Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:07 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times

Advertisements

I have celiac disease - I was diagnosed a little over a year ago - stomach pains, rashes (that the doc thought was shingles), very anemic and low thyroid. I eat a completely wheat free diet and am feeling so much better - I never ever cheat...and yes, I do miss real bread sometimes.

I initially gained weight after being diagnosed - I had started buying gluten free bread, crackers, cookies, pancake mix, frozen waffles, etc.....most gluten free crackers, bread, cookies, chips, etc....are very caloric, have almost no fiber and will make you gain weight faster than if you ate regular wheat-based products. Two little (and I mean little) pieces of gluten free bread can often be 300 calories or more with no more than a gram of fiber - often no fiber. Most gluten free bread, chips, cookies, cake mixes and crackers are corn or rice based - refined corn or rice flour, no or little fiber and very caloric.

So I stay away from gluten free bread (I have one loaf in the freezer and I have a piece of toast once a week. Toasted gluten free bread tastes the best - the bread is not great tasting and I've tried them all). I'll buy gluten free crackers only occasionally and maybe eat a few corn chips when we go out for Mexican food. I am lighter and healthier since getting off the commercially marketed gluten free products.

More and more people are finding out that they have celiac because more and more doctors are finally recognizing the symptoms and ordering the special blood test required to diagnose celiac. Celiac disease is not the same as a wheat allergy or sensitivity. Untreated celiac can be very serious, especially in children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 09:42 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You sure it wasn't the tomatoes?

Tomato sandwich + pizza sauce = stomach burn.
Could be I suppose so I'll be looking at other things. I've never known tomatoes to make me gassy though but it could be the combo.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:39 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Tomatoes are very acidic; that's why most cooks add a pinch of sugar to the sauce, supposedly to cut down on the acidity.

You could very well have a sensitivity to wheat, but I'd rule out more common (and easier to give up) culprits to acid stomach (such as tomatoes) before swearing off the bread forever

Old 06-17-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Tomatoes are very acidic; that's why most cooks add a pinch of sugar to the sauce, supposedly to cut down on the acidity.

You could very well have a sensitivity to wheat, but I'd rule out more common (and easier to give up) culprits to acid stomach (such as tomatoes) before swearing off the bread forever
I would never give up bread forever w/o a bit of experimentation. Do you have any idea how much I love the stuff? But this was more than stomach burn--it was other symptoms as well, like a great deal of gas--something I don't generally associate with tomatoes. I have never reacted to tomatoes before, but then I didn't think I was reacting to gluten either. Oh wait, the pizza didn't even have tomato sauce--it was a spinach and garlic pizza. I only had the one tomato earlier.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:01 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Update: My new food regimen has been rather extreme, but it is working. I went to the allergist several months ago to get the finger prick test for food sensitivities and came back positive for egg, soy, celery, and coconut. I added all of those to the avoidance list along with wheat and dairy. I have gluten sensitivity and am on the Autism Spectrum so avoiding wheat was the absolute best remedy for me to take. I continue to have greater mental clarity and my fine motor cooordination seems better than ever. My weight loss has plateaued but is still declining even though I eat three meals a day, snacks, and low levels of exercise. At the highest, my weight was 170 and now it is 146. It's no wonder so many people are cutting way back on wheat intake or avoiding it all together. When I take a trip to the grocery store I can hardly even stand the strong smell of the breads in that aisle.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I would never give up bread forever w/o a bit of experimentation. Do you have any idea how much I love the stuff? But this was more than stomach burn--it was other symptoms as well, like a great deal of gas--something I don't generally associate with tomatoes. I have never reacted to tomatoes before, but then I didn't think I was reacting to gluten either. Oh wait, the pizza didn't even have tomato sauce--it was a spinach and garlic pizza. I only had the one tomato earlier.
Yes, occasionaly I will have a craving for pizza. I have rosacea so avoiding tomato products tends to help my skin out quite a bit. I avoid wheat 100% so pizza is out of the question forever in my case... Oh well, I will just have other snacks that I enjoy just as much.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Update: My new food regimen has been rather extreme, but it is working. I went to the allergist several months ago to get the finger prick test for food sensitivities and came back positive for egg, soy, celery, and coconut. I added all of those to the avoidance list along with wheat and dairy. I have gluten sensitivity and am on the Autism Spectrum so avoiding wheat was the absolute best remedy for me to take. I continue to have greater mental clarity and my fine motor cooordination seems better than ever. My weight loss has plateaued but is still declining even though I eat three meals a day, snacks, and low levels of exercise. At the highest, my weight was 170 and now it is 146. It's no wonder so many people are cutting way back on wheat intake or avoiding it all together. When I take a trip to the grocery store I can hardly even stand the strong smell of the breads in that aisle.
Wow, my sympathy for having to give up all that but I'm glad you're feeling better. I've heard that about those with ASD needing to avoid certain foods and I believe that it's true for those with ADD as well, which I have.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:25 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Quote:
Of course you would give up bread if you had celiac disease - you would have to. I love bread too but I have lived without bread (real bread) for the last 14 months. But if you were eroding the lining of your small intestine which caused you to not be able to absorb vitamins and you hurt every time you ate gluten (to the point of not being able to sleep), you would be forced to give up bread. One fourth piece of bread does damage to the intestine of someone with celiac disease - damage that takes 8 months to repair....knowing that keeps me from cheating....eating is not nearly as fun anymore. Even a few crumbs of bread can set off the auto-immune response....so no cheating and no cross-contamination....did I mention how much I dislike gluten free bread?

Old 06-17-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Wow, my sympathy for having to give up all that but I'm glad you're feeling better. I've heard that about those with ASD needing to avoid certain foods and I believe that it's true for those with ADD as well, which I have.
It's been a bit tough, but my new diet mainly consists of: fruits, vegetables, rice & corn cereals, lean meats, gluten free pasta, tapioca bread, and salads. I strongly recommend this combination to many people I know. I also take a complete vitamin regimen that includes: Methyl Guard, Nurta Thera, And Vitamin C & D. I feel about 99% better overall compared wtih two years ago when I was not on my special diet and vitamin regimen.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
.did I mention how much I dislike gluten free bread?
Tapioca Bread isn't that bad, but I dislike most of the Rice Breads. I am severely constrained with my selection of some foods as I avoid dairy, soy and egg. For breakfast cereals I will generally go with Cinnamon Chex, Rice Chex, or Corn Chex. I wrote a letter of complaint to the company asking them to take out the preservative BHT, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss