Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:05 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,579,856 times

Advertisements

To Stay Slim in Middle Age, Lay Off the Potato Chips, French Fries, Soda and Bacon - - TIME Healthland

granted there are limitations to the study (noted in the article) but interesting nonetheless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 12:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,825,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
To Stay Slim in Middle Age, Lay Off the Potato Chips, French Fries, Soda and Bacon - - TIME Healthland

granted there are limitations to the study (noted in the article) but interesting nonetheless
Didn't read the article, but commenting on the title - I have potato chips maybe once every 4-5 months.

I occasionally (once a month) steal 3-4 fries from my hubby's weekly Burger King meal.

I occasionally (once every 2 weeks) have 2-3 sips of my hubby's suppertime Pepsi. Otherwise, I drink no soda.

Once every few months, I'll buy a package of bacon and cook half for hubby/my pancake breakfast. I'll cook the rest of it up sometime within the next couple of days, and eat it myself. Then, it's back to no bacon at all for the next few months.

I feel so deprived <sob>

Old 06-23-2011, 12:23 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,420,395 times
I think you are depriving yourself too much, AnonChick. Doing the exact opposite would obviously be bad too, but you should find some happy medium between the two.
I am personally a big fan of potato chips, so I eat the Lays or Pringles with Olestra. I know some people have issues with that stuff, so it's not for everyone, but it's a good way to get a nice treat without breaking the calorie bank and potato chips are a great source of potassium.
It's easy for me to avoid sugar drinks because I never liked them, but I do have a sweet tooth and enjoy some junk every now and then. Moderation is the key and also the most difficult part. I've found those 100 calorie serving size containers help quite a bit, even though they totally rip you off as far as their price. Another solution would be to buy the bigger bag and a scale (if you don't already have one, even though anyone trying to lose weight should have one) and measure out the same serving size into your own snack size bags.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:26 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,494,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I think you are depriving yourself too much, AnonChick. Doing the exact opposite would obviously be bad too, but you should find some happy medium between the two.
I am personally a big fan of potato chips, so I eat the Lays or Pringles with Olestra. I know some people have issues with that stuff, so it's not for everyone, but it's a good way to get a nice treat without breaking the calorie bank and potato chips are a great source of potassium.
It's easy for me to avoid sugar drinks because I never liked them, but I do have a sweet tooth and enjoy some junk every now and then. Moderation is the key and also the most difficult part. I've found those 100 calorie serving size containers help quite a bit, even though they totally rip you off as far as their price. Another solution would be to buy the bigger bag and a scale (if you don't already have one, even though anyone trying to lose weight should have one) and measure out the same serving size into your own snack size bags.
I agree. I think you can eat some things that you like...and the key word is moderation. I am wondering how sun chips are a good choice if you have a chip craving, like I do every once in a while. I get the tiny bags you buy in bulk so I am sure not to keep eating and eating........

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:34 PM

420 posts, read 1,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I agree. I think you can eat some things that you like...and the key word is moderation. I am wondering how sun chips are a good choice if you have a chip craving, like I do every once in a while. I get the tiny bags you buy in bulk so I am sure not to keep eating and eating........

Chips in general arent good. An ounce of sunchips is around 20 carbs, not great for you... but not the end of the world.

I disagree with throwing bacon in there... I'd need to see exactly how this study was done to figure out if I agree with the findings. Studies like this are so hard to control, so unless the only difference in diet were the products they were testing then the entire study is moot

Old 06-23-2011, 12:48 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,391,171 times
I just cut out chips because of this article. I've been eating them frequently.

Main tortillas and salsa.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:38 PM

I had potato chips the other day - but because I am doing WW maintenance, I counted them out, ate many fewer than I would have in the old days. And I dont eat them often.

Similarly fries - I had some the other day, cause they came with a steak, and they were specially made. I dont eat fast food fries anymore (I mean I would if there were few other choices, but usually there are)

I dont eat bacon due to my (limited) observance of kashrut.

Note well, the study did NOT arrive at its results by counting any particular macro nutrient - it was not based on how many fats OR carbs or anything else were in each food. They simply used reported food consumption and did statistical analysis of outcomes. As the article states some foods COULD be serving as proxies for good or bad lifestyles in general. And the self-reporting of consumption could be wrong. So its not really probative of anything, and if the foods listed contradict your own particular dietary dogmas, feel free to ignore. I find it suggestive though.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:40 PM

"For each extra serving of potato chips eaten in a day, for instance, people gained 1.69 lbs. every four years. Among the other extra-fattening foods the study highlighted: potatoes. Baked, boiled, mashed or French fried, each extra serving of potatoes was associated with an average 1.28-lb. weight gain (looked at separately, French fries were particularly unhealthy, linked with more than 3 lbs. of gain alone). Rounding out the top five most fattening foods were sugar-sweetened beverages, red meat and processed red meat, each associated with about 1 lb. of weight gain every four years.
So why would potatoes be particularly fattening? It's not clear. Maybe because they're generally eaten in large quantities, Mozaffarian says, or possibly because, as some previous research has shown, they are the type of food that causes big spikes in blood sugar and insulin, which tends to make people hungrier and overeat at their next meal. Other starches and refined carbohydrates like white bread, white rice, low-fiber breakfast cereal, candy and desserts may affect the body the same way, he says. (On average, the study showed that foods that fell into the "refined grains" and "sweets and desserts" categories were associated
categories were associated with just under a half-pound of weight gain.)

Old 06-23-2011, 03:13 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,825,924 times
Potato chips are bad for me because of the salt, and because they're fried. I don't -like- sun chips, veggie chips, baked chips, unsalted chips. I wouldn't eat them at all, let alone infrequently.

But put a bag of Lays' original, or Ruffles original, or even Cape Cod kettle chips in front of me, and you won't be getting the bag back til it's empty. And then, I'll feel like crap for the next two days.

Same with bacon. I eat it til there isn't any more. And pretzels, and omg anchovies are a serious weakness..

In short, I'm a salt freak. I LOVE salted things. And it's unhealthy to consume as much as I -would- consume, if I kept that stuff in the house. And so - I don't keep it in the house and instead, I have a mini-binge every few months.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:31 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,291,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
and the key word is moderation.
Well of course, cause you're a moderator.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with bacon as long as you get a nitrate free kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss