Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 05:53 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygirl05 View Post
Yea I know eating less carbs will lower your insulin and go into "burning fat" mode. I just didn't see how you could still have energy without at-least some carbs.
It's real easy. You're burning fat for fuel instead of carbs. You're not taking away energy, you're just acquiring it from another source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 07:12 AM

333 posts, read 977,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
It's real easy. You're burning fat for fuel instead of carbs. You're not taking away energy, you're just acquiring it from another source.
Hmm mmk, didn't think of it like that. I should have though, my bad. Thanks

Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 AM

527 posts, read 1,019,719 times
low carb has been a lifestyle for me now- I feel like crap when I do indulge in "bad carbs"- I eat Low carbs BUT everyday I get my good carbs from Salads, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms etc. what I do TOTALLY keep away from is the white breads, white rice, flour, sugar, corn, and such. - I eat alot of meat, fish,and eggs - I do eat fruit but ONLY in the morning on an empty stomach, I do not eat starchy fruits like banannas, I do eat berries and melon in the am- 10yrs ago I lost 40lbs on Atkins and have not gained it back- I do eat pasta now but I eat the digestible kind, Dreamfields works good for me- I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Food - that is why this way of eating is for me. I can sit down at a restaurant and have me a porterhouse, I can have practically everything with it just not the baked/mashed potato (I do whipped cauliflower with sour cream & butter!) with it i can have a salad with real blue cheese dressing, mushrooms, spinach etc. - I love REAL food as well, so Olive oil and real butter is great- My cholestrol levels are great- You see once you take away the crap and all the processed junk and you eat real food- a full fat /protein diet and just eat good carbs (try to stay at 25g a day) your body burns the fat and the pounds seem to melt off

Old 10-27-2010, 09:39 PM

333 posts, read 977,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
low carb has been a lifestyle for me now- I feel like crap when I do indulge in "bad carbs"- I eat Low carbs BUT everyday I get my good carbs from Salads, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms etc. what I do TOTALLY keep away from is the white breads, white rice, flour, sugar, corn, and such. - I eat alot of meat, fish,and eggs - I do eat fruit but ONLY in the morning on an empty stomach, I do not eat starchy fruits like banannas, I do eat berries and melon in the am- 10yrs ago I lost 40lbs on Atkins and have not gained it back- I do eat pasta now but I eat the digestible kind, Dreamfields works good for me- I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Food - that is why this way of eating is for me. I can sit down at a restaurant and have me a porterhouse, I can have practically everything with it just not the baked/mashed potato (I do whipped cauliflower with sour cream & butter!) with it i can have a salad with real blue cheese dressing, mushrooms, spinach etc. - I love REAL food as well, so Olive oil and real butter is great- My cholestrol levels are great- You see once you take away the crap and all the processed junk and you eat real food- a full fat /protein diet and just eat good carbs (try to stay at 25g a day) your body burns the fat and the pounds seem to melt off
wow very good detailed info and I don't think I knew bananas were starchy.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:46 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
Ok, so I have been from doing the whole foods thing, to going raw, and then I did the juice fasting, the colon cleanse, and then the the Belly Fat Cure and then I did VLC (Very Low Carb... aka Atkins...) and now I am dabbling in ZERO carbs!!! Whew!!

Through my experience I have lost almost 20 lbs in about 8 weeks.

So right now, I like doing 0 carbs with a bit of VLC mixed in which I guess is carb cycling!

I have cut out eating all grains, sugars, all beans and dairy except for some veggies, heavy creams and hard cheeses. I still drink coffee, but no sodas except for Zevia.

I have lost 60 pounds since January on a diet that budgets 180g (35g per day of fiber) per day in carbohydrates, a caloric intake of fat that is 25% of my total caloric intake, 70g or more per day of protein, and 1500mg of sodium per day.

I can eat anything, but if I snack on a cookie, the high carbohydrate content of the cookie prohibits me from eating another, and it limits the amount I can eat at my other meals. My stomach is not filled and I desire to eat more (i.e., break my budget). It is a whirlpool that can be hard to swim out of.

If I snack on a low carb rice cake, I can eat two or I can indulge a little more at dinner time. My stomach is filled and I don't have the urge to fill it later on (I stay on budget). Also, if I eat a lot of fiber, since the body does not digest it and it slows the digestion of other carbs, I can discount this type of carbohydrate from my carb count. Thus, I fill my stomach for free, so to speak. I look for those foods which have the least impact on my budget (I call them efficient foods); so that I can eat more and not bust my budget. The key to sticking to my diet is that I do not suffer from my diet.

Not only have I improved my diet, I have become more active. I am a walker; I'll walk to work, I walk at break, I walk at lunch, I walk home after work. I run on the weekends. I park in the farthest flung parking spot. I do everything I can to be more active. Activity is a huge factor in my weight loss.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:09 PM

968 posts, read 2,588,733 times
Food is for nutrition, not for enjoyment.

Keep your macros balanced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss