Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:26 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
From my research this year Paleo, the raw foods movement and fasting are all more popular than low carbs. WW is a system that many stick with also.
Kind of a "Family Feud" approach to selecting a diet. Not the most effective but the most popular that counts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 11:04 PM

420 posts, read 1,370,082 times
Quote:
It's the first link that pulls up when you google " is low carbs dead." I couldn't care less that WW was mentioned. There are other more recent articles....

Is The Low Carb Diet Dead?

From my research this year Paleo, the raw foods movement and fasting are all more popular than low carbs. WW is a system that many stick with also.

Paleo is a low carb diet...

Old 07-09-2011, 12:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
Low carb is the diet recommended for diabetics-90 carbs per day for me based on the diabetic nutritionist's recommendations (6 servings).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Low carb is the diet recommended for diabetics-90 carbs per day for me based on the diabetic nutritionist's recommendations (6 servings).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
90 is quite a few and would probably blow me out of ketosis. I keep it under 50.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:22 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,811,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Kind of a "Family Feud" approach to selecting a diet. Not the most effective but the most popular that counts?
Hey Dukan do it!

Old 07-09-2011, 03:24 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,084,295 times
Quote:
The low carb diet is generally dead, The Zone and Atkins type day in and day out where you count all your macronutrients like a freak. Low carbs with intermittent fasting seems to be catching on with with some people...................
Why do you insist on making claims as if you as at the forefront of science and nutrition when you are actually a ways behind?

Low carb diets are not, and will probably never be dead. They remain the preferred method of choice in the body building and weight loss communities. Your new found love, intermittent fasting, is no where near as popular as the low carb approach.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:22 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,489,298 times
I didn't read all through this thread but my question is...how many carbs should you have a day? Is it based on age, weight, or what. I find it hard to stay under 40 a day.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:34 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,084,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I didn't read all through this thread but my question is...how many carbs should you have a day? Is it based on age, weight, or what. I find it hard to stay under 40 a day.
Depends on the specific diet you are following as they each have their own guidelines. I can tell you that the one I follow (which is really carb cycling designed for bodybuilders and athletes) wants you under 30g a day during the cutting/weight loss phase. That level is then adjusted upward in the muscle building and bullking phases to account for the increased levels of energy required.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:19 AM

Atkins advises under a 20 a day for the first two weeks and then add back a daily 5 more each week after that. You then stick with the weight loss you're comfortable with and as you reach your goal weight figure out how many you can eat per day and neither gain or lose weight. This can be at different levels for different people so there's no firm rule.

It's not as hard as it seems to stay below 40 if all you eat are meat, veggies, nuts, eggs, cheese and a few berries, which is what I do. Most of my carbs come from vegetables.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:18 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times
Well I checked the American Diabetes Association's website for articles about carb counting, and two other sources written by medical nutritionists who work with diabetes. I did this because diabetes requires specialized eating habits to limit/control insulin levels, and carbohydrates have an impact on insulin. I figured if anyone would know what's a healthy intake of carbs, the ADA would. And I checked the non-ADA sites for comparison.

All three of them recommended *for people who are NOT trying to lose weight, who are trying to maintain an already healthy body* between 45-60 grams of carbs PER MEAL, assuming 3 meals per day with no snacks.

The average total consumption recommendation was 165 grams per day.

So if you're trying to lose weight, you'd adjust downward from 165. You need to have between 25-30 grams of fiber every day, which means you *must* have *some* carbs every day, in the form of foods that provide fiber. There's really no getting around that, if you want to be healthy while you're losing weight, so a "no carb" diet would be unhealthy, solely because it would require that you don't get any fiber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss