Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 02:58 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
As long as you believe this you're not going to lose weight. I have a lot of faith in you, kiddo, but you're going to have to be realistic about what it's going to take. If LadyKLO is willing, you should ask her to list the foods she eats and the activity she does for a week and then follow it religiously. If you keep it up, the weight will come off for you like it has for her.

BTW, LadyKLO, you're my hero. It's unusual to tackle a problem--any problem--like you have. When we're unhappy with something about ourselves, it's so much easier to complain and make excuses than it is to address the problem head on. I'll think of you the next time I'm feeling overwhelmed by life.
I have lost some weight and it was very difficult for me. People have to understand and accept that it is harder for fat people to lose weight than it might be for a skinny person. Especially since I, not sure about other people, find exercise boring even with the TV or music on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 03:15 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,718,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
You were fat and then thin because your genetics allow you to become fat. The skinny people who overeat and never exercise and somehow manage to stay skinny do not balance it out with exercise, because they do not exercise. People with bad genes have to work hard and suffer through diet and exercise in order to lose weight. I still have not lost any good weight up until this point and it is beginning to bother me.
Nope. I was overeating! I was also on a medication for pain but I don't think that was to blame as I can take it fine now. I just was not paying attention to how I eat. Plain and simple. Sorry girl but and I used to be one of those skinny people that could eat everything. In reflection I know that it was a case of me always being busy and not overeating. Not genetics.

I can see you are still learning because dieting and exercise should not be "suffering" Pigging out and sitting on your butt to the point of where you get fat enough to cause health problems is self abuse and should not be seen as fun.

AGAIN..I saw your habits posted on how you eat. When you are eating healthy and still are obese your probably have a major health problem and then you can blame genetics. But the way you eat its no surprise that you are in your state of affairs. Play around with some calorie counting and calculators if you don't believe me. "Its my metabolism" is an excuse the fat family member use while they drown mashed potato in gravy. It really is so annoying and just an ignorant statement unless you really do eat healthy.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:26 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,725,020 times
Quote:
I have lost some weight and it was very difficult for me. People have to understand and accept that it is harder for fat people to lose weight than it might be for a skinny person. Especially since I, not sure about other people, find exercise boring even with the TV or music on.
I know you've lost some weight and I know it was difficult for you. I agree that it might be harder for you to lose weight than it is for someone who has never been truly obese. But trust me--it's very difficult for most people to lose weight and you have to make the decision to do so every time you are deciding what you are (or are not) going to eat. It will never be an easy decision.

The same is true of exercise. I'm 49, work full-time and have an almost teen-age daughter. I get up at least 4 and usually 5 mornings a week at 4:50 a.m. so I can be at the gym at 5:30. IT IS NEVER EASY, but I suck it up and crawl out of bed any way. And while there are some aspects to the actual exercise that I enjoy, for the most part it is drudgery. But I love the payoff, so I keep doing it. Every day we have a new opportunity to make a choice about how we're going to live.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:34 PM

711 posts, read 1,512,717 times
Quote:
Motivate your mind and body for weight loss just like you motivate your mind and body when you can,t get up to make yourself a cheeseburger but you somehow can find the energy to get up ,get in the car and drive to the fastfood joint. You want your results now, the same way you want AND get your food. The choice is yours. It will truly happen when you get sick and tired of being sick and tired. By the way you have already been given the tools for weight loss by many posters on here. Apparently nothing works or its to tough and challenging. So heres my question, are you the problem or is everybody else?

Old 08-25-2011, 04:20 PM

97 posts, read 210,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's not my opinion, it's fact. And since it's fact, you would be incorrect in your disagreement.

If you have scientific evidence, from actual medical journals and peer-reviewed research papers to the contrary, feel free to provide them. You are making claims of something that is not known by the medical profession to be true. Therefore the onus is upon you to provide proof.

In layman's terms:

pics or it didn't happen.
AnonChick, I'm always amazed at how many varied topics you deem yourself to be an expert in. Every one of your posts drips with self-importance and arrogance, and you're so absolutely positive that you're correct about everything you speak about. How ridiculous.

Listen to your response to TreasuredJewel. When people talk that way to other people, it shows that they're more concerned about feeling important than finding out the truth about something.

Demanding that TJ provide evidence from medical journals to rebut your points is just a way for you to put her on defense, and it's very transparent. What's also obvious is that if she were to provide such proof, you would find fault with her studies, no matter what they said. There is PLENTY out there to support what she is saying.

Why don't you open your mind and maybe you'll discover that the earth is actually round.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:46 PM

711 posts, read 1,512,717 times
In the words of Rodney Dangerfield " if you wanna look thin hang around fat people"....feel free to substitute "fat people" with fatter people.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:21 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,212,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats-r-us View Post
AnonChick, I'm always amazed at how many varied topics you deem yourself to be an expert in. Every one of your posts drips with self-importance and arrogance, and you're so absolutely positive that you're correct about everything you speak about. How ridiculous.

Listen to your response to TreasuredJewel. When people talk that way to other people, it shows that they're more concerned about feeling important than finding out the truth about something.

Demanding that TJ provide evidence from medical journals to rebut your points is just a way for you to put her on defense, and it's very transparent. What's also obvious is that if she were to provide such proof, you would find fault with her studies, no matter what they said. There is PLENTY out there to support what she is saying.

Why don't you open your mind and maybe you'll discover that the earth is actually round.
Yes. There is something called the fat insulin receptor gene. Essentially, our bodies' software is archaic in there are cells that are "programmed" to hold onto every calorie we take in as though we were living like we were thousands of years ago. If this atavism is curbed, obesity is going to be over except in rare medical cases.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
Yes. There is something called the fat insulin receptor gene. Essentially, our bodies' software is archaic in there are cells that are "programmed" to hold onto every calorie we take in as though we were living like we were thousands of years ago. If this atavism is curbed, obesity is going to be over except in rare medical cases.
Yeah, the epigenome phenomenon, is that related to what you're talking about? I remember seeing some amazing stuff about that on a PBS show years ago...Nova maybe? It was just crazy how much got passed down, the effects of, say a famine, on a person born generations later.

I knew there was a genetic reason for my love of all things potato.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
In that case, I don't see a career for you in stand-up.

Good point. Nothing but crickets!

Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,718,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
See though...the problem with science is that its all just a theory based on collected evidence where some dude comes to a summation and calls it a fact.

So before anyone else uses these types of things as excuses to avoid personal accountability...You have to prove that theory is a fact for your body. More often than not....its just a theory and your body is average and reacts to average treatment just like anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss