Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:10 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,082,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Have you thought about trying Atkins? Some people lose 15 pounds their first two weeks on induction (granted some of that is water weight but it's gratifying seeing quick results). However, the norm is more like 5-10 with a couple pounds a week after that.
I was actually going to look into southbeach or some form of low-carb plan.

The issue is I am somewhat limited on what I CAN eat...very limited dairy and wheat, no beef products, no pork...I love veggies, beans and fruit (though I don't eat a ton of fruit...a piece or two a day, sometimes not at all). I eat fish twice a week typically, chicken once a week and the rest is veggies/carbs.

I think I tend to eat too many carbs because it's easy and it's something I can eat.

My fear is that I'll be hungry if I cut them out.

I really need to take a few days and make a food log to figure out where I'm going wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 01:33 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,268,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I was actually going to look into southbeach or some form of low-carb plan.

The issue is I am somewhat limited on what I CAN eat...very limited dairy and wheat, no beef products, no pork...I love veggies, beans and fruit (though I don't eat a ton of fruit...a piece or two a day, sometimes not at all). I eat fish twice a week typically, chicken once a week and the rest is veggies/carbs.

I think I tend to eat too many carbs because it's easy and it's something I can eat.

My fear is that I'll be hungry if I cut them out.

I really need to take a few days and make a food log to figure out where I'm going wrong.
You can do fish, chicken and most veggies (particularly green ones at first) on Atkins. It's a lot easier if you can also eat butter, eggs and cheese. Once you're through induction you can add nuts as a snack. I'm never hungry but I don't have any limitations on what I can or like to eat. I will admit you do spend a lot more time preparing your meals since you're not getting anything ready made out of a box or a bag.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
You can do fish, chicken and most veggies (particularly green ones at first) on Atkins. It's a lot easier if you can also eat butter, eggs and cheese. Once you're through induction you can add nuts as a snack. I'm never hungry but I don't have any limitations on what I can or like to eat. I will admit you do spend a lot more time preparing your meals since you're not getting anything ready made out of a box or a bag.
I do this anyway, so that won't be a negative for me. Feeding 6, it's a lot cheaper to make everything.

I can eat eggs...I'll have to do a little research on some low-carb plans.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:47 PM

Here's a sample low-carb day for me:

Breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled with a tbs. Boursin cheese and a dollop of cream. 2 slices nitrate free bacon (I realize you don't eat pork). Half a zucchini and a quarter onion sauteed in the bacon drippings (or olive oil if no bacon). Black coffee.

Lunch - Club salad of lettuce, turkey, cheddar cheese, green onion and tomato, with a vinagreitte dressing.

Snack: A dozen almonds

Dinner: 8 oz. steak, vegetable, Mushrooms stuffed with grated cheese and red pepper.

Dessert: 2 strawberries with a Tbs. of heavy cream.

Drink at least a gallon of water throughout the day.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Here's a sample low-carb day for me:

Breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled with a tbs. Boursin cheese and a dollop of cream. 2 slices nitrate free bacon (I realize you don't eat pork). Half a zucchini and a quarter onion sauteed in the bacon drippings (or olive oil if no bacon). Black coffee.

Lunch - Club salad of lettuce, turkey, cheddar cheese, green onion and tomato, with a vinagreitte dressing.

Snack: A dozen almonds

Dinner: 8 oz. steak, vegetable, Mushrooms stuffed with grated cheese and red pepper.

Dessert: 2 strawberries with a Tbs. of heavy cream.

Drink at least a gallon of water throughout the day.

I'm looking at my meals the last two days and one is relatively low carb and one is carb heavy. I guess I need to find balance. Maybe that's the key for me?

Old 06-26-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I'm looking at my meals the last two days and one is relatively low carb and one is carb heavy. I guess I need to find balance. Maybe that's the key for me?
Or replicate your low carb day. How did it work for you?

Old 06-27-2011, 02:51 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,287,942 times
Protein, vegetables and fruits are the best foods for all people.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:16 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,406,735 times
Go with the balance first and there's obviously no one-size-fits-all diet that works for everyyone. Just like there's no way you could make a statement that says vegetables and fruits are the best foods for all people. I guarantee you any endocrinologist worth their salt will 100% disagree with that statement. Heavy veggie and fruit diets can easily kill your average diabetic..

Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Just like there's no way you could make a statement that says vegetables and fruits are the best foods for all people. I guarantee you any endocrinologist worth their salt will 100% disagree with that statement. Heavy veggie and fruit diets can easily kill your average diabetic..

Also depends on the kinds of fruits and vegetables. I doubt a lot of leafy greens would be a problem for a diabetic versus beets, carrots, or potatoes. On the fruit side, berries would probably not be an issue in moderation but apples could be due to their high sugar content. Canned fruits would be a no-no as they normally have added sugar. It comes down to what triggers insulin.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:58 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,570,415 times
Quote:
It was likely the sugar.

I dont think you have enought information to make that statement. Not everyone has carb addiction or whatever. Many people are able to eat carbs as they would any other food. It really is the total calories. I don't think you can generalize from "avoiding carbs in the context of a low carb diet can lead to weight loss" to "the only problematic foods for anyone are carbs"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss