Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:08 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,738,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
Basically, I've been eating what our ancestors ate: lots of fat, butter, cheese, fish, red meat (I eat mostly bison), ton of eggs, dark chocolate, heavy whipping cream protein shakes, and a little bit of yam and veggies here and there.

I eat virtually no sugar (though I do have to have it in my tea, but it's not much) and drink lots of tea. My carb intake is extremely small.

results? Best shape of my life, blood tests are spectacular, no longer take Omega3 fish oil.

Back in the early 1900s, a French explorer met with the Eskimos in the Yukon and he subsisted on nothing but fish and red meat. There were no other forms of foods. No veggies grew up there. The result after 2 years? Extremely healthy and became a major study that is now known pretty much as the Atkins or even parts of the South Beach Diet.

I do exercise, but we're not seeing evidence exercise helps with weight loss. The only real reason that exercising seems to help with weight loss is because people generally eat healthier. Exercise is important for a number of reasons, but weight management and controlling disease risk are not on the list, at least according to the best available evidence.

Here's a good infographic on this topic: Massive Health - Carbs Are Killing You [infographic]
Just so you know that race of people (eskimos) do have a larger liver than other races. Its part of what helps them deal with that type of diet.
I agree that sugar is worse than fat unless its fake fat. The body still has limits. Watch your numbers.

I rotate my diet and don't really eat much sweets. Thin and healthy but we shall see how it is when I hit the age where my family starts to have issues. (over 50) Already in just having a better diet in my 20s than most of my family I look younger and am healthier than people my age in the family. The only one that looks as healthy is a cousin who never really drank, never smoked, was always active, never got fat and has a generally good basic diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 12:38 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,816,477 times
According to fatsecret.com, today i've eaten almost 2000 calories for just breakfast and lunch.
4% carbs, 65% fat and 31% protein.
Still have to add in dinner.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:48 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,738,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
According to fatsecret.com, today i've eaten almost 2000 calories for just breakfast and lunch.
4% carbs, 65% fat and 31% protein.
Still have to add in dinner.

Did you weigh your portions? How were they measured?
What did you eat exactly?

What is your weight and activity level?

Old 06-05-2012, 12:59 PM

Here's a screen shot.
Where it says medium chicken twice. One of those is a thigh, the other a drumstick
http://s19.postimage.org/h1k7bjky9/S...1_52_47_PM.png
I'm 38, 152lbs, 5'8"
I run 4 miles a couple times a week if I can and try to go mountain biking at least once a week when i can.
Occasional weight lifting too.
I'll also do road cycling on the weekend sometimes but only if time allows for 30+ miles.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:13 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,367,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That was intended sarcasm. There is no winning, or losing.
Let it go already. Geez...

Old 06-05-2012, 01:40 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,696,403 times
I don't do too much sugar anyways...
But love my red meat, lots o' butter & fat yes bacon... do do an occasional carb.

Nothing wrong with that.

I do eat veggies too... but could never ever be total vegan.

Why???

If you can't ask a street stall vendor to stop using pig lard or pork fat to flavor their street dishes (in other countries) why should America think they should tell people how & what to eat???

16 oz drinks??? Who won't be suing the idiot dictator when that family member got kidney failure or dehydrate just because they are only allowed to buy 16oz drink on a 110 degree weather????
Lawsuit awaiting to happen... and I hope the soda companies will back that case.

People really should use some brain juice and think...
What is good for one may not be applicable to another... situations and even people differ.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:18 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,610,509 times
Quote:
Humm. Did they smoke? Red meat eaters tend to smoke, and also often ate other bad foods. Red meat eaters don't really care about their health...so that's why you get all of that bad press on how red meat is bad for you.
What kind of sweeping generalization is this???

Old 06-06-2012, 11:14 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,095,684 times
What a mess of a thread this has turned into.

All I have to add is that I eat meat, vegetables, and a little bit of dairy (cheese). Cut out all gluten, and feel the best I've felt in the past 7 years. The end.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
The end.
Not around here.
If you don't eat carbs, you will die a horrible and early death. THAT will be the end.

Oh wait, you only cut out gluten which means you still eat sugar. No worries then, you will be just fine!

Old 06-06-2012, 01:06 PM

467 posts, read 666,916 times
Quote:
Basically, I've been eating what our ancestors ate: lots of fat, butter, cheese, fish, red meat (I eat mostly bison), ton of eggs, dark chocolate, heavy whipping cream protein shakes, and a little bit of yam and veggies here and there.

I eat virtually no sugar (though I do have to have it in my tea, but it's not much) and drink lots of tea. My carb intake is extremely small.

results? Best shape of my life, blood tests are spectacular, no longer take Omega3 fish oil.

Back in the early 1900s, a French explorer met with the Eskimos in the Yukon and he subsisted on nothing but fish and red meat. There were no other forms of foods. No veggies grew up there. The result after 2 years? Extremely healthy and became a major study that is now known pretty much as the Atkins or even parts of the South Beach Diet.

I do exercise, but we're not seeing evidence exercise helps with weight loss. The only real reason that exercising seems to help with weight loss is because people generally eat healthier. Exercise is important for a number of reasons, but weight management and controlling disease risk are not on the list, at least according to the best available evidence.

Here's a good infographic on this topic: Massive Health - Carbs Are Killing You [infographic]
I don't agree with the paleo thing generally, think it's too simplistic but definitely great that you dumped the fish oil- toxic stuff, truly.
The Great Fish Oil Experiment

Sugar is fine in moderation & maybe even good for you, starches are the real problem:
Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.

One of the studies Atkins was based on was Keckiwick and Pawan which was published in the Lancet in 1957:
Kekwick Pawan 1956 Lancet

Yes agree, exercise ineffective for weight loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss