Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 10:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's easier for him since he has more to lose (I assume). Also, as you mention women do retain more than men and women are generally smaller.

As for the A1C, he is still considered normal but borderline.

Normal is below 5.7 percent
Prediabetes is 5.7 to 6.4 percent
Diabetes is 6.5 percent or above

An A1C of 5.5 converts to a 111. Normal blood sugar is considered 70 to 99.

Diabetes is not a binary condition. It is gradual in most cases AND progressive. If he is changing his diet than that is exactly what he needs. It should not be a "temporary" change though, it should be be a lifestyle change.

17 Things You Need to Know About Water Weight
Right on. He and I both needed to pay closer attention to what we eat and this was just the wakeup call we needed, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 07:44 PM

Got the blood work results in and I do NOT have diabetes - dodged the bullet once again. However, I do have high cholesterol (both HDL and LDL are high but not crazy high) and the doctor is going to refer me to an eye doctor to see what's going on, but I feel a big relief knowing that at least I'm not battling diabetes. Thank you all for your helpful advice.

My Glycohemoglobin (GHb),Total was 5.3 and my Mean Bld Glu Estim. was 105. HUGE RELIEF especially considering that my little home grown blood glucose tester thingie gave me a reading of 121 or 124 this morning (can't remember which one).

I;m going to continue on this diet plan though because it's also a diet plan that's good for lowering cholesterol and that's good!

Old 11-01-2017, 08:03 PM

19,225 posts, read 16,726,988 times
Great news, KA. Your morning reading was probably a little high from those ginger cookies last night. Keep on taking care and make sure your hubby is taking care of himself too.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:18 PM

He's in worse shape than me!

The sad thing is that I feel like I'm going to spend my 50s and 60s taking care of people and then when I'm old and sick I'll be all by myself! Sheeze!

Old 11-01-2017, 08:33 PM

19,225 posts, read 16,726,988 times
I hope you're able to get your husband to make changes. Men can often be so stubborn. I feel your pain and tend to agree with you about the caregiver thing. It seemed like I was taking care of people until I reached my late 50's and then after that ended, I found myself worn out and sick, too. Been working on regaining my health since then.

Just be your own health advocate. Little changes in diet can do major good to your overall health. And of course, we're heading into one of the most tempting times of the year. Here's where the rubber meets the road. I gave up sugar almost two years and while the first holiday season was challenging, I'll breeze through this one. Wishing you the best in your health journey.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I hope you're able to get your husband to make changes. Men can often be so stubborn. I feel your pain and tend to agree with you about the caregiver thing. It seemed like I was taking care of people until I reached my late 50's and then after that ended, I found myself worn out and sick, too. Been working on regaining my health since then.

Just be your own health advocate. Little changes in diet can do major good to your overall health. And of course, we're heading into one of the most tempting times of the year. Here's where the rubber meets the road. I gave up sugar almost two years and while the first holiday season was challenging, I'll breeze through this one. Wishing you the best in your health journey.
Thank you!

My husband is doing really well so far on his new "regimen" so time will tell. He feels so awful right now that it's easy to make changes - he wants to feel better.

He's been saying for several years "I don't feel right," but he would never go get things checked out.

I stay on top of stuff because the platelet thing scares me (my dad died of a platelet disorder and my platelet count is higher than normal but not at crisis level and I don't want it to get to that point either because it has no symptoms generally till it's too late). So I always get my yearly checkup and then get it tested again in between. I don't know why my eyesight is fluctuating but I'm going to get that checked out but other than that my blood work is GREAT - and I'm very relieved and happy about that. I just need to lose weight but since my husband needs to as well and his health situation is more dire than mine so he's got the fear of Jehosophat in him, so far it's been easy to make some changes. I just hope they kick in!

Old 11-03-2017, 02:59 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,174,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Don't bother buying the HbA1c test. Your doctor will run it and then your Insurance will pay for it.

Always cracks me up when people say this. Not everyone has the same insurance. In fact MANY have high deductible insurance now and every penny comes out of your pocket until you hit it.. Like my parents generation lol..went to the doctor for everything because it was all fully covered. My mom still cant grasp the fact I have to PAY out of pocket for coverage..

Old 11-05-2017, 02:44 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,154,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Always cracks me up when people say this. Not everyone has the same insurance. In fact MANY have high deductible insurance now and every penny comes out of your pocket until you hit it.. Like my parents generation lol..went to the doctor for everything because it was all fully covered. My mom still cant grasp the fact I have to PAY out of pocket for coverage..
Good point. I was under the impression the OP was Medicare age-- but now I see she isn't. I'll still stand by my recommendation tho: the doc will still want to run his own test and then the pt's expense will be redundant.

RE: "Being your own health advocate"-- an old joke was gong around about the growing attitude that medical care was falling into a system of plain "consumerism:-- the customer is always right.

The day would come when a pt would go to the doc and insist on having a castration operation. The doc, tempted to explain why that wasn't a good idea, remained silent because of the new consumerism. So he puts the guy in the hosp and does the procedure.

The next AM, the pt starts a conversation with his roommate, "What are you in here for?"

"Oh, I'm having a circumcision operation, he replies.

A look of bewilderment then revelation comes across our hero's face. "Oh, That's the word. That's the word!"

Old 11-11-2017, 03:46 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,627,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Could you borrow or buy a glucose meter and do your own test? Or ask your doctor to move your appointment up?

The symptoms you are having usually do not happen unless your blood sugar is up significantly.

I would do that before making significant changes in your diet which might obscure the diagnosis.

To oldgardener:

Elevated blood sugar can cause changes in vision without retinopathy. For example, it can cause fluid shifts that cause swelling in the lens of the eye.
I second this idea..........get a meter and start watching your blood sugar, fasting, post meal, waking, etc.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:06 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,203,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Got the blood work results in and I do NOT have diabetes - dodged the bullet once again. However, I do have high cholesterol (both HDL and LDL are high but not crazy high) and the doctor is going to refer me to an eye doctor to see what's going on, but I feel a big relief knowing that at least I'm not battling diabetes. Thank you all for your helpful advice.
Having a higher HDL is good not bad, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes