Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:19 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,730,672 times

Advertisements

I guess I considered fruit to be one of the healthy treats that were not verboten. I can cut down those. But I will say I ate a lot of fruit when I lost weight initially. At that time I did have a noticeable belly. I went from a size 36 waist to a size 32. I have stayed at a size 32 even though I've gained about 15 pounds. Maybe it's muscle ... that would be nice! Again I don't think I'm fat. It's just the slow increase that has me concerned.

Anyone care to share what they eat regularly to reduce carb intake? I work quite a bit, so I often eat breakfast and lunch there. That's why I like the soy shakes and banana for breakfast -- for convenience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 10:16 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
A bit of background. I am a 5' 10" male, age 36, medium build. About 4 years ago I weighed about 195. I dieted really hard and got down to about 155-160. Since then some weight has slowly crept in.

At the time of my weight loss, I was jogging 3-5 miles 4 times a week. I have continued that routine. About 2 years ago I added some weight lifting after each jog.

I just got back from a health fair. I weighed 172, had a body fat percentage of 15% (using a handheld bio-electrical impedance meter), and a BMI of 24.4. All within "normal" though the BMI is getting close to "overweight".

I'm somewhat concerned that my weight is going up. I am trying to get back down to the 160 range. I have resumed the diet that I used four years ago, but the weight is not coming off. On a typical workday I eat a soy shake and fruit for breakfast. A ham or turkey sandwich on whole grain bread along with carrots at lunch, and another soy shake or protein bar mid-afternoon. I also might throw in a couple pieces of fruit here and there. For dinner I have a small serving of the main dish and quite a few vegetables or salad. I do tend to eat a bit more, including some deserts, on the weekends.

So my question is my weight gain cause for concern or not? I feel in good shape. When I run 10-k or 5-k races, I often place around 3rd in my age group. Blood pressure, heart rate, and lung capacity all tested good at the health fair.

Did, you, like talk to your doctor? If you are within the normal BMI, and have normal readings for lipids (cholesterol and triglycerides) and normal blood sugar, I can't think of any MEDICAL reason to worry about your weight. If you feel good, and you are okay with how you look, just relax.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I guess I considered fruit to be one of the healthy treats that were not verboten.
Fruit is very healthy, and fresh fruit can easily fit into a weight loss plan (it does on Weight Watchers) and certainly someone who is okay with their weight has no reason to avoid it. Even the American Diabetes Association encourages consumption of fresh fruit (though not so much dried fruit or juice, IIUC)

The folks around here discouraging fresh fruit are part of the "Carbs are evil" mafia. While SOME people have issues with carbs, and there are some successful weight loss plans built around low or very low carbs, there is no evidence that all carbs (especially high fiber sources of carbs like fresh fruit) are bad for you.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:30 AM

577 posts, read 900,087 times
I would not avoid fresh whole fruits. Fruit has SO many benefits including fiber that I always eat as much as I like. Fruit juice on the other hand can really pack on calories in a blink of an eye and you lose most of the fiber.

As far as your weight, it's hard to tell without seeing you. If you are really built and have no gut or flab then it could be muscle that you are weighing. I would go by how you FEEL and look as opposed to a BMI scale.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:45 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
i have no problem with carbs. fruit is delicious and they have some sugar. if you are gaining weight, its probably not the fruit thats doing it, unless you are eating it by the barrel.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:58 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Quote:
A bit of background. I am a 5' 10" male, age 36, medium build. About 4 years ago I weighed about 195. I dieted really hard and got down to about 155-160. Since then some weight has slowly crept in.

At the time of my weight loss, I was jogging 3-5 miles 4 times a week. I have continued that routine. About 2 years ago I added some weight lifting after each jog.

I just got back from a health fair. I weighed 172, had a body fat percentage of 15% (using a handheld bio-electrical impedance meter), and a BMI of 24.4. All within "normal" though the BMI is getting close to "overweight".

I'm somewhat concerned that my weight is going up. I am trying to get back down to the 160 range. I have resumed the diet that I used four years ago, but the weight is not coming off. On a typical workday I eat a soy shake and fruit for breakfast. A ham or turkey sandwich on whole grain bread along with carrots at lunch, and another soy shake or protein bar mid-afternoon. I also might throw in a couple pieces of fruit here and there. For dinner I have a small serving of the main dish and quite a few vegetables or salad. I do tend to eat a bit more, including some deserts, on the weekends.

So my question is my weight gain cause for concern or not? I feel in good shape. When I run 10-k or 5-k races, I often place around 3rd in my age group. Blood pressure, heart rate, and lung capacity all tested good at the health fair.
Let me just say that Soy, in high amounts, can be an endocrine disrupter, or so emerging science is showing. It can cause Estrogen levels to go up and possibly interfere with Testosterone levels, possibly leading to increased bodyfat levels. I would not consider Soy a health food.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:41 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
Fruit is a high sugar carb food, period. Reducing your intake to 1 piece a day is not that big a deal. Have an apple, you'll still get plenty of fiber. Actually, use oat bran for fiber if that is your real concern, works like a charm. You can have a *little* more fruit in the summer but 8-10 months out of the year you should stick with a reduced portion. There is nothing nutrtionally outstanding about fruit..........

Old 04-11-2011, 01:46 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
supplement your diet with 2-3 tablespoons of whole psyllium husk a day and you dont have to worry about your fiber intake.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
. There is nothing nutrtionally outstanding about fruit..........
just vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:11 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
Also found in vegetables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
just vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss