Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:19 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,896,327 times

Advertisements

Good god... My parents, grand parents and great grandparents all ate that food. The lived into the 80s and 90. There were those in the same group who drank and smoke. They all freaking died of old age.

Here is the deal... They were active, they worked hard, they were physically active and not sedentary. Physical activity is paramount to good health IMO.

Last edited by SD4020; 06-04-2012 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 06:26 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,199,159 times
I don't think diet has all that much effect on heart disease, fat, etc unless you eat too many calories. I've looked at the stats for the top 10 nations with the longest life expectancies, and they are a mix of supposedly heart-healthy diets (Asians) and diets fairly heavy in meats and fats (Australian, Swiss, Icelandic, Europeans in general).

I'd say if you gain too much weight on one diet, especially one with processed foods (which have appetite stimulators), then try another one. I suspect that most people will do best on their ancestors' diets, but that can be hard to determine...... some feel satisfied with steaks and potatoes, others lots of fish, yet others rice and seaweeds.

Also our ancestors didn't generally "work out," but they did maintain a fairly high level of activity throughout the day. Men worked sunup to sundown, women worked even longer with cleaning up.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:31 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,741,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well here's another idea, since your handy dandy chart only has two possible "diets" on them..

And oddly, your chart compares apples with oranges...

Atkins is represented by a total number of grams of carbs, with no indication of how many total calories per day that number of grams comprises.

Traditional is represented by a total number of calories comprising the average carbs, with no gram information on the recommended number of carbs.

So - you have

Atkins = 20
Traditional = 55%

AnonChick = Green.

I win.
We're not seeing excess calories = weight gain. It's insulin that is the culprit. Weight management is not driven by calorie counting, but rather by changing the way our body treats the food we eat (i.e., burning fat versus storing fat). Obesity is a disorder of inappropriately accumulating fat, not a disorder of eating too many calories.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:04 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,199,159 times
Obesity is fat, but the fat comes from calories.

Whichever diet satisfies you the most in a day given a certain number of calories (such as red meat diet equalling 2500 calories, or on the other hand rice and veggies equalling 2500 calories) is going to be the winner. Some are more easily satisfied on one diet, some on another. I happen to be a meat/fat person, but innumerable healthy Japanese are the rice/fish/veggie types.

I've been watching extremist diets come and go for the last 40 years of my interest in them. And yet, when you look at the longest-lived or healthiest populations, they seem to mostly eat balanced diets - not vegetarian, not caveman, but modest amounts. And they stay active through the day, not sitting around on their butts like a buncha bums typing out posts on the internet all day long.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:06 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,816,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well here's another idea, since your handy dandy chart only has two possible "diets" on them..

And oddly, your chart compares apples with oranges...

Atkins is represented by a total number of grams of carbs, with no indication of how many total calories per day that number of grams comprises.

Traditional is represented by a total number of calories comprising the average carbs, with no gram information on the recommended number of carbs.

So - you have

Atkins = 20
Traditional = 55%

AnonChick = Green.

I win.
More like FAIL, especially if that's all you focused on.
The other 90% of the info graphic does a good job of providing a cliff notes of sorts of how your body processes the carbs and fat. And that atkins vs traditional carb focused diet section you focused on also gives a quick and accurate overview of both. Atkins is focused on a specific number and thats it. Traditional is focused on a percentage, with most calories coming from carbs. It's not that hard to understand and common knowledge.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:20 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,869,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
We're not seeing excess calories = weight gain. It's insulin that is the culprit. Weight management is not driven by calorie counting, but rather by changing the way our body treats the food we eat (i.e., burning fat versus storing fat). Obesity is a disorder of inappropriately accumulating fat, not a disorder of eating too many calories.
This just plain isn't true. It's a myth generated by "diet gurus" and their paid physicians who take snippets of research, blow it out of proportion, and re-interpret it to spin in the direction of profits.

If carbs = weight gain then athletes who carbo-load = fat athletes.

Since athletes who carbo-load do -not- equal fat athletes, then carbs do not equal weight gain.

Obesity is caused *primarily* by eating too much sugars, starches, fats, and all other foods that contain calories, without the appropriate exercise to work off all those calories.

Calories are your energy source. The word calorie, is a measurement of energy. If you have more energy than you expend, then you will see the results of that unused energy as weight.

This is just very simple math.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:29 AM

100 posts, read 78,643 times

This guy is on a 100% vegan diet. Can anyone explain this?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Bowl View Post

This guy is on a 100% vegan diet. Can anyone explain this?
Simple: calories in, calories out, -and- efficient use of the calories he is consuming.

He's eating lots of carbs and non-meat proteins, legumes, beans, possibly soy (don't know, he might be allergic), plenty of grain (even if he's got gluten problems he's still getting grain that doesn't have gluten - only certain grains have any gluten at all), plenty of sugars and starches and veggies and fruits, drinking lots of water, getting enough sodium and potassium...

and instead of sitting around waiting for all that food to pack up on his hips, he's putting it to good use in the gym.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
You can't just disagree... you have to feel that you've won? Wow.
That was intended sarcasm. There is no winning, or losing.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:31 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,816,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
results? Best shape of my life, blood tests are spectacular, no longer take Omega3 fish oil.
Um, actually... this ^^^ is winning. Quote from the initial post.
Repeat all the same old regurgitated outdated science that you want. Nothing beats actual real life results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss