Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 12:40 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,080,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Like I said, I was just saying. WE found that even eating what we thought was sensibly, we were eating more than was compatible with weight loss (using ww guidelines, which assume average metabolism). I cannot speak for anyone else or their metabolism, of course.
Well, it's fairly obvious (to me) that mine has dropped. I also think what I haven't seen addressed (tho' I read so many pages, it may have been) is that in the last what, 10 years or so, we have hormones in our meat, and dairy.
I've read articles on this having and effect on boys' breasts growing larger as well as, girls developing sooner ect.
I now only buy hormone free milk and meat as well as, organic veggies and fruit. I haven't lost tons of weight but I have put on more muscle and have not gained any additional weight in 3 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 12:44 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,456,260 times
Quote:
are we talking about the impact of dropping ones prozac to avoid weight gain, or of drinking sugary drinks for mental health? The former, by all means deal with the depression first. The latter - well I would seriously doubt the long term mental health benefits of a sugar high (leaving aside the mental health issues created by complications from obesity)
Well everyone doesn't pop a prozac to deal with their mental health issues. For many obese people food is their drug. I would think that they need to address the underlying issue of why they overeat first. But that's just me.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:44 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,571,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Well, it's fairly obvious (to me) that mine has dropped. I also think what I haven't seen addressed (tho' I read so many pages, it may have been) is that in the last what, 10 years or so, we have hormones in our meat, and dairy.
That was mentioned I think in another thread - one of the POSSIBLE contributors to the obesity epidemic.

I doubt its decisive though. One can look at maps of obesity in the USA by county (which, BTW, track reasonably well with maps for diabetes). The low obesity areas are, AFAICT, not mostly folks eating organic meat and dairy - (I would never tell someone not to eat organic - its better for the environment, even if the health benefits are far from certain) - I think it takes total calorie intake and activity to explain the lions share of it.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Well everyone doesn't pop a prozac to deal with their mental health issues. For many obese people food is their drug. I would think that they need to address the underlying issue of why they overeat first. But that's just me.

not necessarily. I have read a good bit on depression, and how people will self medicate with caffeine, sugar, and butterfat (and its interesting that a lot of indulgence drinks and foods COMBINE those) - and everything I've read suggests those make the depression WORSE. You get temporary relief, but when it wears off you feel worse. I have been told that eating more fresh foods, and less caffeine/sugar etc is one of the steps to take to fight the depression.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
not necessarily. I have read a good bit on depression, and how people will self medicate with caffeine, sugar, and butterfat (and its interesting that a lot of indulgence drinks and foods COMBINE those) - and everything I've read suggests those make the depression WORSE. You get temporary relief, but when it wears off you feel worse. I have been told that eating more fresh foods, and less caffeine/sugar etc is one of the steps to take to fight the depression.
That's not the point. Drugs and alcohol makes depression worse yet people still abuse them. You can tell people that eating healthy will make things better but that doesn't mean that they will do it.

Besides not all mental health issues are caused by a chemical imbalance. Do you think eating salads and apples will help a person who has had a hellish childhood?

Old 08-08-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
That's not the point. Drugs and alcohol makes depression worse yet people still abuse them. You can tell people that eating healthy will make things better but that doesn't mean that they will do it.

Besides not all mental health issues are caused by a chemical imbalance. Do you think eating salads and apples will help a person who had a hellish childhood?

From what I have read, there is no distinction among professionals between so called chemical depressions and so called situational depressions. Thats a distinction made by people trying to defend using an SSRI from attacks by "deal with your life situation first" people.

In fact all depressions are impacted by stress, and all are expressed chemically in the brain. Stress itself IMPACTS brain chemistry. Therapy to address life issues and meds can help with depressions - psychiatrists do NOT reserve meds for so called chemical depressions, and therapists use cognitive behavioral techniques to help people deal with stress whatever the origin of their depression.

If you have a depression that is heavily impacted by something in your life situation, using sugar as a drug probably STILL makes the depression worse, and switching to fresh foods (and exercising, BTW) will probably still help. Theres no reason to delay those changes till you have addressed the stresses, and delaying might just make it harder to adress them.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
You can tell people that eating healthy will make things better but that doesn't mean that they will do it.
So? where did I claim to be God? Im just saying that the idea of delaying improving your diet and exercise till your mental health improves is silly. I never said I can stop people from being silly.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:16 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
Quote:
Besides not all mental health issues are caused by a chemical imbalance. Do you think eating salads and apples will help a person who has had a hellish childhood?
To the extent they'll help anyone else, I'd say yes. As someone who has had an actual bout with major depression in the midst of an otherwise pretty happy and stress free life, I'd say a hellish childhood plays no bigger a role in that than in any other type of affliction such as cancer or heart disease. The cause and effect linkage is pretty weak but people prefer to focus on it because they love to blame their problems on something other than random chance and bad genes for some reason (like people who blame autism on childhood innoculations). There are plenty of people with hellish childhoods who never develop major depression and plenty with happy childhoods who do. I'm sticking with the random chance/genetics causing chemical imbalance theory.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
To the extent they'll help anyone else, I'd say yes. As someone who has had an actual bout with major depression in the midst of an otherwise pretty happy and stress free life, I'd say a hellish childhood plays no bigger a role in that than in any other type of affliction such as cancer or heart disease. The cause and effect linkage is pretty weak but people prefer to focus on it because they love to blame their problems on something other than random chance and bad genes for some reason (like people who blame autism on childhood innoculations). There are plenty of people with hellish childhoods who never develop major depression and plenty with happy childhoods who do. I'm sticking with the random chance/genetics causing chemical imbalance theory.
I would say current stresses play a role, and IIUC the causality there is pretty well established, and I dont see how that excludes a role for genetics and chemistry. Its like a car tire. Some tires are so worn they blow anyway. Some road hazards will blow the strongest tire. But usually its some combination of a road hazards and tire weakness. From what I have gathered, our neurotransmitters are designed to get us through daily stress. But extreme or repeated stress can mess up a healthy neurotransmitter system, and some folks are more vulnerable in their neurotransmitter systems (though the amount of stress involved matters to them too) I mean with CVD, we can all accept that diet matters, and genetics matters, and that they INTERACT. For some reason we can't accept a mixed causuality for depression. It has to be one or the other, and the solution has to map to the cause.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
So? where did I claim to be God? Im just saying that the idea of delaying improving your diet and exercise till your mental health improves is silly. I never said I can stop people from being silly.
I'm not advocating getting years of therapy before adopting a healthier lifestyle. I do think that if people focus on their mental health first and foremost that everything else will fall in line.

Diet and exercise do help but it's very difficult to do when your mind is not in the right place. People focus so much on the scale that they ignore the underlying reasons of why they gained the weight in the first place. This is why I think most diets fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss