Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:04 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
There is a huge difference between "size 2", and "not overweight". I will never be that small either, but I am not overweight anymore. My point is that if you feel as if you are discriminated against because you are overweight, lose the weight.

Should weight matter? Well, it depends on who you ask, I guess. Why are people overweight? Generally, a lack of self-control and lack of self-discipline. (Medical reasons are a small percentage). If a person (whether a boss or an SO) wants someone who possesses discipline and self-control, then how is that wrong?

I swear, if people put as much energy into getting fit as they do into making excuses for being overweight, we would all be in better shape (pun intended).

Can you please provide a link to back up your statement that only a small percentage of overweight people are due to medical reasons? This would include those with hypothyroidism (untreated), bipolar or schizophrenic (who must take drugs like Depakote or Seroquel), those who are mobility-limited and cannot get around, perhaps some type of insulin issues, etc. You get the idea.

If you cannot, your other statements are null and void.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 09:09 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Can you please provide a link to back up your statement that only a small percentage of overweight people are due to medical reasons? This would include those with hypothyroidism (untreated), bipolar or schizophrenic (who must take drugs like Depakote or Seroquel), those who are mobility-limited and cannot get around, perhaps some type of insulin issues, etc. You get the idea.

See my statement below. You are quite good at this excuse thing.

Quote:
I swear, if people put as much energy into getting fit as they do into making excuses for being overweight, we would all be in better shape (pun intended).

Old 09-09-2011, 09:11 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:

That's just a well-known fact. About 8% can cite genetic reasons. You can google it yourself.

I believe there is something wrong with our food. It's not just our lifestyles. This obesity thing really took off over the last 25 years - not coincidentally the time that HFCS was put into EVERYTHING (seriously...even freakin' ketchup)...and other food additives became popular. It's why there is a ban on it at our house.

I don't know any obese people who eat completely whole foods all the time, focusing on high fiber veggies, lean proteins, and are sensible about fruit intake.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
See my statement below. You are quite good at this excuse thing.
No, I'm just really growing tired of self-righteousness and lack of data.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:18 PM

Sweetheart, all the data in the world won't help you if you can't control what you put into your mouth. When I was fat, I knew that it took 3500 calorie deficit (that's eating less and moving more) to lose weight. Didn't make me lose weight. I also knew that there were 540 calories in a Big Mac. Didn't stop me from ordering them. I also knew that I should eat around 1500 calories a day to get to a healthy weight. I ate twice that much.

But, since you like data:

Healthy Weight: Caloric Balance | DNPAO | CDC

Old 09-09-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's just a well-known fact. About 8% can cite genetic reasons. You can google it yourself.

I believe there is something wrong with our food. It's not just our lifestyles. This obesity thing really took off over the last 25 years - not coincidentally the time that HFCS was put into EVERYTHING (seriously...even freakin' ketchup)...and other food additives became popular. It's why there is a ban on it at our house.

I don't know any obese people who eat completely whole foods all the time, focusing on high fiber veggies, lean proteins, and are sensible about fruit intake.
Ok, so 8% genetic reasons. We have to define genetic reasons. Does this include untreated hypothyroidism? Does this include something going on haywire with the insulin system? Does this include all the meds that psychiatrists pump their patients full of that routinely are known to pack on 70 lbs? I am quite sure there is much more I am not aware of.

And I agree there is something wrong with our lifestyle. You won't see this kind of obesity in other countries because their lifestyle is different. It isn't car-centric and they eat differently. Their culture is different and I'd go so far as to say they don't have that whole emotional eating component thing going on. They most likely don't deal with the eating disorders we do. I'd have to research that.

What has irritated me throughout this thread is the simplicity that most want to approach this subject with. They do not seem to see the big picture and there is WAY too much judgment going on and NO data to support anything.

But this is really getting off topic, but in and of itself a real example of the discrimination that DOES exist with all the holier than thou, self-righteous and judgmental posts thoughout.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:22 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
There's plenty of data out there, sweetheart. I am not your google monkey.
Some can be found on google, article databases, and even on other threads in this forum.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Sweetheart, all the data in the world won't help you if you can't control what you put into your mouth. When I was fat, I knew that it took 3500 calorie deficit (that's eating less and moving more) to lose weight. Didn't make me lose weight. I also knew that there were 540 calories in a Big Mac. Didn't stop me from ordering them. I also knew that I should eat around 1500 calories a day to get to a healthy weight. I ate twice that much.

But, since you like data:

Healthy Weight: Caloric Balance | DNPAO | CDC
First of all, don't call me sweetheart. I guarantee I've gained and lost more weight in my life than you. Enough of the condescension. It's getting old.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Ok, so 8% genetic reasons. We have to define genetic reasons. Does this include untreated hypothyroidism? Does this include something going on haywire with the insulin system? Does this include all the meds that psychiatrists pump their patients full of that routinely are known to pack on 70 lbs? I am quite sure there is much more I am not aware of.

And I agree there is something wrong with our lifestyle. You won't see this kind of obesity in other countries because their lifestyle is different. It isn't car-centric and they eat differently. Their culture is different and I'd go so far as to say they don't have that whole emotional eating component thing going on. They most likely don't deal with the eating disorders we do. I'd have to research that.

What has irritated me throughout this thread is the simplicity that most want to approach this subject with. They do not seem to see the big picture and there is WAY too much judgment going on and NO data to support anything.

But this is really getting off topic, but in and of itself a real example of the discrimination that DOES exist with all the holier than thou, self-righteous and judgmental posts thoughout.
Just as you tire of the "discrimination", I tire of excuses. If people would get real with themselves and do the dang work instead of *****ing, they would be healthier. Stop looking for reasons not to do it and look for reasons TO do it.

An excerpt from that link:

"Despite obesity having strong genetic determinants, the genetic composition of the population does not change rapidly. Therefore, the large increase in . . . [obesity] must reflect major changes in non-genetic factors." Hill, James O., and Trowbridge, Frederick L. Childhood obesity: future directions and research priorities. Pediatrics. 1998; Supplement: 571.

and,

How do genes affect obesity?

Science shows that genetics plays a role in obesity. Genes can directly cause obesity in specific disorders such as Bardet-Biedl syndrome and Prader-Willi syndrome.

However genes do not always predict future health. Genes and behavior may both be needed for a person to be overweight. In some cases multiple genes may increase one's susceptibility for obesity and require outside factors; such as abundant food supply or little physical activity

What data do you need that supports "get off your butt and back away from the table?"

Last edited by mochamajesty; 09-09-2011 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: Edited for clarity

Old 09-09-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There's plenty of data out there, sweetheart. I am not your google monkey.
Some can be found on google, article databases, and even on other threads in this forum.
And to whom are you addressing this? I am not your sweetheart EITHER. Did I effing ask you to google anything?

If there is ONE thing I've learned today, and for some reason especially today, mean people suck and there are plenty of them on the Net. I am out of here.

You all have yourselves a lovely time attacking and belittling each other. I'm done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss