Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 07:54 PM

14 posts, read 54,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'm just going by the accepted definition. Whether you think you look good or not, you could be putting your health at risk being that heavy. Check with your doctor though if you don't believe me.
i go to to the doc regularly, and i'm in perfect health. all my stats (blood pressure, cholesterol, etc) are perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 09:36 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerKiddd View Post
sorry, but that doesnt help....what do you mean?
It means I am much heavier than you are.

Actually, 10 pounds is not much. But, if you gain 10 pounds every year,
it adds up fast.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:47 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Interesting, I am five foot ten and 220 lbs. I can take a lungfull of air and sit quietly on the bottom of the pool. I am a sinker, have been one since I was 14 yrs old. I am still an excellent swimmer, a truly good thing if one can not float. My wife says she has always suspected I am incredibly dense. I suspect she has a differing connotation for the word.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Interesting, I am five foot ten and 220 lbs. I can take a lungfull of air and sit quietly on the bottom of the pool. I am a sinker, have been one since I was 14 yrs old. I am still an excellent swimmer, a truly good thing if one can not float. My wife says she has always suspected I am incredibly dense. I suspect she has a differing connotation for the word.
err, how does this help me?

Old 07-05-2011, 08:26 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerKiddd View Post
err, how does this help me?
I would suspect that the weight is not necessarily a problem, it depends upon just what constitutes that weight. If you have four double chins and your whole body jiggles as you walk, perhaps it is time to lose weight. Can you still see your toes while standing?

Old 07-05-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I would suspect that the weight is not necessarily a problem, it depends upon just what constitutes that weight. If you have four double chins and your whole body jiggles as you walk, perhaps it is time to lose weight. Can you still see your toes while standing?
What's you people's problem? I am the same size as your average american...stop calling me fat and acting like I weigh 500 pounds. Geesh. Didn't know people on C-D were so hateful.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:37 PM

865 posts, read 2,502,155 times
At the risk of feeding the trolls... Computerkiddd, some of the responses you're getting are based on the fact that your BMI or height/weight ratio are very high and classify you as obese on any height/weight chart or insurance table. Having said that, I find such charts to be garbage. I've been an athlete for most of my life and have always fallen into the overweight range, even though my BF% was consistent very low. I have known many fellow athletes through the years that were heavier than me but still in excellent health.

Go with your doc's reports and get a reliable BF test done. I don't know your age, but if your BF is 10-15% (depending on age) your probably DO look good despite your weight.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:27 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
To answer your question directly:

Yes, I am sure the next 10 pounds is noticeable. I am sure it is just AS noticeable as each set of ten pounds, of the previous 40 pounds over and above what is considered a "normal" weight for a male standing at 5'6". Assuming you have some good solid muscle and are naturally stocky, 180 pounds would be expected, with just a little bit of extra padding, nothing noticeable, possibly even considered sexy by some women.

From 180, every additional 10 pounds is going to be noticeable. If you truly consider 220 at 5'6" to be normal, then you might have a little trouble with body image (thinking that morbidly obese looks good).

Old 07-06-2011, 05:41 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
As you get heavier, something like 10 pounds isn't easily noticed. If you were your correct weight, and you're not even close, then yes, 10 pounds would be very noticeable. Hell, I can notice two or three pounds on myself pretty easily. Back in my super heavy days, I could probably gain a couple pounds in a day and not even notice.
As far as the girls, maybe they like heavy guys? and why do I keep hearing Cartman?

Old 07-06-2011, 05:46 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
As you get heavier, something like 10 pounds isn't easily noticed. If you were your correct weight, and you're not even close, then yes, 10 pounds would be very noticeable. Hell, I can notice two or three pounds on myself pretty easily. Back in my super heavy days, I could probably gain a couple pounds in a day and not even notice.
That raises an interesting thought: perhaps that's why people tend to gain a lot of weight over time. After they get to a certain level of overweight they just don't see the couple pound changes anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss