Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 06:09 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times

Advertisements

Interesting how you ignore the studies - never say a word about the study I posted but just put your own spin on it as if that makes it correct. I think I will choose to believe Princeton University and my doctor over you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 06:25 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Interesting how you ignore the studies - never say a word about the study I posted but just put your own spin on it as if that makes it correct. I think I will choose to believe Princeton University and my doctor over you.
I think you're just misreading the princeton study, AND the livestrong article. Read it again. It specifies high-fructose corn syrup. The tests that were done at Princeton were done with HFCS. Not regular corn syrup. Every time someone uses an incorrect term in a post, *someone* is going to believe that incorrect term is the correct term. And *someone* is going to pass the incorrect information to someone else, and so on and so forth, til there's a huge hue and cry about something that isn't true.

It's like that old game Operator, where you start out in a circle with a sentence, and whisper it to the person next to you. By the time that sentence comes around the circle back to you, it will have changed so drastically that it will no longer even remotely resemble the original sentence.

In medicine, nutrition, diet - semantics actually has significance, and a single omission of a single word, can mean the difference between "this entire paragraph might be true" and "this entire paragraph is patently false."

So to repeat:

The issue science -believes- that they have with sweetener, is NOT with corn syrup. It is, very specifically, and exclusively, with HIGH FRUCTOSE corn syrup, which is an additive to many processed foods. It is an altered semi-artificial ingredient. There are processed foods that contain corn syrup - THOSE processed foods are not in question. Only the ones containing high fructose corn syrup are in question. There are plenty of those. But there are also plenty of foods that have corn syrup, but not high-fructose corn syrup.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:52 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,685,087 times
Actually, we use local honey to 'feed' the yeast in our bread - and it doesn't take much.

We use honey instead of sugar in almost everything. Which is why we will be starting our own little apiary next year.

Since archaeologists discovered that wheat has been found in pits where human settlements flourished over 8,000 years ago, and in the British Museum, you can see actual loaves that were made and baked in Egypt over 5,000 years ago; and still-viable wheat berries were found in 'sealed' jars (as well as they could seal things back then) in the wreckage of Pompeii, I somehow doubt that humans eating grain is a recent development.

I tend more to agree that it is the hyper-processed foods like high-fructose corn syrup, as well as the processing and bleaching that removes most of the nutrients from present-day flour (so much so that they turn around and 'enrich it!) puts additives in our food that don't need to be there, that contribute to weight gain as well as inappropriate nutrition.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:54 AM

Got it....I am sorry I wasn't making that distinction. Corn syrup is a high-caloric product linked to obesity. Additional health problems linked to corn syrup include metabolic syndrome linked directly to the fructose. Fructose causes high triglyceride levels that lead to obesity. The Mayo Clinic recommends consuming corn syrup in moderation and choosing products with natural sugars instead of sweeteners such as corn syrup.

No corn for me - alright maybe a taco once a month but that is where I'm drawing the line :-).

Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Corn meal and corn syrup are different things. Why throw the baby out with the bath water. Fresh corn, corn meal, pop corn are all fine to eat. Not a lot of nutrients, but not BAD for you, and in fact very delicious. Nothing like grilled corn on the cob on a warm summer evening. Or some fish tacos. Or a bowl of popcorn (not microwave).
Corn syrup is a different story.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Got it....I am sorry I wasn't making that distinction. Corn syrup is a high-caloric product linked to obesity. Additional health problems linked to corn syrup include metabolic syndrome linked directly to the fructose. Fructose causes high triglyceride levels that lead to obesity. The Mayo Clinic recommends consuming corn syrup in moderation and choosing products with natural sugars instead of sweeteners such as corn syrup.

No corn for me - alright maybe a taco once a month but that is where I'm drawing the line :-).
Fruit also contains fructose. Table sugar also contains fructose. Beet sugar also contains fructose. So does honey, berries, and most root vegetables.

If you want to eliminate fructose from your diet, then you will have to eliminate

fruit, table sugar, honey, berries, root vegetables, and corn.

If, however, you'd like to simply cut down on your caloric intake in an effort (combined with exercise) to lose weight, you can just eat -less- sugar, AND less starch, which converts to sugar, AND exercise more.

Corn syrup isn't "the culprit." Overeating is.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:46 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Then it's up to the consumer to eat LESS of it. And then - voila just like magic - they won't get fat.

Not that I believe the anti-corn spin, I don't. Out of every 30 grams of Karo light-colored corn syrup, there are only 10 grams of actual sugar. Out of every 30 grams of sugar, there are 30 grams of sugar. So it stands to reason that if your cake recipe calls for a half cup of corn syrup, and you use sugar instead, you'll be getting 3x as much sugar, as if you had just used corn syrup.

Of course, the hype is actually about *high fructose* corn syrup, which is a commercial food additive and not the stuff that comes in the glass bottle, that you make chocolate candy with at home. But hey, who cares really? Some of you are on a roll, so keep spinning the "corn syrup makes your fat cells fatter than sugar" nonsense. You'd be incorrect, but if it makes you feel better, have at it. Even if it did, it's not "corn syrup" that would be doing it. It is, very specifically, and exclusively, "High Fructose corn syrup." The two are different things.
I don't know anyone who uses Kari syrup and I haven't seen a recipe calling for regular corn syrup in ages, so it is safe to assume the most common form
of corn syrup consumed now is hfcs. And the most common sweetener in processed stuff is also high fructose corn syrup. The best way to avoid it is to avoid foods with added sugar and consume in moderation.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:27 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,159,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't know anyone who uses Kari syrup and I haven't seen a recipe calling for regular corn syrup in ages, so it is safe to assume the most common form
of corn syrup consumed now is hfcs. And the most common sweetener in processed stuff is also high fructose corn syrup. The best way to avoid it is to avoid foods with added sugar and consume in moderation.
The only time my family (in US) uses Karo syrup is at Christmas when we make homemade fudge. I cant even think of what else youd use it for, personally.

Thankfully I only go home for Christmas once every so many years now, otherwise I don't think I could resist The Fudge.

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe HFCS or even just regular corn syrup is used much in Australia. I think cane sugar is the major sweetener here, for goods manufactured in Australia, and not imported. And the rate of obesity and overweight is not much different than in the US, per capita.

Slightly OT, but i think corn syrup is just another patsy. I think the problem is not as simple as this or that ONE thing being the issues. It's a combination of crap food choices (obviously manufactured and processed foods are not as good a choice as freshly prepared, if not calorically then at least for the artificial crap in it to keep it's shelf life) crap portion sizes (seriously who needs a PLATTER of food at a single meal?) crap physicality (in a generalization the more hi-tech we go the more sedentary we become) crap work set ups (hardy anyone does manual labour these days and if they do it's often assisted; desk jobs are more common, shift work is wrecking our natural body rhythms), too much stress (that we've either created for ourselves, or just compound what's unavoidable), pollution, toxins that we ingest, breath, swim and bath in..........basically life as we know it. Were just killing ourselves a little slower and less efficiently.

Just my 2 cents worth though. A lot of people tell me I'm full of it.

Last edited by tigerlillydownunder; 06-18-2012 at 03:39 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Fruit also contains fructose. Table sugar also contains fructose. Beet sugar also contains fructose. So does honey, berries, and most root vegetables.

If you want to eliminate fructose from your diet, then you will have to eliminate

fruit, table sugar, honey, berries, root vegetables, and corn.

If, however, you'd like to simply cut down on your caloric intake in an effort (combined with exercise) to lose weight, you can just eat -less- sugar, AND less starch, which converts to sugar, AND exercise more.

Corn syrup isn't "the culprit." Overeating is.
Wow, thanks so much for the lecture - who asked you? You don't know me. I don't need to lose weight or exercise more. My doctor has told me to cut out corn because of my reaction to it (I have celiac) and because in her opinion corn is one of the least healthy grains - lower in fiber than many (celiacs have digestive issues) and high in carbs.

Major studies have show that corn fructose is metabolized differently than other fructose...corn is not healthy and I choose to not eat it ....see I tend to listen to my doctor rather than people on the internet.

Last edited by Cattknap; 06-18-2012 at 04:56 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Wow, thanks so much for the lecture - who asked you? I don't need to lose weight or exercise more and my doctor has told me to cut out corn because of my reaction to it (I have celiac) and because in her opinion corn is one of the least healthy graines.
Corn doesn't affect celiac. What people -call- "corn gluten" isn't gluten at all, it's a misnomer. Even the peptides that trigger responses in celiac patients, don't exist in corn. So you should probably find a new doctor. You're being given a bill of crap advice.**

Furthermore, this topic is about corn syrup, not corn gluten, or peptides, and it is in the diet and weight loss forum, so your anecdote about needing to not take corn due to celiac is irrelevent.

As for who asked me, no one did. This is a discussion forum. We're here to discuss things. If you don't want to hear a discussion, find another place to visit. Or, put me on ignore.

** I got my information from several medical websites that focus on celiac disease, including celiac.com and livestrong,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss