Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 04:07 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I am taking it seriously, overweight people always get a lot of BS just because of our size. They say we can't do the things that skinny people do and we are subject to constant ridcule. It does matter as companies have been making larger clothes to accomdate larger people. Like it or not, this nation will eventually cater to us larger seats, bigger doors, bigger cars, etc.

If this was a gay/****** acceptance movement no one would be asking the same questions you have. Why do they get special treatment? If you don't like it then don't go to their websites and complain about it. Like I said, this country will eventually cater to the larger people.

I would have loved to attend one of their conventions.
What a silly comparison. Gay people don't need reconstruction of motor vehicles to accommodate their gayness. Gay people don't need airlines to make bigger seats so that their gayness will fit and not pour over onto the lap of the person next to them. Gay people don't need extra fabric to accommodate their girth.

Obese people physically, literally, take up more space. It's a matter of physics and logistics.

Now, if you want to pay for -two- seats on the airplane, then I will make sure not to enroach on -your- extra seat. But if you're not paying for it, keep your arm wobble off my boob.

You -can- have that accommodation, but you have to pay for it. And if they have to make the aisles wider to accommodate you, then that means fewer seats available (since the plane itself can't stretch, so the seats have to get smaller, or fewer). And that means we all have to pay more per seat, just because you weigh 100 pounds more than the guy sitting next to you?

You want a custom made car with a thicker solid-steel undercarriage and box springs in the seat so that you don't fall through or break the captain's chair after a month of sitting in it? Order one. Enjoy it, and feel free to pay the premium price for it. But don't expect the car manufacturers to completely redesign all their vehicles (and adjust the prices accordingly) to accommodate the few obese drivers who can't fit in the seats that come with the car.

I have nothing against obese people. I'm overweight too. But when you spill over into someone else's space because you can't contain it in your own space, OR start expecting other people to give up their space just so you will fit, or aren't willing to pay for the extra space that you are depriving someone else of occupying, then you are expecting too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 04:10 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,919,144 times
Default "No one should tell adults how to behave." (Huh??)

"No one should tell adults how to behave". That direct quote from an earlier post in this thread seems to embody the attitude of a number of posters here who defend the "fat acceptance" movement. However, that quoted sentence is an absurdity on its face, is it not?

Should we not tell child molesters how to behave? How about a "child molesters acceptance movement"? After all, we shouldn't be judgmental.

Should we not tell murderers how to behave? How about a "murders acceptance movement"? After all, we shouldn't be judgmental.

Should we not tell drunk drivers how to behave? How about a "drunk drivers acceptance movement"? After all, we shouldn't be judgmental.

Of course being fat is not the same, and is not as bad as, being a child molester or a murderer or a drunk driver. But it does not follow that it is then somehow O.K. If obesity is just some trait people are stuck with, like red hair, why were there practically no obese people in the 1950's in this country? Must be something in our behavior that has changed. (And we all know damned well what has changed - eating and exercise habits). Obesity does impact others - ever had to sit next to an obese person on an airplane?

And of course it is not acceptable to be rude to strangers in public - that is a straw man argument in this context. A lot of emotionality at the expense of rationality in this thread.

Edited to add: As far as the obese person on an airplane example I used, I was typing my post at the same time as the post ahead of it.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:18 PM

9,011 posts, read 13,850,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That was my point, exactly (though I -did0 take science past high school - I'm not a licensed medical professional).
Here it is I thoght you were thin,yet you sat on the next page your overweight.
So,if it is common sense like you say it is,why are you still overweight?
Guess your plan isn't working huh?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:43 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,571,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

common sense still needs implementation.

Its hard to break habits, etc. That doest mean the issue is not knowing what to do.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:23 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I just read an interesting article from a Professor of Medicine at the University of Melbourne;

'Professor of medicine at the University of Melbourne, Joseph Proietto, said once someone lost weight, changes in both energy expenditure and hunger-controlling hormones encouraged weight regain.
"It is likely that it is these physiological adaptations that make it so difficult to maintain weight loss," he wrote in an article published by the Medical Journal of Australia.'

Shedding kilos 'virtually impossible' for the obese - Life & Style - NZ Herald News
In effect, Dr. Professor is giving obese people the green light to a. Don't bother to try to lose because you're doomed to failure anyway, or b. If you've already lost weight, go ahead and gorge because that's what your genes/environment/hormones would have you do.

How sad that regardless of one's efforts, it won't matter because according to him, we're doomed.

Well I for one, am not paying attention. I'm losing, slowly but steadily, and sensibly. I can't foretell the future, but I'm hoping that I can continue to lose and maintain once I get to a reasonable weight.

And all you people who are trying to do the same, don't let yet another nay-sayer throw cold water on your efforts.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:38 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times
Quote:
It's not still, as I've said in several other threads, I wasn't overweight until I stopped smoking only a few years ago. I was at an appropriate weight for my height, age, and frame, for 46 out of my 50 years of existence. I didn't accept that I was overweight until last year, and I didn't START to do anything about it until around 4 months ago. It's working just fine.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:31 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,473,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
I'm not an alcoholic, but I certainly could be if I made a bit more effort.
When that day comes let's hope it's acceptable.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:45 PM

9,011 posts, read 13,850,777 times
Why is so hard to grasp at the concept that fat people just want to be looked at and treated like everyone else?
I don't get why that is so hard to understand? Judge by the character of the person. The freedom of going outside to the store without being harrassed and laughed at. No one likes to be joked about. Would you laugh at a disabled person? No,so please tell me why its ok to laugh at one but not the other.
Its a VERY simple concept. Just live and let live,sheesh.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:46 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,718,901 times
Quote:
Why is so hard to grasp at the concept that fat people just want to be looked at and treated like everyone else?
I don't get why that is so hard to understand? Judge by the character of the person. The freedom of going outside to the store without being harrassed and laughed at. No one likes to be joked about. Would you laugh at a disabled person? No,so please tell me why its ok to laugh at one but not the other.
Being disabled is not a flexible state.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:26 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,962,294 times
Quote:
I have never laughed at any person for any physical characteristic unless they obviously expected to be laughed at, i.e. wearing a clown nose, or some other indicator that they meant to be funny.

I can't tell you why it's ok to laugh at a person for their size or their disability. I don't do it and I don't allow my children or grandchildren to do it.

I can't speak for what other people do. But your rant makes it sound like everyone is disrespectful. Everyone is not.

As for me, I'm resolving my own weight issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss