's been 102 but then the next day it was 87. So I'm pretty sure I'm going to be OK, but this was a big wakeup call. It was also amazing to me that changing my diet dropped my average glucose level so quickly. And my pants are already looser! LOL
In following your concerns in this thread, it's apparent that if you should keel over from a heart problem, it won't be from the diabetes, but from worrying about the diabetes

Your bs readings of 87, 102 & low 90s are all statistically identical-- your glucometer is only 10% accurate and those readings are all within 20 pts of each other. You're doing great!

The research shows that a HbA1c of 6% corresponds to an average bs of ~120 and a 7% to ~160 bs. More importantly, the difference in rates of complications of DM between a 7% reading and a 6% reading are too small to worry about-- it's not worth the effort to get it below 7% (despite what some docs who aren't familiar with the research are telling us).

So you and hubby should relax a little. Keep watching your diet and get a little exercise. You're doing fine. Now that you have experience and know your bs are so good, only check them a couple times a week. Healthy ain't worth it if you're not happy.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
In following your concerns in this thread, it's apparent that if you should keel over from a heart problem, it won't be from the diabetes, but from worrying about the diabetes

Your bs readings of 87, 102 & low 90s are all statistically identical-- your glucometer is only 10% accurate and those readings are all within 20 pts of each other. You're doing great!

The research shows that a HbA1c of 6% corresponds to an average bs of ~120 and a 7% to ~160 bs. More importantly, the difference in rates of complications of DM between a 7% reading and a 6% reading are too small to worry about-- it's not worth the effort to get it below 7% (despite what some docs who aren't familiar with the research are telling us).

So you and hubby should relax a little. Keep watching your diet and get a little exercise. You're doing fine. Now that you have experience and know your bs are so good, only check them a couple times a week. Healthy ain't worth it if you're not happy.
121 this morning with no change whatsoever in my diet yesterday - in fact, it was nearly identical to my diet the day before because we had leftovers! Weird. Also, about an hour and a half after eating supper last night it was at 80. I don't get that but oh well. Why would it be so low nearly two hours AFTER eating a regular (no carbs or sweets though) meal but then be 121 this morning? Oh well.

Anyway, the only reasons I got so worried was because I'm so thirsty and my eyesight has been fluctuating a lot lately. So I'm still keeping my appt tomorrow to just get checked over and probably get a referral to an ophthamologist or however you spell it. I actually feel good, and have dropped a few pounds eating better so this scare was probably for the best.

My husband has lost TEN POUNDS IN ONE WEEK from cutting out colas and carbs and desserts! WHAT THE HECK. Why can men lose weight so much easier than women???????? NOT FAIR.

His bloodwork though was all over the place and not good, actually. I think I am going to be boring to our doctor after all his extremes.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
My husband has lost TEN POUNDS IN ONE WEEK from cutting out colas and carbs and desserts! WHAT THE HECK. Why can men lose weight so much easier than women???????? NOT FAIR.
This is water weight and it is normal to lose it at the beginning. It is not fat loss. Eating carbs retains water and not eating them makes you lose a LOT of water. I am always on low carb and visit the bathroom more than normal. For sustained low carb you may need to supplement minerals like magnesium, potassium and sodium. If you have more to lose than you will more easily. The muscles retain a lot of water which is what he is losing. Not muscle mass but just water.

Did you ever get an A1C number? This will tell you if you a lot as far as BG goes.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
This is water weight and it is normal to lose it at the beginning. It is not fat loss. Eating carbs retains water and not eating them makes you lose a LOT of water. I am always on low carb and visit the bathroom more than normal. For sustained low carb you may need to supplement minerals like magnesium, potassium and sodium. If you have more to lose than you will more easily. The muscles retain a lot of water which is what he is losing. Not muscle mass but just water.

Did you ever get an A1C number? This will tell you if you a lot as far as BG goes.
LOL how come I stuck to the same diet and didn't lose ten pounds? That's what I mean - it seems a lot easier for men to lose weight than women. But oh well. At least my pants are loose and comfortable instead of getting tighter around the waist!

And yes, his A1C number is 5.5 and I think that's fine. He has all sorts of other bloodwork that's is sort of wonky but apparently he's not diabetic! Which is great. Something else is out of whack though.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
LOL how come I stuck to the same diet and didn't lose ten pounds? That's what I mean - it seems a lot easier for men to lose weight than women. But oh well. At least my pants are loose and comfortable instead of getting tighter around the waist!

And yes, his A1C number is 5.5 and I think that's fine. He has all sorts of other bloodwork that's is sort of wonky but apparently he's not diabetic! Which is great. Something else is out of whack though.
It's easier for him since he has more to lose (I assume). Also, as you mention women do retain more than men and women are generally smaller.

As for the A1C, he is still considered normal but borderline.

Normal is below 5.7 percent
Prediabetes is 5.7 to 6.4 percent
Diabetes is 6.5 percent or above

An A1C of 5.5 converts to a 111. Normal blood sugar is considered 70 to 99.

Diabetes is not a binary condition. It is gradual in most cases AND progressive. If he is changing his diet than that is exactly what he needs. It should not be a "temporary" change though, it should be be a lifestyle change.

17 Things You Need to Know About Water Weight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes