Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 02:34 PM

278 posts, read 576,935 times

Advertisements

I try to stick with eating things that have been around for at least 100 years. That cuts down on the level of processing, preservatives,etc. Hopefully the things are in their more natural state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 03:18 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
My mom has some meat that's been in her fridge for at least 30 years. Does that count?

Old 05-15-2011, 11:05 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Actually Sally Fallon and Mary Enig are not fad diet types and they really seem to know their stuff. They have written several diet books and all seem based on nutritional principles that have been in existence for thousands of years. This is not Atkins with coconut oil and with them, sauerkraut is a health food.

Oh yeah, and I think what the powers of advertising did was convince us that fat is bad for us and then they took the fat out of our food and sold it for a higher price overseas and we all just got fatter and fatter as we worked desperately to lower our fat grams even more. Got news for you: THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES ON!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:27 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
One of the better kept secrets, have been reading a lot about it lately.

EAT FAT LOSE FAT

It turns out everything you've heard about saturated fat and the lipid hypothesis of heart disease is wrong.

Coconutoil.com - Research on Coconut Oil's Health Benefits

Weight Loss using Virgin Coconut Oil, information, research and results
Why must people make weight loss so complicated???? The secret is to eat moderate amounts of WHOLE FOODS. Reduce meat consumption and processed foods (including diet soda) and eat lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, brown rice, nuts, and beans (in moderate amounts).

If you're overweight and having trouble sticking to a reasonable eating plan, go to Overeater's Anonymous. A friend of mine did that and she lost 60 pounds and has kept it off for 2 years now. She still goes to meetings every week. It's the best thing she ever did for herself. She told me "I never thought of myself as an overeater, but I was". I think that applies to most overweight people. Since being overweight has become so normal, people don't even realize they're overeating. It doesn't help that processed foods have a lot of calories but don't make you feel full (because of low fiber content)...so you end up eating a lot more of the processed foods than you would of the whole foods....and it's a double whammy because the processed foods have more calories in the first place.

For a very simple book on sane eating read:

Food Rules by Michael Pollan.

Amazon.com: Food Rules: An Eater's Manual (9780143116387): Michael Pollan: Books

Old 05-16-2011, 01:30 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
I try to stick with eating things that have been around for at least 100 years. That cuts down on the level of processing, preservatives,etc. Hopefully the things are in their more natural state.
Bingo!

One of Michael Pollan's "food rules" is "if your grandmother or great-grandmother wouldn't have recognized it as food, don't eat it."

Old 05-16-2011, 05:36 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Why must people make weight loss so complicated???? The secret is to eat moderate amounts of WHOLE FOODS. Reduce meat consumption and processed foods (including diet soda) and eat lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, brown rice, nuts, and beans (in moderate amounts). [/url]
Actually this is exactly how they recommend that you eat. Check out their cookbook from years ago called Nourishing Traditions. What's interesting is that it was considered really radical stuff when it came out over 20 years ago because they were recommending that you eat moderate amounts of fat, meat, and butter, as well as coconut oil, vegetables, and whole grains that had been soaked to rid them of the phytic acid content. Their recommendations are based off of the research of Weston A. Price who was a huge fan of whole foods. BTW, they really do not recommend soy foods at all, unless they've been fermented.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:35 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
there is evidence that coconut does not raise your bad cholestorol. AFAICT that applies ONLY to whole coconut, not to coconut oil.

Hydrogenated margarines with lots of transfats are bad. AFAICT most folks have been going to better margarines for years. Another strawman argument.

The evidence connecting high bad cholesterol levels to CVD is very strong.

Low carb is one way to lose weight. The weight loss from it can, AFAICT, offset the impact of increasing sat fat intake, for some individuals.

Calories in calories out is another way to lose weight, one that can be done consistently with a low sat fat approach.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Bingo!

One of Michael Pollan's "food rules" is "if your grandmother or great-grandmother wouldn't have recognized it as food, don't eat it."

In my great grandparents time, people got ergot poisoning, and other bad things from spoiled food. They also had to adjust their entire lives around food preparation.

While I try to limit my consumption of heavily processed foods, I will NOT make it a rigid rule - and I will evaluate specific additives based on the available scientific evidence.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Coconut oil is an avoid for my genotype & indeed gave me a headache & stomach ache. Will be sticking with unpolitically correct butter. Whole point of links is to get you to rethink saturated fats. The fact is, the lipid hypothesis is falling apart---- limiting saturated fats hasn't lowered rate of heart disease which has only gone up.

are you living in a world where americans have actually decreased their sat fat intake? Where I live, folks still buy skim milk, then order a big mac for lunch.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:19 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
One of the better kept secrets, have been reading a lot about it lately.

EAT FAT LOSE FAT

It turns out everything you've heard about saturated fat and the lipid hypothesis of heart disease is wrong.

Coconutoil.com - Research on Coconut Oil's Health Benefits

Weight Loss using Virgin Coconut Oil, information, research and results
Hmmm. A website called coconutoil.com touting the benefits of coconut oil. Imagine that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss