Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:16 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times

Advertisements

At the beginning of september, I joined a fitness center and have been working with a trainer. They really recommend the low carb approach. They really want you to avoid any white foods and even most whole grains. It has been difficult, but I am trying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 08:56 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
Ok, so I have been from doing the whole foods thing, to going raw, and then I did the juice fasting, the colon cleanse, and then the the Belly Fat Cure and then I did VLC (Very Low Carb... aka Atkins...) and now I am dabbling in ZERO carbs!!! Whew!!

Through my experience I have lost almost 20 lbs in about 8 weeks.

So right now, I like doing 0 carbs with a bit of VLC mixed in which I guess is carb cycling!

I have cut out eating all grains, sugars, all beans and dairy except for some veggies, heavy creams and hard cheeses. I still drink coffee, but no sodas except for Zevia.

How does that zevia taste? Is it good?

Congrats on the loss but now its time to wean up your carbs. That low of a carb intake has to be done under a doctor's supervision because its not meant for long term due to the complications that can arise. Start increasing your carbs by 10g every two weeks. If you start to gain more than 5 pounds (you will put on water weight because carb make the body hold water, but its not fat) stop on that level until you "deflate". You will notice the bloating and 5 lbs will go away. Sometimes it can take up to 8 weeks to start so be patient.
Start weaning up now so you don't burn out and go carb crazy or have a health complication. Its probably a good idea to go in for a check up now too since you lost so much and to just make sure you are still ok.

When you do wean up your carbs pick ones that are whole grain and avoid the crap out of corn syrups, white sugar, and high GI fruit. Those can make the pounds fly on after doing low carb.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:11 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
I'm a diabetic and even I can't do zero carb diets. Carbs are NOT your enemy they're simply an energy source. I like to keep my carb intake between 60-80 grams a day with most of them coming from fiber rich sources.

I don't see how people can support a regular exercise routine eating very few carbohydrates. I could barely get through my workouts when I did the low carb thing.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:23 PM

20 posts, read 88,178 times
Why not just watch your glycemic load? Its worked great for me... whole grains, healthy fresh foods, bread included... have lost ten pounds and eat healthy while walking a few miles a day.. and i feel great, have little to no bloat (and virtually no gas whatsoever).

Old 10-18-2010, 11:43 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,481,428 times
I know it is impossible to do 0 carbs, but we say 0 carbs to separate us from VLC WOE...

Anyways, I am carb cycling now between VLC and 0 carb and I am melting off pounds and I have tons of energy too!

I ate 3 meatza's today

Old 10-21-2010, 08:36 AM

333 posts, read 977,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
You beat me to it!

To the OP, what will you do when your body just can't sustain the 0 carb diet? It should be about getting healthy and not losing as much weight as possible in the shortest period of time. The longer it takes to lose the weight the longer it will stay off.
That's a very true statement.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
I know it is impossible to do 0 carbs, but we say 0 carbs to separate us from VLC WOE...

Anyways, I am carb cycling now between VLC and 0 carb and I am melting off pounds and I have tons of energy too!

I ate 3 meatza's today
How do you have so much energy when carbs are what give people energy?

Old 10-21-2010, 11:36 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygirl05 View Post
That's a very true statement.
Not really. It depends on how much discipline the person has. You stand a better chance of developing that if you take time, but many people have lost weight quickly and kept it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygirl05 View Post
How do you have so much energy when carbs are what give people energy?
Because carbs aren't the only thing that gives people energy. The whole point of low carb diets is teaching your body to go back into it's default mode of breaking down bodyfat for energy rather than carbs. This is how our bodies are SUPPOSED to work but over many yards we've introduced more and more carbs into our diets and our bodies adjusted.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:28 AM

75 posts, read 115,556 times
I don't know how you people can do the low carb thing. I tried it and had no energy (and yes, I gave it time)

Old 10-24-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Not really. It depends on how much discipline the person has. You stand a better chance of developing that if you take time, but many people have lost weight quickly and kept it off.

Because carbs aren't the only thing that gives people energy. The whole point of low carb diets is teaching your body to go back into it's default mode of breaking down bodyfat for energy rather than carbs. This is how our bodies are SUPPOSED to work but over many yards we've introduced more and more carbs into our diets and our bodies adjusted.
Yea I know eating less carbs will lower your insulin and go into "burning fat" mode. I just didn't see how you could still have energy without at-least some carbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss