Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:40 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times

Advertisements

"Well......if I was a smoker and wanted to defend my rights to smoke, I might visit an anti-smoking board, so that I could present the other side of the argument. "

By an anti smoking board, I presume you mean one where folks wanted to legally ban smoking, increase cig taxes, ban smoking in additional venues, etc.

The only equivalent in the weight loss world would be proposals to tax sugary drinks, ban HFCS, or require restaurants to post nutritional info.

We hardly ever have threads on issues like that here.

This is MORE like a quit smoking board, where folks argue about the merits of quitting cold turkey vs cutting back, of nicorette gum vs patches vs using nothing, of therapy, etc (forgive me if i get the issues wrong, I have never been a smoker and dont know what quit smoking folks actually argue about). So the bread and butter of this board (so to speak) is atkins vs WW, paleo vs atkins, Dukan vs everybody, vegan vs omnivore, fruit vs dairy, etc. Aerobics vs walking, slow weight loss vs fast, tracking vs eliminating particular foods, etc, etc, etc.

Its NOT, for the most part, about public policy. And its not about the personal desirability of weight loss - we all agree on that, or we wouldnt be here.

The main way that fat acceptance is relevant here, would be, I think, that some folks find the moralization of food an actual deterrent to weight loss - the Weight Watchers (TM) approach, with which I agree, tries to get away from talk of guilt and morality with respect to weight loss (moral talk with respect to OTHER aspects of food, like animal cruelty, is another thing of course) Other people seem to think they need that kind of thinking to help lose. If THATs what you want to talk about, by all means go ahead, this IS the right place to talk about it. And you will have me as an ally on THAT issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 08:22 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Since there is a thread on fat acceptance here, I thought I'd start one on weight discrimination as I searched on that and came up with nothing. I have the impression most people are pretty in shape in this forum, but maybe some aren't or maybe some weren't.

At any rate, I'd like to have a discussion of weight discrimination. Since I've been every size of the rainbow, I think I'm in a perfect position to comment. My weight of 122 four years ago is far removed from my current weight of 193 four years later, but my basic looks are not. I still have no gray hair, same hair, no changes, etc. Just more fat. Well, recently I dealt with a contractor. Upon arriving at my house he guessed I used to work in banking. Hmm, he was right! He guessed I was a teller. Hmmm, he was wrong. I actually had a very good job and made good money. In fact, only those with MBAs and PhDs had the type of job I did in the departments where I worked.

So then issues came up and he condescendingly tells me he understands my view of the world has been shaped from my being an "employee" as if he is better than me in some way. Now, you may wonder what this has to do with weight discrimination. First, why assume I had a lower level position in a bank? Two, why assume I was some uneducated worker bee whose world view was shaped like some drone? I say had I been 70 lbs thinner and he had walked in my door he would have guessed a different profession and would not have been nearly so condescending to me. Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe most contractors are just jerks. But certainly contractors know there are women who work in higher level positions at banks.

And it happened in another situation too I vaguely remember. In fact, I was ready to say "I know she's cuter than me, but I was here first" to a service person, but the other customer knew enough to let me go first.

Well, I'd like to hear any examples you've experienced due to your weight that you feel were discrimination.
I have seen this judgement go down due to weight on either end, age related judgement, attire related judgement etc.

I think like it or not, what we look like sends a message to the world of who we are.

I had people be nicer to me when I was fat. Less men but nicer men. But upon getting thin = more shallow men, fat women hate you unless you are friends with them (know them). Its much easier to get hired by a man when thin but Moderator cut: language removed

if the woman is fatter unless she is cool. If they give you the up down look and press lips tightly...you know you are face to face with the green monster that won't hire you.

I actually had one fat middle aged woman not hire me for a sales job because she thought the husbands would be checking me out and I looked too young.
I wore a black floral shirt dress below the knee with black opaque stockings and penny loafers with minimal makeup so its not like I was skanked out at all.

Whatever...haters gonna hate.

I think its just more important to not give a Moderator cut: language

and like what you are.

Just a random thing about that too. When I was heavy no one but my family suggested to lose weight. Now that I am thin its always a joke to gain 20 lbs when I am around heavy people.
Despite me never saying anything like: Why don't you lose 20!

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-19-2011 at 07:13 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 02:11 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
[quote=Opsimathia;20942920]I think its just more important to not give a Moderator cut: language and like who you are.]

Good advice.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-19-2011 at 07:15 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 02:28 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Most socializing among females in DFW seems to occur over food.
More socializing "period". And there are those happy hours with the margaritas full of calories while guys have their beers... *sigh*

Congrats on your achievement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post

I think its just more important to not give a flying **** and like what you are.

Just a random thing about that too. When I was heavy no one but my family suggested to lose weight. Now that I am thin its always a joke to gain 20 lbs when I am around heavy people.
Despite me never saying anything like: Why don't you lose 20!
I agree. If people are healthy and happy, what's the problem.

And your story about family and/or friends being mean after you lose weight is sadly common. When it happened to me I just thought it was a good time to know new friends with a healthier mindset.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:43 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
I dont know if its cause Im male, or cause the culture is different here in DC, but NO one has been mean to me since ive lost weight.

the first question is was it something I tried to do - they want to know its not cause Im sick or something - I usually tell them Im fine, other than the cholesterol numbers that prompted the weight loss.

The second question is "how did you do it" which is when I launch into the weight watchers spiel.

they usually say "well dont lose anymore" which is fine, cause I really am at the right weight now.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:05 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
I wouldn't say the people who told me to gain were being mean. Just making jokes about how I have room to gain. Which is fine, because its true and that was my plan all along. And I remember being bigger and smaller. The perspective of other changes depending on your state and what you are used to looking at. I remember being big and certain images of females looked a little too skinny. Now they look fine. Still skinny, but not shockingly so.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:20 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I dont know if its cause Im male, or cause the culture is different here in DC, but NO one has been mean to me since ive lost weight.

the first question is was it something I tried to do - they want to know its not cause Im sick or something - I usually tell them Im fine, other than the cholesterol numbers that prompted the weight loss.

The second question is "how did you do it" which is when I launch into the weight watchers spiel.

they usually say "well dont lose anymore" which is fine, cause I really am at the right weight now.
I usually get "you look great" with kind of a jaw dropping expression. My favorite was being told "you don't look like someone who just lost a bunch of weight", I guess meaning I didn't have big blobs of flab hanging down. Then they ask how I did it. I exercise a lot so they don't wonder if I've been sick plus it's summer so have a tan.

Sometimes I play with them and when asked how I say "oh I just skip dessert" or "I cut out second helpings"

Old 09-22-2011, 08:45 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
I agree. I don't think the OP's story is an example of weight discrimination.
I think it may be sexism. She's a woman, worked at a bank--must have been a teller. Only men are managers and officers.

Weight discrimination does exist, though, even in social settings. I was at a barbecue with a fat friend, and the host was offering us different drinks from the cooler--asked me if I wanted a beer, and I said yes, and then he asked my friend if she wanted a diet soda. No, she wanted a beer, too!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:05 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Was reading the Week news magazine and they have blubs called "Only in America" Read one where a regular customer of a local White Castle restaurant was suing the restaurant because they did a remodel and the obese man could no longer fit into the booth.
Then there is the famous Southwest Airlines issue from several years ago because an obese individual was asked to buy 2 seats so that they would pay for the space they occupy instead of crowding out a regularly sized individual..

Old 09-23-2011, 09:10 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Since there is a thread on fat acceptance here, I thought I'd start one on weight discrimination as I searched on that and came up with nothing. I have the impression most people are pretty in shape in this forum, but maybe some aren't or maybe some weren't.

At any rate, I'd like to have a discussion of weight discrimination. Since I've been every size of the rainbow, I think I'm in a perfect position to comment. My weight of 122 four years ago is far removed from my current weight of 193 four years later, but my basic looks are not. I still have no gray hair, same hair, no changes, etc. Just more fat. Well, recently I dealt with a contractor. Upon arriving at my house he guessed I used to work in banking. Hmm, he was right! He guessed I was a teller. Hmmm, he was wrong. I actually had a very good job and made good money. In fact, only those with MBAs and PhDs had the type of job I did in the departments where I worked.

So then issues came up and he condescendingly tells me he understands my view of the world has been shaped from my being an "employee" as if he is better than me in some way. Now, you may wonder what this has to do with weight discrimination. First, why assume I had a lower level position in a bank? Two, why assume I was some uneducated worker bee whose world view was shaped like some drone? I say had I been 70 lbs thinner and he had walked in my door he would have guessed a different profession and would not have been nearly so condescending to me. Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe most contractors are just jerks. But certainly contractors know there are women who work in higher level positions at banks.

And it happened in another situation too I vaguely remember. In fact, I was ready to say "I know she's cuter than me, but I was here first" to a service person, but the other customer knew enough to let me go first.

Well, I'd like to hear any examples you've experienced due to your weight that you feel were discrimination.
I'm guessing your contractor was formerly in the military.

While many forms of bigotry and prejudice exist in the service, the primary judgement leveed against any member of a combat arms M.O.S. or rating is whether or not that person is fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss