Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:00 PM

5 posts, read 5,494 times

Advertisements

Please read the metabolism miracle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 10:39 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
Saw it at Borders, looks interesting. Won't need it, I've already been eating successfully for my metabolism the last ten years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvkville View Post
Please read the metabolism miracle

Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yeah I agree, they had a varied diet. There is no way it way low in fat.......or high in carbs (for the most part).

WW and American diabetes assoc and AHA etc do NOT recommend being high in carbs, or or eliminating fat.

They DO recommend limiting sat fat, eating mono and poly (esp omega3) fat instead, and eating a moderate amount of carbs. thats only "high carbs" to the "low carb" people.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Yeah I agree, they had a varied diet. There is no way it way low in fat.......or high in carbs (for the most part).

You sound really well read on the subject of nutrition....so I assume you know that many of todays fruits and veggies are Hybrids developed to enhance flavor and visual appeal???? The fruits of today are a lot bigger and more flavorful than anything the Injuns ate, much more carbs and overall bigger in size.

I read about luther burbank as a kid - not only flaovr and visual appeal, but all kinds to things to make them more economical to grow. I confess to thinking thats a good idea.

If yo are counting calories, you can offset changes in the makeup of fruits, by limiting quantities.

Interestingly I have been on WW only since they instituted points plus, under which fruit is zero points. I do record my fruit anyway, and make sure I am not eating it in massive quantities, but I do have some fruit a couple of times a day (the only one i try to avoid is grapes, particulary high in sugar - and I avoid dried fruits and fruit juices, which are NOT zero points) . So far I have been losing weight on this program.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
by they, you mean the inuit, right?

Surely you are aware that most indians were NOT exclusively hunter gatherers - and many relied on farmed corn (and beans and squash, the other of the "three sisters") for sustenance - they definitely did eat high carb diets.

If you are not aware of that, let me suggest this book, which is not about diet.

Amazon.com: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus (9781400040063): Charles C. Mann: Books

Old 04-27-2011, 10:05 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
diet is such a simple and easy thing. its comical how much bs there is out there to complicate it. peope want to believe its complicated so they have an excuse to fail. "professionals" want to complicate it so they can sell books/advice, etc.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
The Indians are generally overweight & also addicted to alcohol.
I don't even know how to respond to these types of totally offensive racial stereotypes. It's akin to saying "All them black folk sure can tap dance."

Do you actually KNOW any Native Americans?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-27-2011 at 03:02 PM..

Old 04-27-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
The Indians are generally overweight .
Which has nothing to do with their preColumbian diet, which is what I was discussing.

One thing you can say for them, the Indians aren't totally ditzy.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:38 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,126,453 times
Smile Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It.....the book

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
A great book that explains it very well is Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat." Every single overweight person should read it. And their doctors.
I've read most of the book - it isn't an easy read - and have cut out carbs for the most part (no bread, grains, cake, cookies, beans, potatoes, or pasta), eating lots of fruit, non-carbo veggies and meat. I have lost 8 pounds in about 2 1/2 weeks. The only liquid I drink is water. No cravings - I did go to a party last Saturday - had two beers, some chips, etc., but I went right back to my eating regime the next day and felt fine. I only need to lose about 4 more pounds, but I feel so much better, this will probably be my type of eating from now on - with lapses for parties, etc.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:27 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
The Indians are generally overweight & also addicted to alcohol.
That one took my breath away but I will say this: the general population of native Americans does tend to have more problems with diabetes and heart disease because they have abandoned their native diet--just as the rest of us have also abandoned our native diets.

The Inuit article was very interesting and it's helpful for us to know these things, but I doubt seriously if there's anything we could do to even remotely get close to what they eat or if we'd have the stomach to eat those foods. I wonder if anyone caught the significance of the the fact that a large part of their diet is dead seabirds that have been allowed to rot in the ground until they get good n' tasty. Those nutrients are essential to anyone who never eats fruits or vegetables. And unfortunately their diet is no longer as healthy to them as it once was b/c the rest of us have polluted their food supply.

Last edited by stepka; 04-27-2011 at 05:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss