Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:52 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Take your weight in pounds. Divide by 2. That is how many ounces of water you need to drink minimum.

Peeing is not a bad thing. Hey, I work in a place where a pee break could cost someone their life. If I can do it, you can do it.

You are no good to anyone if you don't take care of yourself.
I would be drinking 11 bottles of water a day...Nah, I think maybe take your weight and device it by 3 maybe.....Too much water IS ACTUALLY bad for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 07:59 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
I don't know where you get your info from.
That's a totally uninformed post.
Your body needs water.
And you simply cannot get it from just fruit, veggies, and meat-NO MATTER HOW HEALTHY you are.
Mayo Clinc info on water intake
I said MOST. And I said NEED. As in to survive.
I drank one glass of water today so far, plus what i drank while exercising.
And a cup of coffee.
Yesterday I drank two cups of coffee, one glass of water, one glass of wine and no exercise.
I am plenty hydrated and I don't spend my life in the bathroom.

10 bottles of water is a bit excessive imho.
Not saying getting plenty of fluids is bad, just saying its not worth stressing over.

How much water did you drink 20 years ago? I drank when I happened to walk by a water fountain. And during meals.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:40 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I used to hardly ever drink water, or much of anything else. One cup of coffee, maybe two, and one glass of soda with ice. I was also bloated, felt lethargic and lazy all the time, had no energy, even with all that caffeine. I slept poorly.

Then I started getting some "natural" exercise - meaning, I didn't join a gym at that point, I just started walking more and riding a bike more for simple errands to the supermarket. I would even walk to the ice cream shop

When I started moving more, I noticed a higher thirst drive. Still not much; I might have added a small bottle of water to my daily menu, and sipped it throughout the day. During the really bad week or two of summer humidity and 90+ temperatures I'd add a second bottle, because I could barely breathe after mowing the lawn and the water helped cool my insides down. The hose cooled down my outsides.

Then I joined a gym, and really needed more water, because I was actually sweating, even when I wasn't mowing the lawn. I'm up to the point where now, I have one cup of coffee every morning, no soda at all, and a minimum of 1 litre of water every day. That's even on days when I'm not working out.

One thing I've noticed; this winter, my legs aren't peeling from dryness, and my face doesn't feel coarse before I put on moisturizer. Previously, they did, and it did. I'm guessing it's a combination of increased fitness from exercise, plus less caffeine, less soda, and more water.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:59 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I drank one glass of water today so far, plus what i drank while exercising.
And a cup of coffee.
Yesterday I drank two cups of coffee, one glass of water, one glass of wine and no exercise.

10 bottles of water is a bit excessive imho.
Not saying getting plenty of fluids is bad, just saying its not worth stressing over.

How much water did you drink 20 years ago? I drank when I happened to walk by a water fountain. And during meals.
With all the meat and fat you are eating you should seriously up your water intake.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:54 AM

Ya, i should. It's laziness and more recent.
I'll start drinking a bit more.
Since cutting out all sodas, even diet, I now REALLY like sparkling water.
Never liked it before.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:08 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,926 times
Quote:
No you didn't.
You said:
Quote:
You don't need to drink nearly that much water.
I don't know where the health industry gets this stuff.
Most of the water we need daily comes from our food.
If you are eating healthy amounts of fruits, vegetables and meats, you are fine.

So drink what you can and don't worry about it.
Nowhere did you say "MOST" as in MOST people.
...which would STILL be incorrect information.
Quote:
WRONG AGAIN.
If you think your hydrated with that amount of h20 well---okay--good for you.
But don't come here and try to tell people YOUR way is the right way.
No doctor on earth would say your water intake is good.
Period.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:52 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Especially with two cups of coffee - a known diuretic
and a glass of wine - which has diuretic effects
and only one glass of water.

Basically, he's putting a huge strain on his kidney. Water doesn't come from fats, and he claimed (erroneously, as I had pointed out elsewhere), that his daily diet consisted of 59% fat. Most of the foods he consumed on that list he so kindly posted, were -not- water. Fried egg, butter, steak with butter, asparagus, and broccoli. Most of that has very little water content. The steak would, if he's eating it rare and bloody. But somehow, I'm guessing he doesn't like his meat rare and bloody. He'd have to eat a whole lot more than 8-10 ounces of rare bloody steak a day to get enough water to keep his kidneys healthy though.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:14 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
8 glasses of water a day is a complete joke.
In my opinion, you need at LEAST double that on a daily basis.
I know that at 6'4 260 pounds, I'm a little bigger than some--but my body handles water well.
Drop all the soda and juices if that's your thing and replace with water.
2+ gallons a day for me.

Just think of how your body appreciates it!
Too much water is not good, it flushes the electrolytes from your body.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:05 AM

It's right there in your quotes.
I said "you don't NEED to drink nearly that much".
And I said "MOST of the water".

It's a little extreme, but all I was saying is if the OP's job doesn't allow for the amount of bathroom breaks they would need to consume the amount of water being recommended, it's not a big deal. I'm not saying don't drink at all, just no reason to stress over it. Drink what you can during work days, and then drink more on the weekends if you need to. And I do agree with some of the other posters, some people over do it with the water. But do whatever works for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss