Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 03:12 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,932,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
So anyway, I think I'm going to stay off bread for a little while and see how it goes--the doc who wrote the book seems to believe that wheat is not good for anyone--esp the modern hybrid varieties that are on the market now and if you look around you, wheat is in so many foods, and esp the convenience ones--I mean, it's so much more convenient to reach for a box of crackers than it is to make a salad or cook a burger, even both of those are fairly easy to make. I figure the only thing I will lose will be some weight, and hopefully most of it off the front of me!
What's the author's opinion on gluten-free, steel cut oat? Oat is a grain, and the gluten-free version is supposed to be free of wheat contamination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Whole wheat and a lot of other grains makes me feel very bloated and gives me gas. Something like whole wheat pasta..........YUCK, I get a sickly feeling and get very bloated and gassy.

Rice and Potatoes go down fine.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
What's the author's opinion on gluten-free, steel cut oat? Oat is a grain, and the gluten-free version is supposed to be free of wheat contamination.
I'm not sure as I actually haven't read the book yet--still waiting on amazon. I've looked at his website though and it would seem that he doesn't really approve of many grains, but he thinks wheat is the worst and mainly b/c of how it raises the blood sugar--he claims to have cured diabetics by taking them off wheat. The blog is: Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight

Old 03-08-2012, 01:16 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
You could float me in a holiday parade after I eat Wheat products, flax seeds are even worst. Sigh. I'm going to see if I have better luck with these chia seeds to get some fiber.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
if you want a better read than this read sugar nation. Its not what you think it is, its great. Its not your typical dont eat sugar/fruit, its a whole different thing. Very good book!
I'll look for that at the library--I've heard of it but not read it and it sounds like I need to since I have the world's worst sweet tooth too. Wheat Belly claims that when you get the wheat out of your system that your sweet tooth will magically disappear. I'm taking that with a grain of salt but I'm willing to try it for a few weeks to see. He also says it can take awhile to clear out of your system and for you to feel better so we'll see.

You know though guys, I'm really of two minds. I'm hoping on the one hand that there is no difference, because I really, really love bread and pasta. On the other hand, I very much want to feel better and knock at least 5 inches off my waist. If I took off weight nowhere else but my potbelly, I would look normal since I'm not fat anywhere else but there, so something is going on and I know it's horrible for my health. Anyway, I think I might have slightly less glopping over my belt but it's hard to say for sure.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:50 PM

One thing that I meant to mention is that my mother recently died from a cancer that was dx'ed only 2 weeks before her death. All we know is that it started in her gut but we chose to not put her thru a biopsy just to find out. It gave me the shivers to realize that her mother also died of a gut cancer and so did both of g-ma's parents. Also, there is a weird form of dementia that runs thru the family that doesn't seem to conform to the usual symptoms of alzheimer's and mother certainly had it. I am wondering if some of this could have been due to undx'ed celiac problems. I've heard that people who test negative for celiac disease often do much better anyway when they go off wheat. Well you all know that i'm no scientist but I'm trying to find some answers to my own health challenges and I do not want to get dementia and my mind is already much clearer from some of the changes that I've made. (Clearer from ADD, not dementia symptoms!)

Old 03-10-2012, 04:22 PM

Woohoo! Only lost 3 lbs but lost an inch in the waist so something is happening.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:42 AM

3 weeks in, 10 lbs gone, and 3 inches off the waist. Things are happening! The top shelf is quickly disappearing and the bottom shelf will take a bit longer, lol.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,898 times
just read your whole thread& am happy for you that you're getting results....just curious though, do you miss bread & pasta still? & did you read the book?...Your thread caught my attention because I have a child who is severely allergic to wheat (among other things)...We found out when she was 4 months old & I was nursing her. I had to cut wheat,and all her other allergens, out of my diet. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I had to learn to eat a totally different diet immediately...& I too love pasta& bread, by the time she was finally done breastfeeding, over a year later, ( took forever to wean her), I told myself I was just going to go slow with the wheat. Boy did that go out the window! I was like a heroin addict with my fix from the first for full of maccaroni & of course I also rediscovered my love of cakes& cookies, naturally I gained a ton of wt ....I keep telling myself that one day I'm going to get myself back on my daughter's diet....at least the gluten-free portion of it anyway

Old 03-18-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchstuff2do View Post
:..just curious though, do you miss bread & pasta still? )
OMG yes. And yet I don't dwell on it. One thing that helps is that I've traveled the world and have had better bread almost everywhere else and it was a bit of a let-down to come back to the stuff that passes for bread here in the states and that makes me wonder if that's part of the problem here--the author said that the wheat we eat has changed drastically from what we ate even 100 years ago. And I'm a baker--I even thought hard about starting my own bakery before b/c I love these foods so much--I can make my own delicious bread and bagels even croissants from scratch and I really wanted to be able to consume these things in moderation but I've been trying to do that for years with no success--the cravings continue while I'm eating it. Now I"m to the point where I'm very likely pre-diabetic and I just want to be healthy.

One thing that I really hope though is that I'll get thru this 8 weeks, try a bit of bread and discover that it doesn't make me sick or blow up like a balloon and that I can have it sometimes.

Hey I'm giving you a rep here b/c you did the hardest thing you ever had to do to continue to nurse a child under difficult circumstances, and that is an amazing amount of unselfishness on your part. You gave your daughter an incredible gift. Most people would have just put baby on the bottle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss