Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:59 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Perhaps this is one reason low carb diets seem to work well for older people.

I am 51 and found WW to work well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
They're figuring out that potatoes prepared any way are not very good for you if you're trying to control your weight.

if you are referring to the linked study, they found that chips were the worst - though not fries. And of course that whole grains were good.

Thats why the study is so tantalizing - its results dont conform to ANY of the prevailing ideologies.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
On the fruit side, berries would probably not be an issue in moderation but apples could be due to their high sugar content.
ADA does not suggest eliminating apples. I continued to eat apples while on WW, and while lowering by blood sugar level from the top to the "prediabetic range" to the bottom of that range.

Its going to depend on how much (in moderation or not) and what you are changing in the rest of your diet (adding apples and taking away potato chips is probably a good deal for many folks with blood sugar issues, IIUC)

Old 06-27-2011, 08:14 AM

283 posts, read 408,820 times
i quite smoking seven months ago and have put on 30pds and it is driving me crazy, i have serious pain in my knee's and hips so i am desprit to loose the wait. I am following the Dr. Oz , You on a diet and i am not loosing anything. I try to exersise as much as i can but pain makes me cry. I am so tired of the weight. I don't know what to do. I eat right and do everything i can, anyone got some real ideas that will get the weight off quick before i become a type 2 diebetic .I am worried. I need some serious help. I weight 240 but i am only 5/5 . Need some serious ideas

Old 06-27-2011, 09:11 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
To Stay Slim in Middle Age, Lay Off the Potato Chips, French Fries, Soda and Bacon - - TIME Healthland

granted there are limitations to the study (noted in the article) but interesting nonetheless
Anyone with at least a 7th grade education knows that chips, fries, soda and bacon are bad for you. Its just that people who eat a lot of that crap are either lazy, stupid, or so NOT in control of their own bodies to where they say things like "Oh, I just HAVE to have my diet coke........" or "I feel like I am depriving myself if I dont eat my bacon....".

Old 06-27-2011, 09:30 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,719 times
Potato chips: I doubt I even buy a bag a year. Had chips twice this year because they came with a sandwich, and I only had a few, they were gourmet, organic chips. I don't really like them, the gourmet ones were okay, but plain ones are just greasy and salty imo.

French fries: Haven't had an order in so many years I can't even count. And I don't miss them.

Soda: I have a diet soda every once in awhile if I am very thirsty and the nearest thing around is a soda machine, but I prefer to go for water and iced tea, so it is very rare.

Bacon: Haven't had it in about 20 years and even then it was rare.

I generally do not crave unhealthy food, I crave foods that my body needs and that are nutritionally dense. I do have frozen yogurt weekly and a glass or two of red wine as well as dessert on special occasions. Those are my indulgences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
To Stay Slim in Middle Age, Lay Off the Potato Chips, French Fries, Soda and Bacon - - TIME Healthland

granted there are limitations to the study (noted in the article) but interesting nonetheless

Old 06-27-2011, 10:12 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Anyone with at least a 7th grade education knows that chips, fries, soda and bacon are bad for you. .
There's nothing wrong with bacon if it's nitrate free. The fat on a piece of bacon isn't any worse than the fat on a steak. One slice only has about 90 calories and most people don't eat more than two. Fatty foods do not necessarily make you fat. You can easily eat bacon and keep your calorie count consumed below your calories expended. Not sure I can say the same thing about a bagel (over 300 calories) and one of those gazillion calore candy-coffee drinks people now consume for breakfast. .

Old 06-27-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with bacon if it's nitrate free. The fat on a piece of bacon isn't any worse than the fat on a steak. One slice only has about 90 calories and most people don't eat more than two. Fatty foods do not necessarily make you fat. You can easily eat bacon and keep your calorie count consumed below your calories expended. Not sure I can say the same thing about a bagel (over 300 calories) and one of those gazillion calore candy-coffee drinks people now consume for breakfast. .

I eat bagels and kept my calorie count below calories expended (or the same, now that Im on maintenance). Just can't eat so many of them (sometimes I eat only half a bagel, and try to get one made with whole grains, to be more filling). Whether people are more likely to be satisfied with half a bagel, or with two strips of bacon, is a personal matter. I know on WW eating a moderate amount of steak was for me just as challenging as portion control with high carb foods (I can't speak to real bacon, as I havent eaten it in decades for religious reasons, and while I have difficulty eating ONLY two "morningstar breakfast strips" I suppose someone will say thats BECAUSE they lack the fat in bacon)

Old 06-27-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Anyone with at least a 7th grade education knows that chips, fries, soda and bacon are bad for you. Its just that people who eat a lot of that crap are either lazy, stupid, or so NOT in control of their own bodies to where they say things like "Oh, I just HAVE to have my diet coke........" or "I feel like I am depriving myself if I dont eat my bacon....".

1. the study has many much less intuitive results, thats just the headline

2. Bacon is clearly a matter of debate. Ergo, this data point is interesting.

3. Even for the other foods, it appears FROM THIS STUDY that they have an impact on weight apart from their caloric content.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
One slice only has about 90 calories and most people don't eat more than two. Fatty foods do not necessarily make you fat. You can easily eat bacon and keep your calorie count consumed below your calories expended.
Its not just about calories is about HEALTHY EATING. By your rationale, someone could eat a bag or two of Twinkies per day as long as they stay under a certain number of calories. That is nonsense.

Bacon tastes good, but it is NOT good for you. I love bacon. LOVE IT. Love the smell of it, the taste of it, everything. But I rarely eat it because it doesnt fit into my healthy eating lifestyle. Sure, I'll on occasion have bacon if I go to Corner Bakery for breakfast. They have this "Farmers Scramble" there where eggs are scrambled with ham and bacon and veggies. Tastes good, but I say I eat that maybe only 3-4 times per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss