Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:35 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,807,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I don't worry about it. I love water. It is my beverage of choice. Drinking water is one of the most healthy things you can do for yourself.
That's great.
But some people stress over it all day, forcing the water down.
Most scientists and health professionals agree that you should "Drink to your thirst".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 09:26 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,828,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
That's great.
But some people stress over it all day, forcing the water down.
Most scientists and health professionals agree that you should "Drink to your thirst".
Yes, but when exercising one must force themselves to drink the proper amount of water. Some people underestimate the amount of sweat they are producing and so they do not replenish it. This leads to a crappy workout because lethargy sets in and a longer recovery period.
And when you say most scientists and health professionals I think it is more divided than that with the majority recommending more water drinking.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00581...t-of-life.html

Old 01-14-2012, 11:16 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,807,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Yes, but when exercising one must force themselves to drink the proper amount of water. Some people underestimate the amount of sweat they are producing and so they do not replenish it. This leads to a crappy workout because lethargy sets in and a longer recovery period.
And when you say most scientists and health professionals I think it is more divided than that with the majority recommending more water drinking.

Water: How much should you drink every day? - MayoClinic.com

Water: An Essential Part of Life
Totally agree. When exercising you must replenish what you've lost via sweat.
The O.P. is talking about their job and lack of bathroom breaks.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:02 PM

52 posts, read 44,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Now, in my diet book, it says to drink 8-10 glasses of water a day...problem. I have a job, I can't take alot of bathroom breaks...I don't have a catherter, nor do I want one.

Anyone have any solutions? I don't want to drink at night...and be up all night...

I am female, and had four kids...
I am shaking my head in agreement with you about being female and having kids. I have two. I hate getting up at night. I am a senior citizen.

Some days I have over 64 ounces of water, I have found the more days I drink water heavily in a row the less frequency to eliminate I experience. I will say trying to down 16 ounces after wakening is a plus for our bodies.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:26 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,828,075 times
Peeing a lot is just a fact of life for me. I sympathize with the person who cannot leave for bathroom breaks. Obviously she has to make adjustments to fit her lifestyle.
My post was directed at the person who says that drinking water is somehow overrated.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
I stop drinking all water about 2 hours before bed, unless I am extremely thirsty. This ensures I will eliminate it before I settle in the covers. If I don't I will surely wake up several times.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:55 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Now, in my diet book, it says to drink 8-10 glasses of water a day...problem. I have a job, I can't take alot of bathroom breaks...I don't have a catherter, nor do I want one.

Anyone have any solutions? I don't want to drink at night...and be up all night...

I am female, and had four kids...
Take your weight in pounds. Divide by 2. That is how many ounces of water you need to drink minimum.

Peeing is not a bad thing. Hey, I work in a place where a pee break could cost someone their life. If I can do it, you can do it.

You are no good to anyone if you don't take care of yourself.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:48 PM

857 posts, read 1,423,810 times
You will go less often after your body adapts to your new intake levels. Right now your body doesn't know what to do with all the extra intake so its causing issues. Keep drinking the water for a few weeks and you will see that you do not go as often as you did at the beginning.

I also agree the 8 cups thing is out of date, I believe drinking half your weight in fl oz. is a good measure. But its water so feel free drink more as you see fit.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:05 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,819,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
You don't need to drink nearly that much water.
I don't know where the health industry gets this stuff.
Most of the water we need daily comes from our food.
If you are eating healthy amounts of fruits, vegetables and meats, you are fine.

So drink what you can and don't worry about it.
I don't know where you get your info from.
That's a totally uninformed post.
Your body needs water.
And you simply cannot get it from just fruit, veggies, and meat-NO MATTER HOW HEALTHY you are.
Mayo Clinc info on water intake

Old 01-19-2012, 07:43 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,552,258 times
I love water myself. However I have to wonder if you drink too much at some point are you not peeing away some of the good things your body needs? I mean that's what water does right? Cleans your system out.

Last edited by reed067; 01-19-2012 at 08:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss