Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:26 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,717 times

Advertisements

At 230 pounds, I'm guessing you are obese, perhaps even morbidly so. I don't see many obese people aged 60+ at the movies, at shopping malls, at supermarkets,maporting events etc. They mostly either die early, or are immobilized so they can't leave the house. If you are comfortable with your life essentially being over when you are 60, by all means continue of this path. Its your life! But don't expect accolades, because there is nothing to celebrate healthwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times
Both of my grandmothers were big women about my size who lived into threir 80s. Ever read about the stories of some of the oldest people in the world? A lot of tham had unhealthy food habits,yet still lived to be pass 100. As a matter of fact,most 60 years olds I see are obese.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:26 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Both of my grandmothers were big women about my size who lived into threir 80s. Ever read about the stories of some of the oldest people in the world? A lot of tham had unhealthy food habits,yet still lived to be pass 100. As a matter of fact,most 60 years olds I see are obese.
You are living in fantasy land. Good luck to you.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 PM

229 posts, read 416,400 times
I usta be real fat until i started running. I mean i wud run real fast til i practically died id jus keep running and running it was so good for me i losted about 600 pounds or so the first year and after that it wuz much easier to run. i could run 700 yards in 10 minutes and i wud blow out my nose and breathe in my mouth like they say and it worked good for me. i also did pushups and situps about 1000 a day and jumpinjacks too. i did many and wud loose count i did so much. i only ate green veges from my garden and it helped with having many productive bowel movements so as i not have the excessive weight gain. when my granny came to see me last spring she thinked that i was her great granddaughter i look so good i wear cute clothes now too.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:55 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I wouldn't mention these things, but you did ask.

Define healthy. At 230 pounds, you are creating excess strain on your skeletal system and the connective tissues that hold it together. Look at your feet and think about the work they do, along with your ankles, knees, and hips to hold you up and walk you to any where you want to go.

Think about the weight that rests on your lungs, along with the rest of your organs.

Think about how much harder your heart has to beat, and how much more often, to keep the blood coursing through your increased mass.

I suspect you are younger, now, but when you get to be my age a lot more things hurt, and their capabilities are less. Even at an average body mass, things are settling and ache more. Your extra girth will compound that.

Now lets talk about bed sores. They are what happens to tissue that doesn't get air and sits in the same place for long periods of time. The event normally occurs to the bed and chair ridden, and it isn't pretty. Frankly, the skin starts to rot away. It can develop gangrene if left unattended. Think about the areas of your body that rest upon one another and don't get air. As you age, your skin becomes less taut. You will have more places that fall into this category. Some of them you won't be able to reach. I don't think I need to say more in this regard.

I suspect you've tried dieting and not been gratified with success, so you are talking yourself into being grateful for what you have. It is your choice, but before you make it, know the consequences. I have a friend in your situation, she is a year older than I. She cannot move around comfortably. Her lungs are weakened -- no, she's never smoked, and she's on oxygen. Her heart is strained.

Maybe you want to think about this choice a bit more.

God bless you and keep you, whatever you decide.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:14 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,159,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
I usta be real fat until i started running. I mean i wud run real fast til i practically died id jus keep running and running it was so good for me i losted about 600 pounds or so the first year and after that it wuz much easier to run. i could run 700 yards in 10 minutes and i wud blow out my nose and breathe in my mouth like they say and it worked good for me. i also did pushups and situps about 1000 a day and jumpinjacks too. i did many and wud loose count i did so much. i only ate green veges from my garden and it helped with having many productive bowel movements so as i not have the excessive weight gain. when my granny came to see me last spring she thinked that i was her great granddaughter i look so good i wear cute clothes now too.
At first I started to get pi$$ed off about your post, but then I realised you obviously are being extremely sarcastic and making fun of the claims that some people make when they are doing the whole blame and shame the fat folks to the exclusion of everything else routine.
Let's not overlook the tactic of implied lack of intelligence, basic education, knowlege of grammar, punctuation and spelling--which are sure indicators of a fat person because non-fat people don't have this problem and (I don't know if you're actually aware of this proven fact) everyone knows that fat people are just DUMB. Stupid. Ignorant. Clueless, brainless, worthless, morally depraved, lazy, slovenly eating machines whose only waking thought is fooooooooodmusthavemorefooooooooooodmusteatmorefoo oooooooooood.
Left to their own devices, they will even eat pets and small children.

Obviously, calories in-calories out is soooo effective--in fact, I don't know why fat people haven't cottoned on to the concept! I mean, I can't imagine how the weight loss industry makes it's billions and billions every year, because eating less and exercising more is just so effective for every living person regardless of any other factor--so effective in fact that there aren't ANY overweight/obese people ANYwhere ANYmore, because calories in-calories out fixed it. There is no obesity epidemic--ancient history!

So how is the weight loss industry STILL making any money? It defies financial logic and boggles the fiscal mind, really.

I personally don't know anyone who's struggled for years to lose weight, or lost the weight and then regained it, plus more--must be one of those urban myths!--but if I did know anyone that calories in-calories out didn't work for, I'd suggest Plan B: that they simply just stop being fat at me.

That's right folks! Every person I know is totally healthy (ie skinny, fit, trim, sexy, lean, cut, ripped, enter-adjective-of-your-choice-here) thanks to good ol' calories in-calories out, the ultimate obesity cure! (Hey! That's pretty catchy! Somebody should market that....just sayin') Now, the totally healthy=thin people I know might be riddled with cancer, or have high blood pressure that has taken the top of their head clean off, or suffering emphysema from decades of smoking, but regardless of all that, they are totally healthy because they are not fat.

It's true!
Thin = healthy, regardless
Fat = oh-my-God-you're-going-to-die-any-micro-second-now!!!!!!!!!!!!, regardless
End of story.

There. There's some more sarcasm for all the self appointed weight loss/health experts on here and out in the real world. You need never worry about becoming an endangered species, because all you experts apparently multiply faster than the ebola virus.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:14 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Go ahead and enjoy yourself then. But don't expect everyone to agree with you.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:32 AM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
You don't have to eat and work out like Jack LaLanne to live into your 90's. I also know quite a few people who have lived long lives with a fair amount of extra padding on their bodies- overweight, not morbidly obese, though.

But you will probably have a better quality of life if you watch what/how much you eat, get regular exercise and just take care of yourself in general. Overall, you'll have less aches and pains (less stress on your joints and feet) and you'll feel and look younger, too.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:51 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I thni that when you see those over weight people in their older age it would be best if you saw them in earlier life as most lved when the majority where not overweight including themsleves. You also need to know just what problems they have and what meds to control what problems. If younger and obese Some people alos smoke to a ripe old age without dying from it.I really doubt the Op would be askig the question if he/she did not know the naswewr already.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
you are just trying to justify being obese so that you dont have to exercise self control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss