Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 06:05 PM

6,382 posts, read 4,224,303 times

Advertisements

I’m retired thin and fairly active and have always had a good healthy diet but never restricted my carbs. I obviously always enjoyed pasta and breads but never really had an urge for sugar, sweets or desserts.

What is the easiest way for me to get this under control. Is there a good simple app that I could put on my iPhone that will help guide on healthy meals or count the carbs that I consume each day? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 06:10 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I’m retired thin and fairly active and have always had a good healthy diet but never restricted my carbs. I obviously always enjoyed pasta and breads but never really had an urge for sugar, sweets or desserts.

What is the easiest way for me to get this under control. Is there a good simple app that I could put on my iPhone that will help guide on healthy meals or count the carbs that I consume each day? Thanks

I've been "pre" for about a decade. 1) I bought a glucose meter so I could see what does/does not spike my glucose, 2) generally, I divide the fiber into the carbs and if it is less than 5, I can eat it, 3) I use monk sugar instead of regular as it does not spike my glucose, 4) no potatoes or white rice, smaller portions of whole wheat pasta.

I've seen your meals, you guys will do fine once you make some minor adjustments!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-18-2021, 06:50 PM

6,382 posts, read 4,224,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've been "pre" for about a decade. 1) I bought a glucose meter so I could see what does/does not spike my glucose, 2) generally, I divide the fiber into the carbs and if it is less than 5, I can eat it, 3) I use monk sugar instead of regular as it does not spike my glucose, 4) no potatoes or white rice, smaller portions of whole wheat pasta.

I've seen your meals, you guys will do fine once you make some minor adjustments!
Yes, you have seen almost all of our meals! I have been having some bagels lately and I’m always snacking on peanut butter filled salted pretzel cubes. I will cut down dramatically on the carbs but hope I can still have some toast, potatoes or rice in moderation and start eating more fish.

One of my friends who has struggled with diabetes in the past said to jut keep carb intake below 90 each day and that will do it. Not sure how true or simple that is but I will start watching and paying attention to what I eat. I never have in the past.

Thanks so much for your response, it’s greatly appreciated ❗️

Old 07-19-2021, 10:41 AM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
I would strongly encourage you to get a blood glucose meter. Then you can see what does affect you.

I found I cut out too much stuff I didn't have to, and by testing with the meter, I could eat more things than I was.

Little tweaks may help too, eat your potatoes last, etc.

I miss bagels. I used to do them with a goat cheese, fresh thyme, lemon, with tomatoes, onions, and fresh basil.... but I digress...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-19-2021, 07:29 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,516,552 times
eat more bitter melon

Old 07-19-2021, 07:45 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,987,396 times
Eat to your meter so you can see what your food choices do to your blood sugar.

I've used MyFitnessPal for many years to count carbs.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:27 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,557,182 times
Get a meter with a inexpensive strips. Correlate to your mood and feelings.
Wife prepares for me bitter melon, eggplant weekly and I'll have at least one serving of either a day. I have no idea if these foods work.

Old 07-20-2021, 04:55 AM

7,297 posts, read 5,181,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post

First, let's verify the diagnosis--On what criteria was it based? (I personally think the distinction between diabetes and "pre-diabetes" is a logical fallacy...Was the mother of three "pre-pregnant" at age 10? Was the alcoholic vagrant sleeping under the viaduct "pre-alcoholic" at age 12?

Diabetes is a complex genetic situation that requires eating an excess (a relative term dependant on each individual) amount of carbs to the point that it results in an elevated BS (defined arbitrarily as >140mg%).

The fad has been to differentiate between those with a random BS >140 but a normal fasting BS as pre-diabetic, while those with fasting BS over 140 as diabetic...To show the logical fallacy in using the distinction beweent the two diagnses, if you present with a fasting BS of, say, 200, and you start a diet and your fasting BS comes down to 110, but a post-prandial BS is still 160, have you gone back from "diabetes" to "pre-diabetes?" -- or is it just well treated diabetes?

Back to your original question-- treatment must be individualized. Everyone is different.-- By trial and error, you reduce your carb intake to the point that fasting BS gets below 120-ish....Don't worry about random or 2 hr post-prandial BS-- That's where the problem is for T2 diabetics, and many cannot use diet to get that down--It's the average BS (measured by HbA1c) that counts in the long run in terms of developing complications.

The "thin diabetic" can present a problem i treatment. Can you cut down the carb intake without losing too much weight, a problem in itself?

Old 07-20-2021, 12:16 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,557,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
eat more bitter melon
How much?

Old 07-20-2021, 01:53 PM

1,395 posts, read 733,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
eat more bitter melon
Yes, worked wonders for my BG numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes