Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,060 times

Advertisements

Just to confirm I have actually been on this forum since 2008, I changed my 'sign on' name in May 2011 from Jan_Michigan to Jan_Alaska.

NOW ...
Quote [Except you ate more of it (and by proxy; more calories) and gained the weight as a result.]

No actually I didn't, I moved to Michigan and worked 10 hour days on an equestrian center/farm, usually had a home prepared salad for lunch and my usual portion for dinner. I'm not one for eating out and my portion sizes never have been US sized, I don't eat junk food, I can't even bear to go near a Wendys or McD's as they make me feel queasy. My weight gain was a result of hidden corn syrup calories in foods corn syrup has no business being in to start with.

America has been a real eye opener for me, to say Americans are eating themselves sick is an understatement the chemicals and preservatives put in foods over here is out of control. I bought back candies from the UK for my grandchildren and my daughter in law was amazed that they had no artificial colours or preservatives which means the kids can eat them and not go hyper for hours afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
No actually I didn't.

Quote:
My weight gain was a result of hidden corn syrup calories in foods corn syrup has no business being in to start with.
You realize you just contradicted yourself, right? You say you didn't gain weight because of increased calorie consumption, but then turn around and blame it the consumption of "hidden" calories in HFCS. You're admitting that my assertion is correct.

Just an FYI, the calorie content of foods and drinks is located on the nutritional label. There are no hidden calories.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
First off, what does that have to do with HFCS and D2mini's agenda pushing? Completely unrelated topics there.

Second, you really need to know what you are talking about, lest you look like a fool, like in this case when you use a pro-low carb story to tell someone who has used and advocates low carb diets that the "world is passing them by". Swing and a miss.
Nothing. What it does relate to is the utter uselessness of you coming on here and sniping at people about calories-in, calories-out, trying to tell people that things they've experienced aren't real, just because they threaten the body of knowledge you've hitched your wagon to.

What possible purpose could there be in telling a stranger "no, you just stopped eating so much, fatass" when you know zero about his experience? Besides providing yourself with reassurance that that body of knowledge isn't flawed...

Old 06-27-2012, 09:48 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
To be clear, I think HFCS is very overrated as a cause of obesity -- overconsumption of fruit will do pretty much the same thing -- I just take issue with people on here who accuse others of lying all the time because they don't want their worldviews disturbed.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Here's a really easy end to the corn syrup debate...

You should not be ingesting refined carbs anyway.

So sugar, corn syrup, chips, white bread...toss 'em. People did not used to eat this crap in the quantities that they do now.

They are all the devil.

Next topic...

Old 06-27-2012, 09:55 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,060 times
Every forum has one eh ?

Oh well ... just to say I didn't find the need to read the labels on everything I ate when I first arrived here, why would I question that Danone yoghurt here would be any different from Danone in the UK ? the same applies to bread etc... Now I know better I bake my own bread with organic flour so it doesn't have 20+ ingredients and avoid processed foods as much as possible.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:23 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Here's a really easy end to the corn syrup debate...

You should not be ingesting refined carbs anyway.

So sugar, corn syrup, chips, white bread...toss 'em. People did not used to eat this crap in the quantities that they do now.

They are all the devil.

Next topic...
Stan, I don't eat white bread, chips, or sugar because I know they're bad for my health. But through the late 50's and most of the 60's, I never even saw or had heard of whole wheat bread, for example. It was never served to me at a friend's home, school, anywhere. Hippies popularizing a macrobiotic diet started that. Our parents handed out chips, cookies, and ice cream without a thought. There were a lot less overweight children and adults though. Kids played outside until the sun went down. Men mowed the lawn with non-motorized lawn mowers, and women did a lot of household chores by hand that are now done by a machine. On the other hand, few adults that I knew of belonged to gyms or did any serious working out at home. No one jogged and adults didn't ride bikes. So I don't completely understand it. And I heard about the recent study about the low-carb and low-glycemic diet. I just think the way portions have grown has more to do with it than anything.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Nothing. What it does relate to is the utter uselessness of you coming on here and sniping at people about calories-in, calories-out, trying to tell people that things they've experienced aren't real, just because they threaten the body of knowledge you've hitched your wagon to.

What possible purpose could there be in telling a stranger "no, you just stopped eating so much, fatass" when you know zero about his experience? Besides providing yourself with reassurance that that body of knowledge isn't flawed...
Nothing is going to threaten my body of knowledge, save for a massive scientific breakthrough (backed by multiple studies and peer review) disproving the law of thermodynamics. Thats not going to happen, no matter how much the uneducated masses wish to the contrary.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Every forum has one eh ?

Oh well ... just to say I didn't find the need to read the labels on everything I ate when I first arrived here, why would I question that Danone yoghurt here would be any different from Danone in the UK ? the same applies to bread etc... Now I know better I bake my own bread with organic flour so it doesn't have 20+ ingredients and avoid processed foods as much as possible.
So now you admit you didn't even check the labels? How can you claim to have not increased your calorie consumption when you never even checked?

Old 06-27-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
No one's trying to disprove the first law of thermodynamics, you tool, they're suggesting it maybe not dictate every single decision you make about what to eat.
You're the one talking about flawed and disturbed world views. Why would you take that stance if you're I agreement with it? That makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss