Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:08 PM

553 posts, read 1,545,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
I'm doing a juice feast ( not fast) this week, anyone want to join me ?

I started this morning, will go till Friday. You can go 24 hrs, if you want at least its a start, and you will feel healthier.

What I use:

Zico Coconut Water ( Trader Joe's & Henry's carry it )
Broccoli
Cucumber
Cilantro
Italian Flat Leaf Parsley
Green Apple
Pear

OR

You can use any green veggies you'd like. You can tailor it to your tastes.

I mix one liter of coconut water with a 1/2 gallon of green juice. And drink it through out my day.

If you have questions please ask me, as I'm sure I've left out details...I always do.
I'm so happy you started this thread! I juice every single day. I've been doing this for about a month now and I've only missed 2 days. And boy can you feel the difference when you skip a day. I just feel "icky" if I don't have it.

My ingredients are:
Kale or chard leaves (a good small handful)
big leafy greens (NO mustard or turnip greens, huge mistake)
1 big green granny smith apple or 2 little red ones
2 carrots
3 celery stalks
1/2 peeled lemon
1/2 cucumber
1/4 zucchini chunk (seeded) (if I get them for free from friend or relative)

I have a farmers market by my house and they have excellent prices. I can juice for an entire week on $10.00. I buy the lemons in bulk, so they last even longer.

Another poster on this thread mentioned Fat Sick and Nearly Dead | a Joe Cross Film I gave that person rep points because Joe Cross was also my inspiration for "rebooting". Absolutely a must see movie. I wanted more energy, to just feel better, ya know what I mean? It's given me a new appreciation for unprocessed foods like fruits and veggies. That link also has some amazing recipes for different kinds of juice. I'm currently searching for a good winter blend.

Have you tried Aloe Vera juice? I see that everywhere but I haven't gotten enough nerve to add it to my juice yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 02:02 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,991,940 times
Thread revival. So happy I found this thread.

I've been juicing for just over a week now. I'm on day 10 to be exact. I'm was your average joe, 6'4", 208.4lbs, 27yo male who saw Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead amongst other documentaries on TV.
I started, but I didn't follow the diet strictly. I didn't go hardcore and cut out solid foods completely in fear I would break down and give up. Plus there is too much food around the house to go to waste, so I still ate solid food including carbs, meat, dairy and eggs. I took the approach of juicing as a meal REPLACEMENT. I just did this to see if there were any noticable effects on my body. BTW, I do not excercise execept for 1 night a week I play league volleyball. I even ate junk food during the super bowl.

Still, to my surprise this morning I weighed 203.6lbs. my 34" pants and my fitted dres shirt fit better already.

I am happy with the results (so is my wife) and it has been painless. My standard juice consists of

4-5 stalks of Kale
2-3 carrots
2-3 celery stalks
1 apple
1 lemon
1 finger of ginger

This makes about 22oz of juice in my Breville Ikon and it tastes great! It's sweet in fact i'm considering cutting down on the apple (or increasing the kale) to get the most nutrient I can tolerate without sugar/taste. I will replace/throw in other vegetables to change things up a bit. Broccoli, cucumber, spinach, green peppers, pineapple, grapefruit, grapes, limes, berries...

My current meat consumption is about 2oz/day. Meat will likely be cut drastically in the future. Solid food will still continue, as my wife and I enjoy our sit down meals and she does not juice.

I just need to figure out how to replace the probiotic i'm getting from my yogurt...

Old 02-06-2012, 04:44 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,828,075 times
The point of detoxing is pointless. Colonics are pointless and can be harmful. Our bodies work remarkably well when we take care of them. I think drinking fresh juice is a great idea, I also think eating a variety of healthy foods is also a great idea.
Its amazing how people glom onto these extreme ways of eating and then become convinced its the BEST way to eat.
ANd if anyone thinks a 'master cleanse' is a good idea, I have some swamp land I would like to sell you.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The point of detoxing is pointless. Colonics are pointless and can be harmful. Our bodies work remarkably well when we take care of them. I think drinking fresh juice is a great idea, I also think eating a variety of healthy foods is also a great idea.
Its amazing how people glom onto these extreme ways of eating and then become convinced its the BEST way to eat.
ANd if anyone thinks a 'master cleanse' is a good idea, I have some swamp land I would like to sell you.
Agreed. I'd just like to piggy back on the above poster and say I'm not on a "detox" or "cleanse" or "fast/feast" of anysort. I'm just trying to make healthier choices in what I eat, and juicing is what's working for me. I still eat whole foods, rice, chicken, eggs, dairy, etc.. In no way is drinking large glass of juice considered extreme by any measure.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:38 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,627,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
I'm not detoxing. This is my normal diet.

I said "its a great way to detox" since most people eat a poisoned diet. The benefits of juicing are phenomonal, add the coconut water (which has a plethora of health benefits on its own) and you can achieve amazing health results.
What.......poisoned diet....who wuld have thunk it???

If anyone was to eat a "poisoned diet" on a regular basis.......well, they would have little thingees like kidney failure, liver failure or jaundice. The body can readily handle micro-traces of toxins, that is what your liver is for.....no need to GREEN FEAST.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
What.......poisoned diet....who wuld have thunk it???

If anyone was to eat a "poisoned diet" on a regular basis.......well, they would have little thingees like kidney failure, liver failure or jaundice. The body can readily handle micro-traces of toxins, that is what your liver is for.....no need to GREEN FEAST.
Some people get caught up in the "detox" thing, but I don't see that as the reason to drink juice.

I've been cheating since Friday because I have family in town (sushi, thai, cheeseburgers, onion rings. multiple pints of beer, chicken wings, italian subs just off the top of my head) and I'm still losing weight.

I usually weigh myself first thing in the morning right after I pee, but I cooked breakfast for everyone and weighed myself afterward my meal... 203.0lbs! Imagine if i'd been juicing this whole time? Something good is definitely going on here...

Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 AM

806 posts, read 2,342,653 times
Thanks to the movie already mentioned "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" I just bought a great juicer, not too pricey, and have started juicing. I love it so far.

I guess drinking just the juice, and not the fiber, is to get the nutrients quickly to your cells, not have to go throught a long digestion process and your body uses it's stored FAT as energy.

Some of the previous posters have some serious attitude issues..

I'm not going to do a fast or feast. I'm just going to stop eating all of the junk I normally eat that has caused my weight gain.. I will probably have a few snacks every now and then, but gonna give my body real food, stuff that comes from the earth.

Aloha!

Old 02-15-2012, 04:27 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,056,922 times
I LOVE my Omega Vert. I've had quite a few juicers, and so far this one is my all-time favorite. http://www.discountjuicers.com/omegavrt330.html

Next week while my husband is out of town I'm going to do 5 days of juicing. I do this every spring. It's like spring cleaning but for my body. I drink anywhere between 3 - 6 glasses of green juice a day, along with lots of water, and if I feel like I want something more I snack on slices of cucumber, celery, papaya or mango.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:07 AM

I weight my self every morning after I pee. On the days when I remember, I've been texting my wife to keep track of my weight.
Looking back at my text messages, I've summarized the progress! I wonder when I'll plateau...

Summary of my texts:
2012-02-01 205.2 lbs
2012-02-02 204.6 lbs
2012-02-03 204.2 lbs
2012-02-06 203.6 lbs
2012-02-08 204.2 lbs (family visiting in town)
2012-02-09 204.2 lbs
2012-02-11 203.0 lbs
2012-02-15 203.8 lbs (day after Valentines)
2012-02-17 202.4 lbs
2012-02-21 201.6 lbs (belt tightened to next hole)
2012-02-22 201.2 lbs

As you can see how the loss is not even because I haven't been following the juicing strictly, but you can sure see a downward trend!
BTW, I use this scale which goes in 0.2 lbs increments.
Amazon.com: EatSmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale w/ Extra Large Backlit 3.5" Display and "Step-On" Technology: Bedding & Bath

Old 02-27-2012, 09:27 AM

It's a new week and time for my Monday update.

I tried to juice cabbage, and my body did NOT like that at all. That stuff went right through me.
I've been juicing Kale, carrots, cuces, and ginger with apples/lemons/grapes to adjust sweetness with enough kale to keep the juice a dark green.

2012-02-23 200.0 lbs (Volleyball)
2012-02-24 200.2 lbs
2012-02-25 199.8 lbs
2012-02-26 199.4 lbs
2012-02-27 198.2 lbs

I wonder when I'm going to plateau...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss