Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:25 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Let me clarify. She didn't set out to eat a fat-only diet, eating only the skin and discarding the meat of the fried chicken. All she did was go back to eating a balanced diet of a variety of foods without meticulously cutting out all the items that had fats in them. Stopped eating the low-fat substitutes, and just enjoyed filling and satisfying meals without worrying herself to death about a gram of fat, even an occasional saturated one. Switched to whole-milk yogurt, and no longer had the urge to run back to the fridge an hour later.

There was no "gotta lose weight" aspect to her prior eating habits. She just maintained a steady weight, a little higher than she wanted, and ate carefully with weight in mind, and finally gave up. The result was less stress on her self image and lifestyle, more relaxed and enjoyable meal times, and an 8-pound weight loss. Sounds all good to me.
This makes sense to me and has been my experience as well. All of the low fat, no fat foods aren't going to help people lose weight. Everyone needs some fat in their diet. Like others have already mentioned, the key is healthy fats like avocados, raw nuts, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. I also think it's wise to avoid any product labeled as "low fat" or "fat free". If you drink milk, drink whole milk, if you eat sour cream, mayonnaise, or cream cheese, get the full fat variety. If you have a choice between real butter and margarine, always go with the butter. Adding a little fat into every meal will leave a person satisfied much sooner then if they are eating fat free meals which means they will consume fewer calories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 10:18 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
This makes sense to me and has been my experience as well. All of the low fat, no fat foods aren't going to help people lose weight. Everyone needs some fat in their diet. Like others have already mentioned, the key is healthy fats like avocados, raw nuts, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. I also think it's wise to avoid any product labeled as "low fat" or "fat free". If you drink milk, drink whole milk, if you eat sour cream, mayonnaise, or cream cheese, get the full fat variety. If you have a choice between real butter and margarine, always go with the butter. Adding a little fat into every meal will leave a person satisfied much sooner then if they are eating fat free meals which means they will consume fewer calories.
I agree that a little fat in the diet is necessary. Not only does it help with satiety, it adds flavor. Most of us do not eat just for fuel. Our social interactions often center around meals and we want food to taste good. However, people frequently go beyond "a little fat" with their meals.

However, the fats you are recommending are high in saturated and trans fats, which, like it or not, are linked to cardiovascular disease. See here: Fat .

You personally may choose to use full fat products, but from a coronary heart disease and stroke point of view it is not healthy. And the products which contain unsaturated fats can be quite tasty and filling.

Losing weight requires reducing calories. Gram for gram, fat contains twice as many calories as carbohydrate or protein. That means you can eat twice the volume of carbohydrates as fat for the same number of calories. If you are trying to lose weight, you'll feel fuller longer if you increase the veggies and use only a small amount of heart healthy fat for flavor. As I noted above, any excess calories, whether from carbs or fat, get shunted into metabolic pathways that favor storage as fat, so a decrease in total intake and increase in activity will promote weight loss.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I agree that a little fat in the diet is necessary. Not only does it help with satiety, it adds flavor. Most of us do not eat just for fuel. Our social interactions often center around meals and we want food to taste good. However, people frequently go beyond "a little fat" with their meals.

However, the fats you are recommending are high in saturated and trans fats, which, like it or not, are linked to cardiovascular disease. See here: Fat .

You personally may choose to use full fat products, but from a coronary heart disease and stroke point of view it is not healthy. And the products which contain unsaturated fats can be quite tasty and filling.

Losing weight requires reducing calories. Gram for gram, fat contains twice as many calories as carbohydrate or protein. That means you can eat twice the volume of carbohydrates as fat for the same number of calories. If you are trying to lose weight, you'll feel fuller longer if you increase the veggies and use only a small amount of heart healthy fat for flavor. As I noted above, any excess calories, whether from carbs or fat, get shunted into metabolic pathways that favor storage as fat, so a decrease in total intake and increase in activity will promote weight loss.
Raw nuts, olive oil, avacado and coconut oil are healthy fats. It is true that full fat dairy products contain trans fat and saturated fat. They are things that are meant to be eaten in moderation and quality counts.

There is some debate and controversy over the role of saturated and trans fats in one's diet. According to some stuides and sources some (not all) types actually have health benefits when coming from grass fed organic dairy and beef.

Good Trans Fat vs Bad Trans Fats | Hydrogenated Oils vs natural CLA
No evidence that saturated fat causes heart disease (it’s official) | Dr Briffa's Blog
Does Saturated Fat Cause Heart Disease? | Food Renegade
Whole Health Source: Full-fat Dairy for Cardiovascular Health
More Saturated Fat Attacks

Last edited by Dorthy; 10-13-2010 at 03:06 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 03:34 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,539 times
For every studdy that says you can eat as much fat as you want and stay healthy there are probably 10-20 that says you shouldn't...
For every person who can eat loads of anything without gaining weight there are plenty of people who cant.

About eating fat:
There is nothing wrong with eating fat, but you should eat balanced in general. neither cutting all the fat or over eating the fat is going to be good for you. you only need a small ammount of fat, good fat, to make your body work good, and this small ammount of fat is what you would naturally get from eating just about anything. like pasta with some lean meat. even if the meat is lean you would get enough fat. then there is of course the omega oils which you might need to take a gram or so of each day to make some processes in the body a bit better...

Can anyone please give any logical explanation to why it would be good to eat say >150 grams of fat/day (>1200 kcal from fat alone/day). I do not see how this would lead to any particular benefit for the indivual in question.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:41 PM

25 posts, read 34,904 times
Quote:
Raw nuts, olive oil, avacado and coconut oil are healthy fats. It is true that full fat dairy products contain trans fat and saturated fat. They are things that are meant to be eaten in moderation and quality counts.

There is some debate and controversy over the role of saturated and trans fats in one's diet. According to some stuides and sources some (not all) types actually have health benefits when coming from grass fed organic dairy and beef.

No evidence that saturated fat causes heart disease (it’s official) | Dr Briffa's Blog

I agree. I do not believe that saturated fat is nearly as dangerous as many claim it to be. I also don't believe (at all) that dietary cholesterol raises blood cholesterol.

Speaking from personal experience, I eat anywhere from 8-10 whole eggs a day and up to 1lb of 90% ground beef daily. I do however work out more than the average person.

I get my numbers checked each year and my cholesterol numbers and lipids are terrific.

Again, before people put words in my mouth and suggest that I recommend people eat a higher fat diet, i'm not saying that. Only that I don't believe it's as bad for you as people claim when done correctly.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:55 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,798,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ancient View Post
Problem is, their fat comes from fish (good fat) but you'll have these big ol Tennessee and Arkansas women thinking "oh lordy, I can go on a high fat diet and lose weight!" so they start eating pork rinds, twinkies, etc. which is the wrong thing to do.
Why the Tennessee and Arkansas hate???

Old 10-13-2010, 06:07 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:

There is nothing to support the allegations in this link that there are "good" and "bad" trans fats. The idea that, "Natural trans fats are created in the stomachs of ruminant animals such as cattle, sheep, goats, etc. and make their way into the fat stores of the animals." is defied by the fact that trans fats are not "created" in the stomach, they have to be consumed as food. And they do not "make their way" intact into the fat of the animal. They are digested and turned into triglycerides to be packaged for absorption. In humans, trans fat raises LDL (bad) cholesterol and lowers HDL (good) cholesterol. And trans fat may promote inflammation. It is just not true that there is "good" and "bad" trans fat. See here: Shining the Spotlight on Trans Fats - Nutrition in the News - The Nutrition Source - Harvard School of Public Health .

Well, there is evidence that saturated fat intake is associated with increased risk of heart disease. See here: PLoS Medicine: Effects on Coronary Heart Disease of Increasing Polyunsaturated Fat in Place of Saturated Fat: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials and here: Replacing saturated fat with polyunsaturated fat may cut heart disease risk .
This study is more recent than the material in your link. If you cut down on saturated fat, what should you replace it with? If you consume simple sugars instead, that is obviously not good. The study suggests that switching from saturated to polyunsaturated fat is associated with a decreased risk of cardiovascular disease.

Just reiterates Briffa's blog

This is a commentary on a study done in Australia on dairy fat. The actual authors' conclusion was
"Overall intake of dairy products was not associated with mortality. A possible beneficial association between intake of full-fat dairy and cardiovascular mortality needs further assessment and confirmation."

The problem here is the limitation to dairy, and cannot be applied to overall saturated fat intake. I personally would be happy if the dairy info is confirmed, since I like dairy products.

There is little real substance here. It's mostly just a rant against the food industry.
And the benefit of grass fed beef is that it is leaner overall.

Here is a very interesting article about dairy products. I think it is very balanced. It does refer to one study in which consumption of high fat dairy was associated with a lower BMI than consumption of low fat dairy. The speculation was that the high fat group might have been less likely to snack than the low fat group. This was restricted to dairy products, though. WHFoods: Do you recommend dairy products made from low-fat versus whole milk? If so, what are your reasons?

I personally want to keep my HDL as high as possible, my LDL as low as possible, and the tests that monitor for inflammation in the normal range. I will try to avoid trans and saturated fat and watch total fat intake, especially animal fat. I will increase the veggies, and if I do want to use something on bread, I'll choose a soft spread with omega 3 in it.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:04 PM

25 posts, read 34,904 times
Quote:
And the benefit of grass fed beef is that it is leaner overall.

Here is a very interesting article about dairy products. I think it is very balanced. It does refer to one study in which consumption of high fat dairy was associated with a lower BMI than consumption of low fat dairy. The speculation was that the high fat group might have been less likely to snack than the low fat group. This was restricted to dairy products, though. WHFoods: Do you recommend dairy products made from low-fat versus whole milk? If so, what are your reasons?

I personally want to keep my HDL as high as possible, my LDL as low as possible, and the tests that monitor for inflammation in the normal range. I will try to avoid trans and saturated fat and watch total fat intake, especially animal fat. I will increase the veggies, and if I do want to use something on bread, I'll choose a soft spread with omega 3 in it.

I'd just like to say I appreciate your civilized approach in debating a controversial topic, unlike some people here =)

In my opinion this back and forth within the scientific community regarding nutrition will go on forever. I'm not really hopeful that a clear consensus (an adequately supported one at that) will arise. But maybe that's just because i'm a pessimist.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
There is nothing to support the allegations in this link that there are "good" and "bad" trans fats. In humans, trans fat raises LDL (bad) cholesterol and lowers HDL (good) cholesterol. And trans fat may promote inflammation. It is just not true that there is "good" and "bad" trans fat. See here: Shining the Spotlight on Trans Fats - Nutrition in the News - The Nutrition Source - Harvard School of Public Health .
From your link:
Quote:
Before the advent of partial hydrogenation, the only trans fat that humans consumed came from eating cows (or dairy products), lamb, and deer; in ruminants like these, bacteria living in the stomach make small amounts of trans fat. But due to the growth of partial hydrogenation, by the early 1990s, trans fat intake in the United States averaged 4 to 7 percent of calories from fat. <snip>(As noted above, trans fats do naturally occur in dairy foods and meat from ruminant animals, but trans fats from these sources do not make up as significant a part of the American diet, so they are not as much of a public health concern.)
and more:
A 'Good' Trans Fat? - ABC News
Quote:
In addition to the manufactured type of trans fat, natural trans fats can also be present, mostly in meat and dairy foods. But it's not quite the same as the partially hydrogenated stuff. Natural trans fats might even be good for you.

One such natural trans fat is called conjugated linoleic acid, or CLA. It's present mostly in meat and dairy foods, such as milk, yogurt and cheese.

Preliminary research suggests that its benefits may include actually reducing the risk of certain cancers and heart disease. A review of clinical research over the past 16 years, published recently in the journal Lipid Technology, stated that natural CLA trans fat "has no effect or may actually lower LDL cholesterol and has little effect on HDL cholesterol or triglycerides."
Quote:
Well, there is evidence that saturated fat intake is associated with increased risk of heart disease. See here: PLoS Medicine: Effects on Coronary Heart Disease of Increasing Polyunsaturated Fat in Place of Saturated Fat: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials and here: Replacing saturated fat with polyunsaturated fat may cut heart disease risk .
The evidence is conflicting in this area. Some studies say that there is a link and others say that there is no link. Imo, moderation is key.

Saturated fat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
In 2010, a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies including 348,000 subjects found no statistically significant relationship between cardiovascular disease and dietary saturated fat.[8][9] However, the authors noted that randomized controlled clinical trials in which saturated fat was replaced with polyunsaturated fat observed a reduction in heart disease, and that the ratio between polyunsaturated fat and saturated fat may be a key factor.[8] In 2009, a systematic review of prospective cohort studies or randomized trials concluded that there was "insufficient evidence of association" between intake of saturated fatty acids and coronary heart disease, and pointed to strong evidence for protective factors such as vegetables and a Mediterranean diet and harmful factors such as trans fats and foods with a high glycemic index.[10]

An evaluation of data from Harvard Nurses' Health Study found that "diets lower in carbohydrate and higher in protein and fat are not associated with increased risk of coronary heart disease in women. When vegetable sources of fat and protein are chosen, these diets may moderately reduce the risk of coronary heart disease."[11]

Mayo Clinic highlighted oils that are high in saturated fats include coconut, palm oil and palm kernel oil. Those of lower amounts of saturated fats, and higher levels of unsaturated (preferably monounsaturated) fats like olive oil, peanut oil, canola oil, avocados, safflower, corn, sunflower, soy and cottonseed oils are generally healthier.[12] However, high intake of saturated dairy fat does not appear to increase the risk of cardiovascular disease[13] and Pacific island populations who obtain 30-60% of their total caloric intake from fully saturated coconut fat have almost non-existent rates of cardiovascular disease.[14]

Quote:
This is a commentary on a study done in Australia on dairy fat. The actual authors' conclusion was "Overall intake of dairy products was not associated with mortality. A possible beneficial association between intake of full-fat dairy and cardiovascular mortality needs further assessment and confirmation."

The problem here is the limitation to dairy, and cannot be applied to overall saturated fat intake. I personally would be happy if the dairy info is confirmed, since I like dairy products.
We were talking about full fat dairy products so that's why I posted a link regarding saturated fats in dairy. Personally I eat very little dairy, only small amounts of aged cheese and cultured butter. Dairy should be eaten in moderation and if you're doing that then I see no reason not to enjoy the full fat variety.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:52 AM

13 posts, read 21,678 times
You can take a regular workout to lose your weight and also take a healthy food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss