Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 PM

255 posts, read 464,511 times

Advertisements

I'm of two minds about that.

On one hand, NOBODY should ever experience discrimination in the employment market as a result of their weight. The sole criteria should always be performance.

But on the other side of the coin, I don't think it's reasonable to expect accommodations for one's weight...seats on airlines are a prime example. Everyone else there paid the same thing for their own seat. A large person does not have the right to infringe on the seat space of a smaller one. If you're too big for the seat, then you need to buy another one, it's just that simple.

I don't see that as discrimination. I see it as making sure that OTHER people are not discriminated against by having to pay more to get less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,023,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There is nothing new, at this point, or confusing, about Atkins' diet (and, Dr. Atkins is dead by the way - since 2003, and low carb dieting wasn't a new concept even when he published his own diet). It's a low-carb diet, and many (if not most) current low-carb diets are based off this one, and a couple of others that were the height of dieting fashion back in the 1970's.

Dukan's diet is also a low-carb diet, that emphasizes high protein. Nothing confusing about that, and his diet in particular has no peer-reviewed evidence of health benefits. Easy enough to look that up on the web.

Nurses who are worth their credentials know that HCG doesn't cause weight loss, and that HCG is not approved by the FDA for weight loss use, and that doctors who inject it for weight loss use are violating the law in the USA. Laymen who know how to run a simple google search and filter out advertising sites know this as well. Nothing confusing about that.

There is nothing confusing about knowing that lean meats, a decent proportion of protein, a lesser proportion of carbs, few sugars, and a modest amount of fats with plenty of vegetables is healthy for most people. AND, there is nothing confusing about the fact that if you load up on sugars and carbs, eat junk food, and deprive yourself of lean proteins and vegetables, then you are likely to gain weight, and be unhealthy.

There's nothing new about this. Only the minor details change, AND only the names of the people trying to con the public out of their money promising a quick fix, change. A nurse worth her credentials would know this.
Maybe people who are emotionally high strung burn more calories per hour?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,023,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
The whole idea of "fat acceptance" is pitiful. You don't see skinny people whining about "thin acceptance".

It's just like when I smoked. I'd HATE it when people would tell me how bad it was for me, how it cost so much, how they couldn't be in a room with someone smoking, how kissing a smoker was like licking an ashtray.

I hated it because I knew it was true. Fat people hate to be told they're fat for the same reason. I've got a guy at work that greets me, "Hey chubby!" every morning. I HATE that....but I'm using it as motivation to stay on my diet. It's tough this morning. My wife has all her "jar cakes" (cakes sealed in jars which will stay fresh for three months) that she made during Christmas out downstairs to see how many she still wants to give away. She'd never miss one or two. I'm hungry, I haven't had breakfast yet (gotta wait a couple more hours) and all that cake is calling me...but so is "Chubby" so I'm upstairs, nursing my coffee with NO cake.
It's not healthy to have cakes in jars for anyone no matter how much they weigh. Refined sugar is just plain toxic IMO. The longer you refrain from eating refined sugar, the less appealing it is. In fact, if you stay off it long enough, eating just a taste of frosting can seem shocking to your taste-buds.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 PM

9,011 posts, read 13,850,777 times
Quote:
Because they are, it's just that simple. NOBODY is at a healthy weight when they're 200 lbs. Now, if you're an athlete, 6'4" tall, it's CLOSE to a healthy weight, but still not there. Anybody else? You're fat. Deal with it and accept it. You can make all the excuses and arguments you want, but that's a fact.

So what? Doesn't really matter who "eats healthier". What matters is how healthy YOU are. If you're thin and eat chips and MickeyD's all day, thank God for your metabolism and enjoy it while you can. It won't last forever....I know. I've been there. I could eat anything I wanted when I was younger and then I ballooned up to 225 lbs. That's when I knew I had to face facts and do something about it. So I went on a diet AND quit smoking.
I'm 5ft 8in.
And I like how I look at 200 pounds. That's all that matters,right?
My body doesn't lose fat or gain fat proportionately.
If I get down to 180,my face looks haggard,collarbone and ribs were showing.
Meanwhile,I was still fat below the hips.

My Waist hip ratio was below 0.8. According to some sites on the internet,that is the most inportant number(whR).
So I guess if 200 pounds is healthy depends on which method you use:

There is:
Bmi
Bodyfat level and muscle mass
Waist to Hip ratio
Waist to Height ratio
Frame size

Frame size is even included in some Bmi charts.
I have a larger skeleton,and bigger bones. Nothing I can do about that.
There is no way I can drop down to 130 pounds. Its physically impossible for someone with my skeletal frame size.
Even the 145 pounds the Bmi charts recommend for larger frame women my height is pushing it.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:09 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times
Your opinion of how you look at 200 pounds is probably the -last- criteria of "what matters." How you FEEL matters more than how you look. And how your blood levels are, your energy levels, your insulin response, digestive system, skin quality, physical strength, fertility, mental health, eyesight, hearing, dental health - all of these things can be affected by weight and diet and exercise. And ALL of these things matter more than "how I look."

If how you think you look matters more than any of those things (since you say that's all that matters with regards to your weight) then I would very strongly urge you to visit a mental health professional.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:08 PM

9,011 posts, read 13,850,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Your opinion of how you look at 200 pounds is probably the -last- criteria of "what matters." How you FEEL matters more than how you look. And how your blood levels are, your energy levels, your insulin response, digestive system, skin quality, physical strength, fertility, mental health, eyesight, hearing, dental health - all of these things can be affected by weight and diet and exercise. And ALL of these things matter more than "how I look."

If how you think you look matters more than any of those things (since you say that's all that matters with regards to your weight) then I would very strongly urge you to visit a mental health professional.
I was just saying there isn't anything wrong with a bigger woman liking how she looks.
Also,I guess what you say applies to everyone,not just the overweight.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:23 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,482,628 times
Speaking as someone who struggles with weight,* I for one do NOT want fat acceptance. While I do not want "fat" to qualify someone for torment or misery, I do not want it tolerated as a lifestyle choice that is equally "good" as someone who eats healthy and maintains an active lifestyle. While many elements of American society trend toward the "decadent" viewpoint that nothing is better than anything else, it's just simply not true.

At my worst, I was a couch potato who overate, was heavily reliant on fast food, drank NOTHING BUT SODA, never exercised, and was breathless after climbing a single flight of stairs. That's really bad. I have never met one of these mythical obese "jocks." The obese that I knew were really quite useless in physical exercise. The typical obese American is on a road for heart disease, high blood pressure, bad cholesterol, diabetes, elevated cancer risk, liver disease, etc etc. This is should be addressed as a serious public health issue, not celebrated as a lifestyle choice a la the liberated female smoker of the 1920s.

*Between ages 16 and the present, 23, I have been anywhere from 220 at 16, to 160 at 19, to 195 now. I should also note a variable fitness level of "pathetic" to "not that bad." The 195 now is not the pure fat of my couch potato 16 year old self, but by no means is it solidly lean muscle. 10 miles on a bike is no sweat and running a mile that killed my 16 year old self would now inspire an "are we done already?" indignant remark indicative of inadequacy.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:34 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,055,607 times
I now know 7 people in my life who have gotten weight loss surgeries (all the kinds). They each used to "accept" their old weights. But as they got to be in their 50's and fully grasped that obese people barely live into their 70's, that was it.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,562,483 times
Quote:
I'm of two minds about that.

On one hand, NOBODY should ever experience discrimination in the employment market as a result of their weight. The sole criteria should always be performance.

But on the other side of the coin, I don't think it's reasonable to expect accommodations for one's weight...seats on airlines are a prime example. Everyone else there paid the same thing for their own seat. A large person does not have the right to infringe on the seat space of a smaller one. If you're too big for the seat, then you need to buy another one, it's just that simple.

I don't see that as discrimination. I see it as making sure that OTHER people are not discriminated against by having to pay more to get less.
I agree with this. People should not be ridiculed and treated like garbage because of their weight and how they look. The focus needs to be on health, and they should be encouraged and supported to lose weight in a healthy manner. Nagging and bullying and going on and on about how easy it is does not help. Making people feel worthless and tearing down their self esteem only makes the problem worse.

I think more kindness and respect is always a good thing, but "fat acceptance" really doesn't do people any favors.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:53 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,605,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
I understand and sympathize. I am sure there are obese people affected by their ocndition.

But, obesity is not a choice. It's a complex chronic disease state. Look at the 600 pound virgin. He regained almost all of it in 3 years.

SCIENCE predicxts thias. Dr. Friedman would have said this is what happens. BIOLOGY dictated it. We have no cure for obesity.
Aha - that is what I wanted to talk to you all about!!!

That 600 pound virgin was doing ok while he was changing his eating habits to healthy ones. But he started back on his old eating habits and THAT is what did it.

I believe that one regains weight usually, when they start with the old habits that made them fat in the first place.

I believe choosing to eat unheathily is a CHOICE, not a disease,, (along with many others who claim disease but really its a habit - which is why so many people are claiming "disability" when they have habits and choices);

So I have to severely DISAGREE with you people who describe being fat as "chronic disease state".. yeah your body might be in "dis-ease" while being fat, but if you put the connotation on a person that they are just a poor chronically diseased person, the mental association is "poor me, im just a sick person who cant help myself". If that fat person actually wrote down what they ate, I bet they'd see a lot of McDonalds and pie.

also I get SO MAD when i watch these shows on TLC (or other stations) where the person goes thru the pain and expense of bariatric surgery, and after the surgery, they are shown drinking soda pop and chips and macdonalds - ALL of these are no nos. why are they doing it and then they regain the weight,, the bariatric surgery is a tool only. They still have their mind to deal with the cravings. Yes I guess in a certain sense, cravings are an addiction, which can also be called a "disease" as are other addictions called nowadays, but still, I know can be tackled if one is willing to go thru the pain of not feeding the addiction. (I do believe a lot of it is "habit" not a disease")

By the way, I am fat, and I have cravings, and I refuse to call it a disease.. its my own damn hands putting the french fries in my own mouth. Its my own hands holding onto the $8.00 and my own hands and choice to walk in to KFC and my own feet walking over to the counter and giving them the $8.00 for a 3 piece chicken dinner. I say this, not because I am sticking up and making excuses for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss