Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,708 times

Advertisements

I tried this way, but did't reach my expected goal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 07:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
It's all over You Tube as well......
So are David Hasselhoff videos.

That doesn't mean he's Sinatra.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:55 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Interesting but just preparing food would be a full time job. But that's what it used to be back when anyway!

I am a carb watcher because that's what worked for me. I pay no attention to fat at all and I have low cholesterol. Again, that's what worked for me.
It's true, though they do have a section on how to cut down some of the cooking and work it into a busy lifestyle. What I'd like to say though is that what I like about this book is that they don't cave into commercial interests or the realities of a busy lifestyle. They present the info and you can do with it what you'd like. Some of their recommendations are quite difficult, like using raw dairy instead of pasteurized, but they still give you the info. I don't know about the present book about healthy fats, but the old cookbook doesn't give the feeling that there is any commercial interest behind it at all. Nowadays it would tie in quite well with the slow food and locavore eating movements.

An interesting aside too after reading all the low carb vs low fat infighting here, is that there wasn't much consistency in the healthy cultures that Weston Price studied, except that the people didn't use "foods of commerce" as he called them. Some people in the far north ate nothing but meat--no veggies at all--the original low carb diet, and they did quite well on it. Some groups ate a lot of fish and some ate a lot of dairy products. Some ate rather high carb, though no simple ones of course, and very little meat or fish. Apparently we are all adaptable enough to eat high carb or low carb and the point with this book I suspect is that no matter which way you choose, get the high quality fats (and foods in general) in rather than the low quality. I avoid generic type vegetable oils these days--you know, the canola or soy oils made with GMO grain, or cottonseed Crisco type products. Nowadays I'm cooking with coconut oil, grapeseed oil, olive oil, or butter.

Honestly, no matter which way you choose to eat, just go for quality foods and even if you don't lose weight you'll be healthier and have more energy. I think we can all agree on that.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:08 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennycc View Post
I tried this way, but did't reach my expected goal
Tried which way? They've all been arguing about low carb vs low fat. Which way? Did you get almost there and then stop or did you not lose weight at all? Elaborate please.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:10 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,934 times
The main thing is to eat correctly for your metabolic type/genetics, which can be determined through your blood type. Some people don't do well on animal fats. I have a friend who just genotyped as a blood type A Teacher. He hasnt used butter in years, is really wary of it. It's an avoid on his genotyped diet. I personallt couldn't live without it, feel good with butter in my diet & should go have some blood tests done--- I bet my lipids are just fine.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:18 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
The main thing is to eat correctly for your metabolic type/genetics, which can be determined through your blood type. Some people don't do well on animal fats. I have a friend who just genotyped as a blood type A Teacher. He hasnt used butter in years, is really wary of it. It's an avoid on his genotyped diet. I personallt couldn't live without it, feel good with butter in my diet & should go have some blood tests done--- I bet my lipids are just fine.
I am blood type A and do very well on the high protein low carb diets that are supposed to be reserved for blood type O.

Explain.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:54 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,962,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I am blood type A and do very well on the high protein low carb diets that are supposed to be reserved for blood type O.

Explain.
I'm a blood type O and feel really ill if I eat as much protein as it prescribes. Carbs make me feel great. Anyone with any knowledge of what blood types actually mean would not take this diet seriously at all.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:06 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
Anyone with any knowledge of what blood types actually mean would not take this diet seriously at all.
EXACTLY

This diet has been destroyed by real doctors with respect for the scientific process.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:26 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,934 times
You do not.
Quote:

Explain.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:00 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,962,668 times
Quote:
EXACTLY

This diet has been destroyed by real doctors with respect for the scientific process.
The premise seems sound. Eat based on where your ancestors originated, and what branch of the evolutionary tree you're on. But considering the spread of blood types throughout the world, it doesn't hold water. A single immunoglobulin tells you very very little about your genotype. I'm type O, my parents are type A (common with heterozygosity). I would think that since I'm their direct decendent, we should probably have the same diet.

And with no double-blinded scientific studies, it's impossible to support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss