Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:18 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,005,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Yep. Mental Health forum is where this needs to be.
Like I said, go play somewhere else if you have nothing to contribute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 05:25 PM

461 posts, read 1,314,982 times
mstygirl, I don't think it had to do with your weight. It sounds like he was just being a jerk, maybe even sexist. Unfortunately, I do believe weight discrimination exists and it is really sad. People are people, no matter what size. I have experienced "reverse" discrimination by having heavier people treat me poorly and make negative comments about my size. This has come from complete strangers passing me on the street, coworkers and employees at different businesses. Luckily it doesn't happen often. I've never understood any type of discimination...it just screams ignorance and lack of respect.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:31 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,065,257 times
I do think there is weight discrimination, conversley I do think there is pretty discrimination also. How many times have you heard the whisper that "she got the job because of her looks".

For me it's about being true to myself and confident in who I am and what I do, if someone wants to perceive me incorrectly that's their problem and usually my advantage.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:02 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,801,976 times
There is all kinds of discrimination. I've even been denied jobs for being a military spouse. Cant prove it, but it happens. Even being a mother your discriminated against.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:48 PM

461 posts, read 1,314,982 times
Very true ladybug. People are discriminated against for a variety of reasons.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksn75 View Post
mstygirl, I don't think it had to do with your weight. It sounds like he was just being a jerk, maybe even sexist. Unfortunately, I do believe weight discrimination exists and it is really sad. People are people, no matter what size. I have experienced "reverse" discrimination by having heavier people treat me poorly and make negative comments about my size. This has come from complete strangers passing me on the street, coworkers and employees at different businesses. Luckily it doesn't happen often. I've never understood any type of discimination...it just screams ignorance and lack of respect.
I think you're right. I've concluded that there are just a lot of jerks out there. What makes them tick? I think they are just very unhappy people. I used to live in an undesireable area and by the end of the train line it sure showed on everyone's faces. I think some people are just miserable and like to take it out on others or be one up on others. This doesn't only happen IRL, but you can see it on the Internet as well. That is why I have to step away at times as I value my blood pressure.

Having said this, the reverse discrimination you've experienced (I'm assuming you're thin) is most likely jealousy. I can't say I'd be jealous of a thin person, maybe wish I were them, but not begrudge them for being thin.

Anyway, I would rather be discriminated against for being too thin than too fat (after all, look at Hollywood!). The only place you'll see fat people who are famous is on the cover of the National Enquirer in unflattering poses in swim suits.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
There is all kinds of discrimination. I've even been denied jobs for being a military spouse. Cant prove it, but it happens. Even being a mother your discriminated against.
There's another forum (can't say which) but SAHMs (stay at home moms) were just bashed by some for being SAHMs trying to get back into the workforce. Poor things. Talk about discrimination. Years ago it was perfectly acceptable to take time and raise your family and now you have to figure out what to put on a resume - do I say domestic engineer or what do I say?

And don't get me started on age discrimination. I went to a job fair. This was after they'd seen my resume and THEY invited ME. Long story short, they lied and made up a bogus excuse as to why they would not interview me. It was one of three things - my age, my weight, or both. I really pressed the issue with the company and got them to fess up it had nothing to do with the lie they told me. I threatened legal action but it's too hard to prove - any kind of discrimination and really weight isn't even recognized as such.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I do think there is weight discrimination, conversley I do think there is pretty discrimination also. How many times have you heard the whisper that "she got the job because of her looks".

For me it's about being true to myself and confident in who I am and what I do, if someone wants to perceive me incorrectly that's their problem and usually my advantage.
Hey, I'd still rather be pretty and get that whisper than not. But you're perfectly right and I've been guilty of hiring someone very pretty myself for a receptionist position.

And while I agree with your second sentence, I wish it were that simple. When you are seated in a group interview for a bank teller job and you're competing with thin 23 year olds and you're 45 and fat, I can tell you who is not getting hired - unless they want to fill a quota.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:14 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,801,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
There's another forum (can't say which) but SAHMs (stay at home moms) were just bashed by some for being SAHMs trying to get back into the workforce. Poor things. Talk about discrimination. Years ago it was perfectly acceptable to take time and raise your family and now you have to figure out what to put on a resume - do I say domestic engineer or what do I say?

And don't get me started on age discrimination. I went to a job fair. This was after they'd seen my resume and THEY invited ME. Long story short, they lied and made up a bogus excuse as to why they would not interview me. It was one of three things - my age, my weight, or both. I really pressed the issue with the company and got them to fess up it had nothing to do with the lie they told me. I threatened legal action but it's too hard to prove - any kind of discrimination and really weight isn't even recognized as such.

The whole WAHM and SAHM battle has been a war for years. I wish I still had an email that gave all the fancy names of jobs that Moms do. It was awesome.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:18 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,919,144 times
Default Airlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Don't you all (or am I dating myself) remember when they actually used to publicize weight requirements to be an "airline stewardess?" How is that not discrimination?

When I was growing up our next door neighbor was told straight to her face she would not be hired as she was too fat.
As for airline stewardesses, there are rational, job-related reasons for not hiring fat people. The aisles are narrow and you are having to squeeze past people continually. The more weight in the airplane (luggage and passengers) the more fuel it uses, so why would the airline want to fly your extra weight around full time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss