Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 04:02 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times

Advertisements

I don't know about coffee and weight loss, but why is everyone drinking so much coffee?
What's wrong with just a cup or two? It's pretty dehydrating stuff, and that's a lot of caffeine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 05:06 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,934,509 times
Black coffee has virtually 0 calories. Train yourself to like black coffee. If you can't do it, instead of using cream, use a minimal amount of milk, but cut out the sugar.

Black coffee takes getting used to like beer, but once you start appreciating the unadulterated flavor of coffee you won't go back.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:06 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,718,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think he was saying that the caffeine in coffee stimulates your pancreas to fire off insulin and the resulting drop in blood sugar (whether you've eaten or not) makes you hungry, therefore you eat.

I haven't really ever noticed that phenomenon, just wondering if anyone else has.

I'm not ready to give up my coffee. Sweets, alcohol, bread, pasta - yes. But coffee? No, I need my coffee. I drink as much as I usually do and I've managed to take off some of the holiday pounds so I guess I'll keep right on enjoying it.

Take your blood sugar reading before and after with coffee. I tested that on my father. Walking and a coffee is one of the ways he gets his sugar down if he over did it on intake.

I only get the hunger reaction noticeably with empty cals. Coffee actually turns my hunger off and makes me eat very slowly. I am not confessing to how much I drink a day. LOL

I think you should test any hunger triggers including coffee if you have issues with hunger.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:54 AM

41,984 posts, read 75,262,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Black coffee has virtually 0 calories. Train yourself to like black coffee. If you can't do it, instead of using cream, use a minimal amount of milk, but cut out the sugar.

Black coffee takes getting used to like beer, but once you start appreciating the unadulterated flavor of coffee you won't go back.
Don't you just love it when people don't take the trouble of reading the original post?

Old 01-19-2013, 07:20 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,992,766 times
When I opened this thread, the last topic I expected to see on coffee was weight loss. Coffee has a lot of pluses and a bunch of minuses, but overall should be on the plus side for overall health benefits.

I owned a coffeehouse for seven years. I've pretty much read everything there is to read on it. I tasted tons of it all day long - drip and espresso - mainly for QC and training purposes. Probably the equivalent of 8-10 cups daily.

We sold the shop a little over a year ago. I now just make a pot in the morning and share with my wife, so I'm probably down to 16-20oz or so.

And I got a lot fatter.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,718,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post

Depends how much you drink but black coffee is 2 cals/8 oz.

If you drink a lot of coffee and have other "zero" calorie options in your food list you should look up the true calorie load that you are getting from your intake. Labeling laws are anything less than 5 calories can be listed as zero calorie by serving size. So if you have a lot of those little zero calorie things in your intake you can easily add an extra 100 calories or more to your day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't know about coffee and weight loss, but why is everyone drinking so much coffee?
What's wrong with just a cup or two? It's pretty dehydrating stuff, and that's a lot of caffeine.
Because coffee is amazing! When you drink it on a regular basis the body gets used to the diuretic effect. The "normal" (2cup) intake dehydration is usually offset by the amount of liquid in the beverage and only has the strong effect on people who are not used to drinking coffee.

Caffeine ingestion and fluid balance: a review - Maughan - 2003 - Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics - Wiley Online Library

^^^ note study on it

Old 01-19-2013, 02:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Exactly. Anyone who thinks it -reduces- stress - is reading some pretty heavy internet tripe. It's a stimulant, not a sedative.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:19 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Depends how much you drink but black coffee is 2 cals/8 oz.

If you drink a lot of coffee and have other "zero" calorie options in your food list you should look up the true calorie load that you are getting from your intake. Labeling laws are anything less than 5 calories can be listed as zero calorie by serving size. So if you have a lot of those little zero calorie things in your intake you can easily add an extra 100 calories or more to your day.

Because coffee is amazing! When you drink it on a regular basis the body gets used to the diuretic effect. The "normal" (2cup) intake dehydration is usually offset by the amount of liquid in the beverage and only has the strong effect on people who are not used to drinking coffee.

Caffeine ingestion and fluid balance: a review - Maughan - 2003 - Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics - Wiley Online Library

^^^ note study on it
What are the effects of the constant infusion of caffeine?

Old 01-19-2013, 04:58 PM

17,411 posts, read 16,566,992 times
I drink 3 maybe four cups a day. Lately I've been drinking more green tea so I might be closer to 2 cups sometimes 3 cups of coffee a day.

I'm used to the caffeine and it doesn't seem to spike my BP or even my heart rate. Appetite wise it seems to have more of a suppressant effect than anything else. Love, love my coffee.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:10 PM

20,940 posts, read 28,459,867 times
I drink 2 cups a day and it does not hinder weight loss IMO, Personally I think Dr. Oz is full of doo doo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss