Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 02:28 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I'm not advocating getting years of therapy before adopting a healthier lifestyle.
And Im not saying someone focus on the scale after their first therapy session. But I think rewarding oneself with an apple instead of a candy bar, is not a bad first to do after that session, and you can then think well of yourself for having made that choice.

i guess it depends on HOW you are dealing with the mental health issues. A cognitive behavioral approach DOES focus on changing behavior (not JUST diet and exercise of course) pretty much from the get go, IIUC. Some approaches are more focused on "root" causes, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 02:42 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I'm not advocating getting years of therapy before adopting a healthier lifestyle. I do think that if people focus on their mental health first and foremost that everything else will fall in line.

Diet and exercise do help but it's very difficult to do when your mind is not in the right place. People focus so much on the scale that they ignore the underlying reasons of why they gained the weight in the first place. This is why I think most diets fail.
Most diets fail because people get hungry, eat foods that just make them hungrier, and eat too much relative to what they're burning. I'll bet most will tell you they're actually hungry while eating all those calories and not just eating because they're stressed or bored. In most cases, there's no deep seated psychological cause other than genetics and laziness.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:00 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Most diets fail because people get hungry, eat foods that just make them hungrier, and eat too much relative to what they're burning. I'll bet most will tell you they're actually hungry while eating all those calories and not just eating because they're stressed or bored. In most cases, there's no deep seated psychological cause other than genetics and laziness.
I do think people often eat out of stress or boredom. WW accepts that people do that. Finding better ways to deal with those helps. Thats one of the reasons exercise is helpful, beyond the calories it burns. Its also an advantage of tracking - you realize what youre doing, and are more likely to consciously pursue an alternate way of dealing with stress or boredom. Plus, you can obsessively track, instead of obsessively eating

Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
I know many people eat out of boredom but I am guessing most eat because they are hungry.
The real problem that people are obese is because of inactivity and following the WRONG diet.
Remember there was an article a while back that said yo yo dieting is worse then staying at a higher weight?
i wrote two pages ago about doing the wrong types of exercises can lead to guaranteed failure.
Cardio and no weight lifting can diminish your muscle mass.
I did cardio 5 days a week for the last 3 months,coupled with a sensible diet. i went from 39% body fat to 32%. However,i have gotten flabbier and basically still look the same. I've also lost muscle mass. so now i have to start lifting weights,or else keep eating less and less,because if i keep eating 1700 calories and my bmr is 1500,i will gain all the weight back.

so to sum it up,you have to do the right exercises,namely lift weights.
this is going to be a hard journey for me,because i hate lifting weights.
i did lose 35 pounds in four months with all cardio and intermittent fasting but i should have taken the advice to lift weights.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
I lost all my weight without exercise. I saved the exercise part for the end. Reducing your body fat that much probably gave you loose skin more than flabby muscles though. But strength training (not necc weight lifting) does help either situation.

All weight loss cardio or not takes some fat and some muscle. You can try to fight it with strength training but it will depend on your body type a little in what results you get. Diet plays a large part in what your results will be too. You have to be balanced and eating enough to support muscle retention. If your goal is to shed fat your food intake cuts should be small, you cardio load light, and your strength training choices should be full body at least every other day to maintain what you have.

If you hate lifting weights do something else. You can do resistance and incorporate you cardio and your strength training in one. Or you can do isometric strength training. I prefer those over weights any day.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:56 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I know many people eat out of boredom but I am guessing most eat because they are hungry.
The real problem that people are obese is because of inactivity and following the WRONG diet.
Remember there was an article a while back that said yo yo dieting is worse then staying at a higher weight?
i wrote two pages ago about doing the wrong types of exercises can lead to guaranteed failure.
Cardio and no weight lifting can diminish your muscle mass.
I did cardio 5 days a week for the last 3 months,coupled with a sensible diet. i went from 39% body fat to 32%. However,i have gotten flabbier and basically still look the same. I've also lost muscle mass. so now i have to start lifting weights,or else keep eating less and less,because if i keep eating 1700 calories and my bmr is 1500,i will gain all the weight back.

so to sum it up,you have to do the right exercises,namely lift weights.
this is going to be a hard journey for me,because i hate lifting weights.
i did lose 35 pounds in four months with all cardio and intermittent fasting but i should have taken the advice to lift weights.
Eating and over-eating never causes obesity.

It's the coupling of a lack of activity.

People take the car even to the closest places. They sit their asses and eat processed food. Cooking is a form of exercise to boot, you bend, you clean, you cut, you move things........ it's a lot of work and burns good calories.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:52 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I lost all my weight without exercise. I saved the exercise part for the end. Reducing your body fat that much probably gave you loose skin more than flabby muscles though. But strength training (not necc weight lifting) does help either situation.

All weight loss cardio or not takes some fat and some muscle. You can try to fight it with strength training but it will depend on your body type a little in what results you get. Diet plays a large part in what your results will be too. You have to be balanced and eating enough to support muscle retention. If your goal is to shed fat your food intake cuts should be small, you cardio load light, and your strength training choices should be full body at least every other day to maintain what you have.

If you hate lifting weights do something else. You can do resistance and incorporate you cardio and your strength training in one. Or you can do isometric strength training. I prefer those over weights any day.
As far as keeping your muscle mass goes,I hear low carb,high protein diets are best.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Fat acceptance is one thing. Accepting a preventable disablity that can be reversed is another issue.

I saw a man so fat, he cannot get out of his specially constructed bed. That is beyond fat acceptance and into some sort of mental pathology. The man was still eating copious amounts of carbs, and fats. It was nauseating to watch this type of slow suicide.

Accept yourself, then love yourself enough to change. Fat is not accepted in our culture, and the diseases associated with obesity are documented.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:15 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,706,414 times
The answer is obvious, eat less, and get off your backsides and get some exercise. Also do yourselves a favour and eat organic vegetables & meat, most American beef is full of synthetic growth hormone which when eaten, becomes part of YOUR body.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:50 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Most people who gain weight do so slowly but persistently over time. I've heard doctors say their average adult patient who does gains about 10 pounds per year. That's only about 100 calories a day of overconsumption or underactivity. Without changing your eating habits, you could erase that by walking a mere 1/2 mile more per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss