Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 03:23 PM

97 posts, read 210,787 times

Advertisements

Man, I just wish there was SOMEBODY on these boards that wouldn't mind giving us fat people some advice! Good Grief, it's like pulling teeth.

Come on thin people, tell me what your secret is! I'm sick of trying to guess! I need to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 03:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I agree on most points but I disagree on organics not making a difference. It does. They tend to have higher nutrient levels (body releases extra weight more easily when healthy) and don't have thyroid slowing pesticides. But all is not lost. You can still lose with normal food or google up "most toxic" lists and avoid those or buy organic. But even still...just like you said: You can do it no matter what if you keep it simple and stay consistent.
Actually that isn't necessarily true. Fortified homogenized pasturized non-organic milk has more nutrients than organic milk.

Non-organic fortified cereal has more nutrients than organic grain.

Tropicana pure premium orange juice with calcium added, has a higher nutritional value than fresh-squeezed oranges off the organically grown tree in your back yard.

If it's been fortified, chances are it isn't organic. And fortified trumps organic, when it comes to nutritional value per unit of a given food item.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:30 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,084,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats-r-us View Post
Man, I just wish there was SOMEBODY on these boards that wouldn't mind giving us fat people some advice! Good Grief, it's like pulling teeth.

Come on thin people, tell me what your secret is! I'm sick of trying to guess! I need to know!
There is no secret. You have to exercise and follow a healthy eating plan. If you want more specific advice, start a thread and tell us about your situation and we'll be happy to help you.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:10 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,718,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Actually that isn't necessarily true. Fortified homogenized pasturized non-organic milk has more nutrients than organic milk.

Non-organic fortified cereal has more nutrients than organic grain.

Tropicana pure premium orange juice with calcium added, has a higher nutritional value than fresh-squeezed oranges off the organically grown tree in your back yard.

If it's been fortified, chances are it isn't organic. And fortified trumps organic, when it comes to nutritional value per unit of a given food item.
They do make organic fortified cereals. You want to avoid the extra preservatives and pesticides.

Not so sweet: Even "100 percent pure" orange juice is artificially flavored - Food on Shine

"But when they remove the oxygen, they also remove much of the natural flavor of the oranges. "So in order to have OJ actually taste like oranges, drink companies hire flavor and fragrance companies, the same ones that make perfumes for Dior, to create these 'flavor packs' to make juice taste like, well, juice again," "
" During production, deaerated juice often sit in million-gallon tanks for as long as a year before it hits supermarket shelves"

Gross. I would rather juice an orange and juice its phytochemicals, antioxidants and naturally occurring vitamins that don't need to be put back in because its been in a tank for a year.

The non-organic choices have lower magnesium:
Magnesium
Amazing what it can do for the body. Including metabolism.

Just a good read:
Nutritional Considerations - Organic Trade Association
"Organic lemonade contains ten times more eriocitrin (an antioxidant) than a glass of its conventional counterpart, according to a recent study by Washington State University supported by The Organic Center. The study was the first-ever assessment of the bioavailability of three chiral flavonoids—hesperetin, naringenin, and eriocitrin—found in citrus fruits and juices."

Nutrition does not just stop at the vitamin content. Its everything. The satiety of food helps people feel full too. Organic choices of fresh things tend to have more flavor.

But anyway...not an excuse to stay fat, but it does make a difference.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:16 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,718,901 times
Quote:

The secret is simple. Stop overeating for your activity level. Thats number one.

Then you can get into details about how to balance what you do eat properly.

Very simple article on it:
3 Easy Ways to Balance Your Diet | Eating Well

It can get more details than that but its good to start simple.
Focus on normal balance, and not overeating for your activity level.

Anything beyond that is just a diet freak tweak. Not a way of living that will keep the pounds off and keep you happy with what you are eating.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:29 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,674 times
Quote:

I think most of it has to do with genetics. There are skinny people who eat truckloads of food and never gain weight, and do not exercise. We just have bad genes, why skinny people don't accept this fact is beyond me.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:43 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I think most of it has to do with genetics. There are skinny people who eat truckloads of food and never gain weight, and do not exercise. We just have bad genes, why skinny people don't accept this fact is beyond me.
Because the vast majority of thinner people don't eat truckloads of food and never gain weight. And the vast majority of obese people don't eat like birds and gain a pound by looking at a piece of cheesecake in a display case.

The vast majority of thinner people have a combination of things going on:
1. They didn't start out obese by being overfed by their parents
2. They were fairly active as children.
3. They continued to be fairly active into adulthood.
4. They eat *appropriately* for their *current* body type/weight/frame, which was never obese in the first place.

The vast majority of obese people have a combination of things going on:
1. They were probably overweight as children, having been overfed by their parents or fed unhealthy foods that contributed to their weight problem.
2. They were not as active as their thinner peers.
3. They continued to be less active into adulthood.
4. They do not eat *appropriately* for their *current* body type/weight/frame, which was obese in the first place and still is.

Metabolism plays a role in all of this but it is not the primary contributing factor to weight. If you KNOW you metabolize badly, then you would also KNOW you have to eat more prudently and exercise more or you'll pack on the pounds and become unhealthy. If you KNOW you metabolize fast then you would also KNOW that you have to maintain a higher food input than the average person, or you would end up too thin and get sick.

Metabolism does not explain why the majority of obese people choose to overeat.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:13 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,962,294 times
It's an unfortunate fact of living that there is no "secret" nor is there a "quick fix". Once you decide that you want to lose weight, and commit yourself to your goal, you have the first tools required to reduce. If your excess weight is a result of disease or a medication that causes weight gain, your loss may be more difficult. Only your physician can tell you that. If your weight is the result of over-eating or eating the wrong foods, coupled with inactivity, you know what you need to do. The only one who can help you is you. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:50 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,259,296 times
Quote:

It's not just thin people who know what the "secret" is....I having even read this thread but let me post up something for you:

ME in FEBRUARY 2010:

and I thought I was cute that day too.....I guess...

ME JULY 2011:

More than 100 pounds lost naturally with exercise and eating right...

The secret is mentally making a decision to change your life. When you get tired of yourself, that's when the changes start....

Old 08-25-2011, 09:01 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,962,294 times
Congratulations to you LadyKLO. You look spectacular. Wouldn't we all like to go to sleep and wake up in the morning minus all the weight we need to lose, but it won't ever happen.

Determination is the key element.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss