Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:57 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Well not exactly. Grain is the seed of grass, but the nutrient content is quite different and grain has a lot of sugar in it to nourish the young seedling..
wheat and rice have very little sugar, the carb content is almost entirely starch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 11:59 AM

last night for a snack I had one slice of whole wheat toast with a TBSP of almond butter. 5 "Points Plus".

Old 03-16-2011, 03:02 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
No it isn't..... read Eat Right For Your Type and any of the low carb plans and you'll be on your way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, I stand by my remarks, those HEALTHY grains are not HEALTHY for a lot of people......that is what I feel your remarks implied.

Common sense when it comes to a healthy diet.......well, there has been so many conflicting recommendations about what is healthy to eat......... truly FIGGERING (sp) out healthy is a real puzzle.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Certainly I never said ALL whole grains are perfect for EVERYone LOL.

It is counterintuitive that anyone who has an adverse reaction to any food (celiac, lactose intolerant, whatever ) should even consider that food as a healthy choice. That is simply common sense, tickyul. We wouldn't want anyone with a corn allergy eating corn, now would we?!

Here is the American Diabetes Association recommendation regarding whole grains:

Whole Grain Foods - American Diabetes Association
why would ANYONE listen to a well respected scientific organization, whose board includes many leading scientists and physicians, when they can find the TRUTH from a naturopath whos never published a peer reviewed article on nutrition or disease, and from internet posters? sheesh.

You probably believe in climate change, and in evolution.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
No it isn't..... read Eat Right For Your Type and any of the low carb plans and you'll be on your way.

I really stopped reading books about diet a while ago. I mean, I read internet articles and also listen to a lot of people ideas and opinions.

As far a wanting to get too deep into someones idea of what is the "best diet", haha no thanks, I listen to my own body and try different ways of eating.

I have 2 diets that work "the best" for me, a strict ketogenic diet or a modified cyclic ketogenic diet.

I tried a low carb/high protein diet......yikes, after about a week all of that protein was overloading my system and I felt really sick.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:42 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
why would ANYONE listen to a well respected scientific organization, whose board includes many leading scientists and physicians, when they can find the TRUTH from a naturopath whos never published a peer reviewed article on nutrition or disease, and from internet posters? sheesh.

You probably believe in climate change, and in evolution.

The message you are attempting to convey is quite murky at best.

Do you mean to imply that we should toe the line that the experts endorse with reference to diet..........because the experts say it is the best way to eat......even if someones health worsens when they eat said diet. For example........someone who is very insulin resistant eats whole grains and their appetite goes way up and their energy levels go way down.....is that healthy???

Old 03-17-2011, 05:52 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:

Do you mean to imply that we should toe the line that the experts endorse with reference to diet..........because the experts say it is the best way to eat......even if someones health worsens when they eat said diet. For example........someone who is very insulin resistant eats whole grains and their appetite goes way up and their energy levels go way down.....is that healthy???
The experts who have actually studied nutrition with respect to whole human function would not recommend an insulin-resistant person eat a lot of carbs. That's the point. The experts do not recommend this or that diet "even if someone's health worsens when they eat said diet." The experts say that if you need to lose weight, and you try a moderate, satisfying weight-loss program combined with appropriate exercise, and it isn't working, then try something else. The experts NEVER say "if you are THIS type, then you will ONLY benefit from THIS diet." The experts know better than that.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:

If you are having problems like that you should consult your physician. And not just listen,but actively participate in making decisions about your self. Everyones body is different. everyones lifestyle is different.

BUT - IF you are interested in getting opinions from experts - I would suggest a respected scientific organization is a a far better source than a single individual with no good credentials who happens to have published a book, and some folks on the web.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:04 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
Combining information from several different sources is what's worked best for me. I am able to synthesize information & make it work for me. It's called critical thinking skills........

Old 03-17-2011, 10:17 AM

35 posts, read 53,794 times
Lets face it , carbs or no carbs, if you are a couch potato and/ or don't exercise enough to keep your metabolism active, you are going to gain weight. The older you get, the slower you get... so you need to keep it in mind that you need to get out or get up and move, move, move.. and that doesn't mean from tv to refrigerator
Come do some barn chores daily , forget dieting and keep moving.... make those muscles work!
then go have a turkey sandwich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss