Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 05:48 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,726 times

Advertisements

It's a personal anecdotal story that just can't hold a candle to the scientific rigor of the corporate & governmental studies but here it is. Once upon a time I was 6'2'', 190 lbs 28 years old 2.5 years fresh of the boat. I can pin point exact month and year I started ballooning all way up to 270lbs at my heaviest. It's not polite to bite feeding country' hands but honestly I dislike mass American food intensely and at the time I was too poor to indulge it anyway, a poor person trapped in 6'2'' body simply cannot afford $5 junk food meals that doesn't fill your big body and leave it hungry. So what have changed in that breaking month? Nothing except that I started to drink 1-2 bottles (12 or 20 oz) of Mountain Dew per day to stay focused on a very boring tasks. That is all it took. One day you are 190 lbs, 2 months later you are a plump 235 pounder. First I thought it's aging, hormonal shifts and such. Oh well, nobody cheated that yet. However, 8 years later I started to substitute syrup laden French Vanilla creamers (I used instead of sugar in my gargantuan servings of coffee) with very generous (and more caloric) servings of pure white sugar. Nothing else changed. Effect is the same but it's reversed. I actually lost weight by eating more sugar (I drink way too much coffee) as long as I stay away from French Vanilla and other syruped creamers. As I said before I'm not a fan of American food to begin with, so avoiding corn syruped products is very easy. If only I could avoid that French Vanilla junk much earlier. Can I sue them or something for causing pain and suffering ?

Sure, science buffs and pros will prove me wrong in no time at all by pointing at chemical formulas and studies, sorry, I trust my body more and it says Corn syrup = POISON bigger than refined cane sugar.

Last edited by RememberMee; 06-27-2012 at 06:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Awful lot of typing considering you admit your point is invalid right from the start.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:05 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Me, I've always thought if it waddled like a duck, quacked like a duck and looked like a duck, then maybe it IS a duck.

Since the obesity in America skyrocketed when HFCS replaced cane sugar in many of our foods in early 1970, no wonder many doctors and nutritionists believe (and many studies bear this out) that HFCS is a major contributor to our ever rising obesity. Of course, there are other contributing factors, too--like super-sizing everything.

HFCS does not eliminate hunger and help your reach satiety--you still feel hungry after consuming it. This excerpt from an interesting article discusses this: (read the complete article for more info...)

"Bray says the problem with HFCS is not only that it is sweeter than other forms of sugar, but also that it does not affect appetite. Fructose adds to overeating because it does not trigger chemical messengers that tell the brain the stomach is full and no longer hungry, like food and drinks that contain regular refined sugar do.

Health | High-fructose corn syrup fueling obesity epidemic, doctors say | Seattle Times Newspaper

What irks me is that even if your are a big label reader as I am, it's increasingly difficult to find food without any HFCS--it's showing up in just about everything and in the most unexpected places. I hate that. It's one thing if WE decide to add it or consume it, but now we've little choice.

I guess I could eat a completely raw diet, but sometimes you want something else...HFCS--it's cheap--cheaper than cane sugar, so food manufacturers are dumping it into everything.

Anything for more profits..oink, oink.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:56 PM

Looks like another study confirming that it's excess calorie consumption causing obesity.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:47 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Looks like another study confirming that it's excess calorie consumption causing obesity.
Indeed--and fueled by HFCS that fools the body into remaining hungry so that we consume more calories than we need.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Awful lot of typing considering you admit your point is invalid right from the start.
They don't teach irony in Harvard?

Old 06-28-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Looks like another study desperately tries to deny effect of HFCS on human metabolism etc. The only question is -Cui bono?I don't believe that HFCS affected my appetite and amount of food I ate. Hell, I lived on coffee alone for days at a time. No matter what science for hire says, remember, just 2 small bottles of soda/day may royally mess up your metabolism as it did in my case.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Looks like another study desperately tries to deny effect of HFCS on human metabolism etc. The only question is -Cui bono?I don't believe that HFCS affected my appetite and amount of food I ate. Hell, I lived on coffee alone for days at a time. No matter what science for hire says, remember, just 2 small bottles of soda/day may royally mess up your metabolism as it did in my case.
Can you produce a peer reviewed study showing that HFCS effects metabolism?

Old 06-28-2012, 08:54 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Why don't you just produce a study that falsifies the hypothesis that HFCS affects (correct word) metabolism? You seem pretty damn sure, plus you're Mr. all-my-beliefs-are-grounded-in-scientific-research, so you must have piles of such studies. You do, right?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Can you produce a peer reviewed study showing that HFCS effects metabolism?
Is it a scientific journal or a forum where people share their experiences and educated opinions without providing dozens of pages of references, their college GPAs and graduate credentials? I don't have to prove my experience with HFCS, I know my body doesn't play well with that junk, and at my ripe age I know for a fact that I'm not unique.

Yet, your friend google has tonnes of references about negative effect of HFCS on human metabolism. To my great surprise it took me less than a minute to find a main stream science reference that agrees well with my experience.

Princeton University - A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find ...

A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain

A Princeton University research team has demonstrated that all sweeteners are not equal when it comes to weight gain: Rats with access to high-fructose corn syrup gained significantly more weight than those with access to table sugar, even when their overall caloric intake was the same.

Last edited by RememberMee; 06-28-2012 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss