Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 09:03 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,719,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I think most of it has to do with genetics. There are skinny people who eat truckloads of food and never gain weight, and do not exercise. We just have bad genes, why skinny people don't accept this fact is beyond me.
Because its BS. I was fat and then thin. Did I magically change my genetics? No. I changed my habits. And they don't include dieting like a freak or exercising like a nut. And now that my body fat is lower I don't pile on pounds as easily as I did when I was high fat. But its also BS to think this change happens overnight. It takes a couple years to really reap the benefits of any health change. Even if you started out skinny flabby its going to take a year to really see some great results and feel excellent. Its why pro athletes start so young in training.

I remember your other post where you talked about how you ate. Blame your habits. Not your genetics. Those thin people who eat like that either balance it out with exercise/activity and/or don't chronically overeat. I notice heavy people also do the snacking constantly thing more than they realize too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 09:20 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Because the vast majority of thinner people don't eat truckloads of food and never gain weight. And the vast majority of obese people don't eat like birds and gain a pound by looking at a piece of cheesecake in a display case.

The vast majority of thinner people have a combination of things going on:
1. They didn't start out obese by being overfed by their parents
2. They were fairly active as children.
3. They continued to be fairly active into adulthood.
4. They eat *appropriately* for their *current* body type/weight/frame, which was never obese in the first place.

The vast majority of obese people have a combination of things going on:
1. They were probably overweight as children, having been overfed by their parents or fed unhealthy foods that contributed to their weight problem.
2. They were not as active as their thinner peers.
3. They continued to be less active into adulthood.
4. They do not eat *appropriately* for their *current* body type/weight/frame, which was obese in the first place and still is.

Metabolism plays a role in all of this but it is not the primary contributing factor to weight. If you KNOW you metabolize badly, then you would also KNOW you have to eat more prudently and exercise more or you'll pack on the pounds and become unhealthy. If you KNOW you metabolize fast then you would also KNOW that you have to maintain a higher food input than the average person, or you would end up too thin and get sick.

Metabolism does not explain why the majority of obese people choose to overeat.
I disagree.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Because its BS. I was fat and then thin. Did I magically change my genetics? No. I changed my habits. And they don't include dieting like a freak or exercising like a nut. And now that my body fat is lower I don't pile on pounds as easily as I did when I was high fat. But its also BS to think this change happens overnight. It takes a couple years to really reap the benefits of any health change. Even if you started out skinny flabby its going to take a year to really see some great results and feel excellent. Its why pro athletes start so young in training.

I remember your other post where you talked about how you ate. Blame your habits. Not your genetics. Those thin people who eat like that either balance it out with exercise/activity and/or don't chronically overeat. I notice heavy people also do the snacking constantly thing more than they realize too.
You were fat and then thin because your genetics allow you to become fat. The skinny people who overeat and never exercise and somehow manage to stay skinny do not balance it out with exercise, because they do not exercise. People with bad genes have to work hard and suffer through diet and exercise in order to lose weight. I still have not lost any good weight up until this point and it is beginning to bother me.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:45 AM

97 posts, read 210,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats-r-us View Post
Man, I just wish there was SOMEBODY on these boards that wouldn't mind giving us fat people some advice! Good Grief, it's like pulling teeth.

Come on thin people, tell me what your secret is! I'm sick of trying to guess! I need to know!
I figured my post was pretty obviously sarcastic, so I'm a little surprised at the number of responses I got that took it seriously. The point is that thinner people are only happy when they're lecturing fat people.

Just to be clear: I'm kidding, people!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:18 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,282,949 times
Quote:
You were fat and then thin because your genetics allow you to become fat. The skinny people who overeat and never exercise and somehow manage to stay skinny do not balance it out with exercise, because they do not exercise. People with bad genes have to work hard and suffer through diet and exercise in order to lose weight. I still have not lost any good weight up until this point and it is beginning to bother me.
Does it bother you enough to change your habits?

Let's assume that it's all Mother Nature's fault and you are fat because of genetics. You are going to have to work that much harder to take it off.

Insanity: Doing the same thing and expecting different results. It's not easy. It takes work and sacrafice. You are going to have to exercise, even if you hate it. No, you don't have to "work out like a nut", but do SOMETHING. Walk, find an activity that you enjoy. You are going to have to change the way that you eat. Cook healthy foods, find healthy foods that you enjoy. Yes, it is going to be hard because you are not used to it. But, if you stick with it you will see results and it becomes a way of life.

You have two options: do the work or stay like you are. The choice is yours.

Oh, and I am now skinny (I am in a size 8), but I weighed 237 at my heaviest. And I weighed 175 pounds in the third grade. It wasn't genetics - it was upbringing. My parents passed on their unhealthy lifestyle to me. Lifestyles can be changed. So get to it!

Old 08-25-2011, 12:54 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,963,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats-r-us View Post
I figured my post was pretty obviously sarcastic, so I'm a little surprised at the number of responses I got that took it seriously. The point is that thinner people are only happy when they're lecturing fat people.

Just to be clear: I'm kidding, people!
In that case, I don't see a career for you in stand-up.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,808,668 times
Quote:
I disagree.
It's not my opinion, it's fact. And since it's fact, you would be incorrect in your disagreement.

If you have scientific evidence, from actual medical journals and peer-reviewed research papers to the contrary, feel free to provide them. You are making claims of something that is not known by the medical profession to be true. Therefore the onus is upon you to provide proof.

In layman's terms:

pics or it didn't happen.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:03 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,727,994 times
Quote:
As long as you believe this you're not going to lose weight. I have a lot of faith in you, kiddo, but you're going to have to be realistic about what it's going to take. If LadyKLO is willing, you should ask her to list the foods she eats and the activity she does for a week and then follow it religiously. If you keep it up, the weight will come off for you like it has for her.

BTW, LadyKLO, you're my hero. It's unusual to tackle a problem--any problem--like you have. When we're unhappy with something about ourselves, it's so much easier to complain and make excuses than it is to address the problem head on. I'll think of you the next time I'm feeling overwhelmed by life.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's not my opinion, it's fact. And since it's fact, you would be incorrect in your disagreement.

If you have scientific evidence, from actual medical journals and peer-reviewed research papers to the contrary, feel free to provide them. You are making claims of something that is not known by the medical profession to be true. Therefore the onus is upon you to provide proof.

In layman's terms:

pics or it didn't happen.
There are plenty of articles online that show that genetics play a role in obesity. There is not a single fat person in my boyfriend's family, and no they do not exercise. All of them are skinny. This clearly has to do with genetics.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:57 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,354,717 times
Quote:
There are plenty of articles online that show that genetics play a role in obesity. There is not a single fat person in my boyfriend's family, and no they do not exercise. All of them are skinny. This clearly has to do with genetics.
Genetics might prevent a person from being naturally skinny, but there is a long way between skinny, normal, slightly over weight, overweight >>>>>>>>>obese. Obesity isn't caused by genetics....MAYBE overweight is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss