Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 12:09 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times

Advertisements

^^Read The Zone by Barry Sears. I think he says carbs are stored in the liver. In any case, I think Jennifer Hudson meant that she avoided carbs for a few days before the awards ceremony & the media misconstrued it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 02:23 PM

Boom there is it, read it and weep:

Barry Sears = The Zone (http://www.gregcaton.com/lumen/sears.htm - broken link)

At any given moment, the average American adult carries a minimum of 100,000 calories of stored body fat. That's the equivalent of 1,700 pancakes. The Zone Diet (and we will discuss the Lumen Foods version in a moment allows people to access this massive amount of energy which is already stored in the body.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:28 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Boom there is it, read it and weep:

Barry Sears = The Zone (http://www.gregcaton.com/lumen/sears.htm - broken link)

At any given moment, the average American adult carries a minimum of 100,000 calories of stored body fat. That's the equivalent of 1,700 pancakes. The Zone Diet (and we will discuss the Lumen Foods version in a moment allows people to access this massive amount of energy which is already stored in the body.
That doesn't prove anything except for the fact that excess carbohydrates are mostly stored as fat. Whether you want to believe it or not, the fact is that we burn through carbohydrates much faster than fat. We can have years of fat accumulation but it's not the same with carbs. I've never heard anyone having a large reserve of carbohydrates except for diabetics and even then our bodies try to eliminate the excess carbs (I'm a diabetic so I should know).

If you don't believe me then take a gander at the link.

ACES Publications : SPORTS NUTRITION FOR YOUNG ADULTS:CARBOHYDRATES : HE-0751

Quote:
In addition to particular storage sites and sources, there also is only a limited amount of carbohydrates that can be stored in the body. While body fat can be stored in almost unlimited supply, carbohydrates cannot.
I don't think that we should go crazy on the carbs, but eliminating them all together is silly.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:53 PM

Barry Sears advocates about 100 grams from day 1, mostly from low glycemic sources. His diet is good if you are 25-35. After 35 I think reducing grains & starches to an absolute minimum is a good way to go.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:14 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Well, I am pretty sure that I have IR, eat a low fat/high carb meal and I will be ready for a nap in no time. Also I have watched my blood sugar, if I eat a good amount of carbs in meals for extended periods my energy goes way down and my BS goes way up.

Never been formally diagnosed.....but....when I eat low carb I feel so much better, will never go back to a "regular" diet.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:01 AM

Yes, regular diets suck, don't they.............
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, I am pretty sure that I have IR, eat a low fat/high carb meal and I will be ready for a nap in no time. Also I have watched my blood sugar, if I eat a good amount of carbs in meals for extended periods my energy goes way down and my BS goes way up.

Never been formally diagnosed.....but....when I eat low carb I feel so much better, will never go back to a "regular" diet.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:13 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I don't think that we should go crazy on the carbs, but eliminating them all together is silly.
Depends on the person and what they are looking to accomplish.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:14 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,097 times
Quote:
Hmmmmmm..... sounds just like a lot of other low carb regimes on the market. The Dukan Diet, for example, recommends no more than 1 piece of fruit a day.....for life! I would not need to read this since I have already practiced this for over a decade.
This book isn't a 'regime' or a 'diet' at all...it explains WHY we get fat.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:38 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,288,829 times
Quote:
Barry Sears advocates about 100 grams from day 1, mostly from low glycemic sources. His diet is good if you are 25-35. After 35 I think reducing grains & starches to an absolute minimum is a good way to go.
The zone diet is healthy and fairly balanced. Maybe it's healthy because it is balanced. That said, I don't follow it. (I especially like that he says a Snickers bar is a better snack than a carrot.) I think balance and moderation are important and are better than eliminating certain categories of foods.

We're all different, though. One person may struggle to get her weight up to 105 and has never been over 120. (I know the answer to that problem: ice cream.) Most, though, are trying to go the other direction, so the same advice will not apply.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:26 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Notice this says excessive carbs are to blame. Not any or all carbs, or even a normal amount of carbs. Excessive. Meaning, if you're eating too much of this thing, it's bad for you.

I'd say that's a pretty d'oh kind of statement. Sort of like when the government decreed that hot coffee is hot.
Not as simple as it sounds anon. The problem is that we've all lost sight of what moderation means. Something tells me that if we all got flashed back into time to 50 or more years ago, we'd all be in for a shock. I remember the first time I actually measured out the portion of cereal that's given out on the side of the box. It was about 1/3 to 1/2 of what I was used to eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss