Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:05 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,318 times

Advertisements

Does anyone on this thread eat wholemeal or granary bread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 05:15 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Good thread.

I had fallen off the no-glten wagon and blew right up again. Now I'm back. No gltuen-containing products for a few days, and already I feel the difference.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:07 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Does anyone on this thread eat wholemeal or granary bread?
If you're asking whether that is better for you, the author says no. I haven't eaten anything but wholegrain bread since I was a kid. I don't know if you have the equivalent of Wonder bread over there but it's the balloony white stuff that most of us poke fun of (and secretly love) and that will send your blood sugar up higher than candy does. I never grew up on that--dad was too cheap and bought the cheapest white bread in the store, but as an adult I've always bought the best whole grain bread I could afford, and lately that's been ezekiel bread, but he says even that is troublesome. Still I hope to go back to it, lol.

Mighty Queen, did you know that what's going on in your gut has a great deal to do with what's going on in your head? They're connected--I read that when you're a fetus, your gut splits off from your brain but they're still connected by the vagus nerve and the gut produces serotonin also. Interesting huh?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,932,074 times
I stopped eating wheat-based products two weeks ago and noticed an immediate difference. For example, my mind is now clear and fresh in the morning; I no longer take after lunch naps; my joints experience less pain; and I've experienced weight loss/less bloating.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:28 PM

Wow, I figured I'd get blasted out of the water for this thread and instead several of you seem to have had problems. I just realized another benefit--I'm not farting all the time--in fact, not at all. Nothing makes a gal feel sexier than a bad bout of the rotten egg toots. TMI!

Old 03-22-2012, 03:32 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Three weeks now and -7 pounds on a no-grain,minimal dairy regime.
The 'fireplug' shape has become a more defined hourglass but with boxy hips and thighs still to whittle away at.
The surprising thing came when I planned a cheat since friends suggested a lunch date.
As I thought of all the things I could choose....pizza, french fries... I realized I didn't really crave any of them so may not bother and chose a place with a good salad bar.
And yes,excess gas appears to disappear along with the bloat

Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,932,074 times
This is one of the videos that led me to seriously consider abstaining from wheat-based products:

Wheat Belly Weight Loss - My Journey - YouTube

Old 03-25-2012, 10:45 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I was at the health food store yesterday and talking to the cashier about something and she looked at me and immediately asked me if I'd heard about the book, Wheat Belly. I have not and I felt a little insulted b/c I do have a pot belly--always have had--was looking at pix with my bro the other day and even from early childhood I've had this. It's gotten worse over the last year with stress eating and I've gained around 10 lbs with all of it going to the front of me. The funny thing is that I've been low-carbing for the past week and that means of course that I've not eaten any bread and I do feel some better of course, though that could be due to other things.

Thinking back, I've always been a bread-head. I was raised on a pretty crappy diet and the main thing that I liked to eat for a snack was toast. I became a bread baker and I make really good bread and that's b/c I like to eat it so much, along with the homemade from scratch cookies and cakes that taste so good, though I don't bake those as much. Also when I was young, I had a lot of health problems--allergies and asthma sent me to the ER more than once, and I had really bad moods and was cranky and irritable and depressed. In fact, I just apologized to my brother this past weekend for some of the things I said or did and that was 40 years ago! After I got away from home and started to eat a higher quality diet, many of those things improved, but I still have a host of minor health problems. This doctor seems to think that a lot of health problems can be cleared up by going off wheat so I'm interested. He also says that people who have problems with wheat tend to carry a lot of belly fat.

So anyway, I think I'm going to stay off bread for a little while and see how it goes--the doc who wrote the book seems to believe that wheat is not good for anyone--esp the modern hybrid varieties that are on the market now and if you look around you, wheat is in so many foods, and esp the convenience ones--I mean, it's so much more convenient to reach for a box of crackers than it is to make a salad or cook a burger, even both of those are fairly easy to make. I figure the only thing I will lose will be some weight, and hopefully most of it off the front of me!

So, I'm posting this in case anyone else has tried going off wheat (who doesn't need to medically) and how it went and all. It sounds terribly hard to me right now though it helps that I've been low carbing all week anyway. Or maybe you're thinking about it?
Yes, Wheat Belly is a great book.

I have been Gluten Free for over three years and have lost 25 pounds. I am also on the Autism Spectrum so being on this diet regimen has been an enormous benefit to me. My thinking and overall mental clarity is vastly improved. When eating wheat in the past I noticed that my overall thought processes would be more muddled which tended to result in more stress. I have also been dairy free for over a year and a half and have also cut out soy and eggs.

My advice is to stick with the wheat free diet and try to avoid dairy. It is a life changer for most people, and I will NEVER go back to my old ways of eating ever again. Eating foods like pizza, breads, pastries IS an addiction. These foods are addicting and they aren't healthy because the chemical roundup is used to grow wheat that is mostly a GMO product. The SAME is true with soy as well as corn. I eat corn, but try to only buy organic. Lean meats I only buy organic or from local farms whenever possible. I don't trust the mass produced garbage approved by the USDA. The "locavore" movement has taken off in most parts of the county and that is why farmers markets, farm fresh foods, and local foods are incredibly popular right now.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:47 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
This is one of the videos that led me to seriously consider abstaining from wheat-based products:

Wheat Belly Weight Loss - My Journey - YouTube
I lost 25 pounds over three years and haven't gained any weight back at all since avoiding wheat (three years) and dairy (one year). The crazy thing is I don't even get as much exercise as I should. Avoid those two food groups and try to ditch all processed foods.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:33 PM

Granitestater, interesting that you mention improvement from your symptoms of being on the autism spectrum--this diet is supposed to help those with AD/HD also. I haven't yet taken the step of cutting out dairy but might try that next. I fell off my diet this past weekend and I swear that every inch I lost off my waist just piled back on--what a difference! And I got all stinky flatulent too--so bad that I left a dance early b/c I had the toots. I'll be staying off. I think though that it will take longer to clear out of my brain.

Oh and Steve Morse: good call on the book Sugar Nation. I did read it and learned a lot but must say that I wasn't surprised by much of it--I've had a strong feeling that diabetes care is often mismanaged and it doesn't take a dietitian to tell me that the Mayo Clinic's suggestion of up to 65 gms of carbs a day is going to kill me sooner than later but many dietitians will recommend what the Mayo clinic does. BTW, the wheat belly doc says that he has cured some cases of diabetes by taking folks off wheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss