Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 06:48 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
oh come on, did i really need to put a disclaimer for medical issues? i think thats a given.
Maybe you should try to be more accurate next time, that would be helpful and caring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
of course American Diabetes assoc does not recommend avoiding all fruit. I mean you COULD decide that ADA is too cautious about using radical changes in diet to avoid medication. thats an argument I can see. Of coure Ornish would say the same about sat fat - that AHA is way to cautious about using radical reduction in sat fat to avoid meds for cholesterol. Somehow the folks who are quick to seriously limit carbs with an intuitive argument about diabetes that even the ADA does not make, or not quite so quick to go in the same direction wrt sat fats.
Well, I am not convinced that saturated fat is bad. I know that things like high BP, high BS, Obesity.....ARE bad for you. In my opinion and from what I have read, eating a diet with balanced fats is not bad for you if you are limiting carbs.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Maybe you should try to be more accurate next time, that would be helpful and caring.
i dont mean to be testy, but i just think that when people have medical issues, that is just assumed and doesnt need to be listed. maybe i should have also mentioned that lactose intolerant people have to avoid milk or people with heart disease should avoid fried foods.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:32 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
And people who are allergic to strawberries shouldn't eat strawberries. Furthermore, glucose-intolerant people need to back off glucose. Also, tickyul, your opinion about saturated fat has nothing to do with reality. Saturated fat is unhealthy. You don't have to like it, but not believing it, won't make it not be true.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont mean to be testy, but i just think that when people have medical issues, that is just assumed and doesnt need to be listed. maybe i should have also mentioned that lactose intolerant people have to avoid milk or people with heart disease should avoid fried foods.

Well, seeing that a large percentage of the USA population is either Diabetic or Prediabetic......or has some other type of Carbohydrate Metabolism Disorder.......this is something you may want to consider in your future posts.

It is a good thing to cherish the diversity of all peoples.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And people who are allergic to strawberries shouldn't eat strawberries. Furthermore, glucose-intolerant people need to back off glucose. Also, tickyul, your opinion about saturated fat has nothing to do with reality. Saturated fat is unhealthy. You don't have to like it, but not believing it, won't make it not be true.

OH, Ok because you say it is true....well, by gum, that makes it set in stone then.

Guess what, you can blather and site study after flawed study about the evils of saturated fat....expert A and expert B said this and that. Well, I can find some other expert to say just the opposite.

Like I said in other posts, show me a LARGE SCALE CLINICAL STUDY that isolates Saturated fat and its ill effects.....not Meta, not Survey, not a Vegans opinion, not a biased book.......facts.

Native Americans had very few ills of modern civilization and and they ate mainly meat and vegetable. Fatty meat was selected and prized as the best parts to eat.

Health food used to be liver and onions....now parents feed their kids Cheerios and Apple Juice.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:48 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Like I said in other posts, show me a LARGE SCALE CLINICAL STUDY that isolates Saturated fat and its ill effects.....not Meta, not Survey, not a Vegans opinion, not a biased book.......facts.

I am not sure what YOU think a meta study is.

In fact its simply a scientific procedure for combining the results of other studies, of whatever type.

Meta-analysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

meta studies are a standard part of science.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Native Americans had very few ills of modern civilization and and they ate mainly meat and vegetable. Fatty meat was selected and prized as the best parts to eat.
They also ate gathered grains and tubers, and for the last several hundred years most of them grew corn in considerable amounts.

And hunted meat is generally lower in sat fat than farm grown meat.

The Inuit paradox | Clinical Nature

"Fats have been demonised in the United States, says Eric Dewailly, professor of preventive medicine at Laval University in Quebec. In the Nunavik villages in northern Quebec, adults over 40 get almost half their calories from native foods and their cardiac death rate is about half of other Canadians or Americans. The heart of the Inuit paradox is that all fats are not created equal, more importantly the fats in Inuit native foods come from wild animals.
Farm animals, cooped up and stuffed with agricultural grains (carbohydrates) typically have lots of solid, highly saturated fat. Much of our processed food is also riddled with solid fats, or trans-fats, such as the re-engineered vegetable oils and shortenings hidden in baked goods and snacks. A lot of the packaged food on supermarket shelves contains them. So do commercial french fries.
Wild animals that range freely and eat what nature intended have fat that is far more healthful. Less of their fat is saturated, and more of it is in the monounsaturated form (like olive oil). Also, cold-water fishes and sea mammals are particularly rich in polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acids. The polyunsaturated fats in most American diets are the omega-6 fatty acids supplied by vegetable oils. By contrast, whale blubber consists of 70 percent monounsaturated fat and close to 30 percent omega-3s."

Old 04-13-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Health food used to be liver and onions....now parents feed their kids Cheerios and Apple Juice.
Onions are still healthy - they are free in weight watchers

Liver is an excellent source of iron and thus can prevent anemia - if one keeps TOTAL sat fat under control, liver can be part of a balanced diet.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:29 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
Carbs are bad/difficult for blood type O & 50% of America is BT O. I should know, I'm an O with 10 years recovery from carb addiction. Enough with the science studies. Scientists still don't get it. Carbs are touted as filling, nutritious, fiber filled solutions--- not the addictive, fattening hell they really are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss