Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are YOU fat?
I'm Larger then Life 4 5.33%
Morbidly Obease 4 5.33%
Chunky 9 12.00%
Chubby 12 16.00%
Was fat - Now I'm Thin / Normal (Weight Loss Surgery) 6 8.00%
Normal 25 33.33%
Thin 13 17.33%
I make twiggy look fat 2 2.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:46 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times

Advertisements

You just want to check out the users that say they are smokin'...

Oh wait, that wasn't a choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 04:00 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
Isn't "normal" for women these days something like a size 14 or 16, especially for a middle aged woman? In which case normal, chubby and chunky would all count pretty much the same.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:17 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
I'm a sexy fat lady.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:35 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,185,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Isn't "normal" for women these days something like a size 14 or 16, especially for a middle aged woman? In which case normal, chubby and chunky would all count pretty much the same.
Hmmm, I guess normal would equate the median and I'm guessing that's at 14 now? Any way, I chose normal and I'm a size 6, which is not thin.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:29 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
i think that the average is to be heavier than normal. so i guess i dont think most people are normal. which is good for me. the worse other people look, the better i look.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:59 PM

OK well for the sake of transparency...I am in my 50s and a size six, I am by far the thinnest person I know (I live in a fat state) so my poll choice was "thin."

I almost put "normal" but a quick google revealed today's "normal" is a size 14 which I consider fat...I suppose there's some subjectivity in those designations though.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,936,361 times
Default Lucky me

I had weight loss surgery on Dec. 20, 2010. It was a gastric by-pass "Roux-En-Y" procedure.

At my heaviest I was 220 (couple of years ago) ... size 40 waist pants, 18 and 1/2 inch neck. Just before the surgery I was 212 pounds ... had been dieting and bouncing between 196 and 215.

There was never a time I was so fat that I had to buy my clothes at a "Big & Tall Man's Shop" ... but I was overweight.

I am now down to 155 and my waist is 34 and my neck is 17. My goal is to lose another 10 to 12 pounds, but I am now considered "thin" and can wear athletic cut tailored shirts.

The surgery was done not so I could be thin. It was done because I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and it was not being controlled by medications this past year. Ordinarily I would never have been considered eligible for weight loss surgery because I was not that obese, but they made an exception in my case. In most cases you must have a BMI of 40 or over to be accepted for bariatric surgery.

The diabetes is in complete remission and I am now off ALL diabetes medications.

It was the best decision of my life.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:58 PM

One of my best friends tried and tried to negotiate with her insurance company to get bariatric or a similar surgery...her doctor was convinced it would cure her diabetes. She'd lost 100 lbs and cut her insulin requirements by more than half on an Atkins-type diet but losing the rest was just too difficult.

Anyway...Insurance denied. Over the course of the following year, the insurance company ended up paying much, much more....several visits to hospital including one stay of over a month for failing kidneys and MRSA. Her doctor finally convinced her to file for disability, and because she had such a tough time getting through a work day she eventually did.

End result - she is sicker than she would have been without bariatric surgery two years ago. The insurance company had to pay tens of thousands more in medical bills. And she's on disability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I had weight loss surgery on Dec. 20, 2010. It was a gastric by-pass "Roux-En-Y" procedure.

At my heaviest I was 220 (couple of years ago) ... size 40 waist pants, 18 and 1/2 inch neck. Just before the surgery I was 212 pounds ... had been dieting and bouncing between 196 and 215.

There was never a time I was so fat that I had to buy my clothes at a "Big & Tall Man's Shop" ... but I was overweight.

I am now down to 155 and my waist is 34 and my neck is 17. My goal is to lose another 10 to 12 pounds, but I am now considered "thin" and can wear athletic cut tailored shirts.

The surgery was done not so I could be thin. It was done because I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and it was not being controlled by medications this past year. Ordinarily I would never have been considered eligible for weight loss surgery because I was not that obese, but they made an exception in my case. In most cases you must have a BMI of 40 or over to be accepted for bariatric surgery.

The diabetes is in complete remission and I am now off ALL diabetes medications.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:21 PM

806 posts, read 2,340,979 times
I had trouble deciding which to pick.
I chose Normal..

My arms and legs are athletic and fine, not super muscular, no flab.
I can see my collarbone
Hubby says I have a nice backside, though I think I could tone it more...

I'm SUPER frustrated because last summer I busted my rump to get fit, I thought I was doing GREAT! Was down to 145 and FIT from hiking...

October, halloween candy and X-mas treats brought me up to 164.
My belly and some love handles returned.....

I started in January with a serious diet change and thought I was doing well,
Still NO weight loss....

Now I am back to the gym and trying to beat the winter blues, thankfully its spring, by riding my bike, etc.
Still NO weight loss...

I feel like I barely eat.....

My problem is is that I don't accept flab....
So I then consider myself FAT...
YES I HAVE ISSUES!!!!!

Our future looks grim, we are losing healthcare benefits and I cannot afford to go to the doctors, even for routine things, so I am trying to get my health at the best living level so I don't have to take meds ever...
Seems like thats all healthcare is about-passing pills...
Not 4 me...

Survival of the FITTEST, so true..

Old 04-19-2011, 08:23 PM

806 posts, read 2,340,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark park View Post
i had weight loss surgery on dec. 20, 2010. It was a gastric by-pass "roux-en-y" procedure.

At my heaviest i was 220 (couple of years ago) ... Size 40 waist pants, 18 and 1/2 inch neck. Just before the surgery i was 212 pounds ... Had been dieting and bouncing between 196 and 215.

There was never a time i was so fat that i had to buy my clothes at a "big & tall man's shop" ... But i was overweight.

I am now down to 155 and my waist is 34 and my neck is 17. My goal is to lose another 10 to 12 pounds, but i am now considered "thin" and can wear athletic cut tailored shirts.

The surgery was done not so i could be thin. It was done because i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and it was not being controlled by medications this past year. Ordinarily i would never have been considered eligible for weight loss surgery because i was not that obese, but they made an exception in my case. In most cases you must have a bmi of 40 or over to be accepted for bariatric surgery.

The diabetes is in complete remission and i am now off all diabetes medications.

awesome!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss