Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 08:09 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well I checked the American Diabetes Association's website for articles about carb counting, and two other sources written by medical nutritionists who work with diabetes. I did this because diabetes requires specialized eating habits to limit/control insulin levels, and carbohydrates have an impact on insulin. I figured if anyone would know what's a healthy intake of carbs, the ADA would. And I checked the non-ADA sites for comparison.

All three of them recommended *for people who are NOT trying to lose weight, who are trying to maintain an already healthy body* between 45-60 grams of carbs PER MEAL, assuming 3 meals per day with no snacks.

The average total consumption recommendation was 165 grams per day.

So if you're trying to lose weight, you'd adjust downward from 165. You need to have between 25-30 grams of fiber every day, which means you *must* have *some* carbs every day, in the form of foods that provide fiber. There's really no getting around that, if you want to be healthy while you're losing weight, so a "no carb" diet would be unhealthy, solely because it would require that you don't get any fiber.
I would agree with that, with the caveat that the 165 level may not be the same for all individuals. It will probably be somewhere in that neighborhood though. No carb diets aren't a good idea. However, you want to get your carbs from natural sources as much as
possible, like vegetables and dairy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 11:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I would agree with that, with the caveat that the 165 level may not be the same for all individuals. It will probably be somewhere in that neighborhood though. No carb diets aren't a good idea. However, you want to get your carbs from natural sources as much as
Yeah they showed specific examples, case studies, of different needs of different patients. One guy was very active (an athlete) and his diabetes wasn't diet related, and he needed to maintain a pretty hefty carb load (around 200/day). Another woman's diabetes was almost exlusively diet related, she was morbidly obese and only moderately active, and had plaque in her veins. They lowered her carb intake to under 80 per day, with lots of restrictions (such as no white flour, no potatoes, no refined sugar).

Old 07-10-2011, 05:34 PM

42 posts, read 89,346 times
Thank you for all the replies and advice
ive decided on a weight watchers because i dont think i can
follow Lowcarb longterm

Old 07-10-2011, 06:16 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Weight watchers is probably the easiest to follow, but it is definitely not for "quick" loss. It's intended to be a longer-term food choice system. The whole "points" thing seems to make it a whole lot easier for people who are into that too. Reminds me a little of Richard Simmon's Deal-a-Meal, but on a bit more refined, researched level.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:11 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Depends on the specific diet you are following as they each have their own guidelines. I can tell you that the one I follow (which is really carb cycling designed for bodybuilders and athletes) wants you under 30g a day during the cutting/weight loss phase. That level is then adjusted upward in the muscle building and bullking phases to account for the increased levels of energy required.
I have been doing the W. Watchers but just keeping my points at 22. I never have gone to the meetings or done it online but I know how to do the calculations to figure how much points a particular food is. In that calculation nothing is done with the carbs. It's all based on calories, fat grams and fiber. So just wondering. I try to keep it at least under 50. Thanks for the info.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yeah they showed specific examples, case studies, of different needs of different patients. One guy was very active (an athlete) and his diabetes wasn't diet related, and he needed to maintain a pretty hefty carb load (around 200/day). Another woman's diabetes was almost exlusively diet related, she was morbidly obese and only moderately active, and had plaque in her veins. They lowered her carb intake to under 80 per day, with lots of restrictions (such as no white flour, no potatoes, no refined sugar).
I'd feel like I was livin' it up on 80 a day.

It's really not that hard to eat few carbs but it really helps if you're a decent cook. It is a relatively expensive diet as protein costs more per calorie than carbs.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:27 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,050 times
Low carb is great IMO. I started the South Beach diet, as well as yoga beginning of Feb. A friend of mine at work also started the diet with me. I've lost 22 pounds, and she has lost over 25. I have high blood sugar, so low carb/sugar was a good choice for me. I don't know if it's the low carbs, the yoga, or what I am eating , but my cholesterol dropped over 60 points. My doctor wanted to put me on medication, but I wanted to try diet first. 6 months ago was at 269, and last week results are at 205. I was amazed. I really think yoga helped too, but whatever it is I love it.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
Low carb is great IMO. I started the South Beach diet, as well as yoga beginning of Feb. A friend of mine at work also started the diet with me. I've lost 22 pounds, and she has lost over 25. I have high blood sugar, so low carb/sugar was a good choice for me. I don't know if it's the low carbs, the yoga, or what I am eating , but my cholesterol dropped over 60 points. My doctor wanted to put me on medication, but I wanted to try diet first. 6 months ago was at 269, and last week results are at 205. I was amazed. I really think yoga helped too, but whatever it is I love it.
Awesome! Cutting out sugar really does make a huge difference. The yoga could be having some effect we don't yet understand. It's entirely possible lowering stress could make your liver function more effectively.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:25 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post

or whole grains (for those who dont have digestive issues with them) its hard to get that many carbs from non-starchy veggies ( I think - I dont count carbs, so Im not sure), and the fiber is a good thing for diabetics, IIUC, and can aid with insulin issues.

Some fresh fruits are suggested by ADA, though that is a matter for debate, I guess)

Old 07-11-2011, 08:29 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I have been doing the W. Watchers but just keeping my points at 22. I never have gone to the meetings or done it online but I know how to do the calculations to figure how much points a particular food is. In that calculation nothing is done with the carbs. It's all based on calories, fat grams and fiber. So just wondering. I try to keep it at least under 50. Thanks for the info.

1. 22 Points plus is too low. WW wants you to get a minimum of 29 daily, for nutrition, energy, sustainability, metabolism. You can skip your weekly pts, and not eat your exercise points, but you MUST eat your daily points. If you arent doing that, you really are not on WW.

2. Since high carb foods tend to be high in points (esp since points plus) I find that one tends to naturally limit ones carb intake without counting them. Plus lots of high carb foods are very high calorie/high points foods, the carbs aside (like french fries or pizza). I suppose one could exceed carb limits just eating fruit and whole wheat bread, but its not that hard to keep consumption of those within reasonable limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss