Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 02:57 AM

145 posts, read 185,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
ummm, yeah not true at all. Stomach banding can and does "fail" all the time. People's stomachs stretch back out and they gain the weight back. Losing weight is mental, more specifically un-healthy eating patterns are mental, they are usually connected to emotional trauma as a coping mechanism, or are a manifestation of self-hatred, etc. Or it's just deeply engrained habit built over many years that is very hard to break, small stomach or not.
Obviously, if they start to gorge themselves, the stomach will reverse course- over time.

It will take more than one large meal to expand a stomach out to a higher capacity.

People can easily adapt to eat small volume meals.

And when they do this over the weeks, when presented with an opportunity to eat huge quantities, they physically can't.

Physiology.

Weight loss IS mental, but in the end everything is mental.

People should at least have the knowledge base to know what they are dealing with.

And eating many smaller-volume meals is a good way to start.

But you body builders are off in your own universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 06:55 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thats the kind of food i used to eat,end result after 50 years,= 80lbs over weight, diabetic,high cholesterol and blood pressure issues etc .I'm glad you havent been afflicted but you can see the need for change in my lifestyle to rectify the health problems i've incurred , those foods you list are no longer what i desire in life and i view such stuff with disdain as its what got me to the poor health i have to live with
That's because you ate too much of it, and not enough healthy foods, and whatever exercise you did, wasn't able to offset the crap going into your system.

I'll be 53 in two weeks, and I'm not 80 pounds overweight, not diabetic, my cholesterol is fine, I have -low- blood pressure (94/65 as of last month's yearly checkup).

YOU have medical issues that require that YOU change YOUR lifestyle. And these changes YOU have made, are floating YOUR boat, although it seems to have made you bitter "against" foods that you were eating, rather than being happy about the foods that you -are- eating. The food didn't make you unhealthy. Your over-consumption of it made you unhealthy.

I don't overconsume the crap. I also don't forbid it. MOST people who are NOT obese, don't "forbid" themselves any food at all. They just don't overconsume.

Don't blame food for your bad choices.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
I doubt you are doing anything different than i did when it comes to an undisciplined diet of burgers pizza fries and much deep fried foods, difference is your body is handling it whereas mine didnt. thus my need for a Paleo like dietary lifestyle.
A small sample of what my diet consists of now..
https://www.pinterest.com/ericasmith...recipes-ideas/

https://www.pinterest.com/xxfituncen...inner-recipes/

Old 04-12-2014, 09:51 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
What good food would i be missing by following a Paleo lifestyle?.
As for drinking alcohol i dont view that practice as one of the best parts of life..
A good bottle of Cabernet or Pinot is very enjoyable. And if your limited palate cannot tell what wonderful foods you would be missing out on then maybe you won't be missing out.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
A good bottle of Cabernet or Pinot is very enjoyable. And if your limited palate cannot tell what wonderful foods you would be missing out on then maybe you won't be missing out.
Its not me saying i'm missing out on wonderful foods i'm quite happy with my paleo options,
are these the wonderful foods i'm apparently missing out on?=
Baked macaroni and cheese.
Pizza.
Lasagna.
Garlic bread.
Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath-Bar Crunch ice cream.
Bacon-cheeseburgers with french fries.
Chili-cheese-dogs.

As for the booze? no longer my thing but glad that you enjoy it..

. i'll repost these 2 links to give examples of what i'm eating now. do you really think i'm missing out on good food? and have limited palate?

Old 04-12-2014, 12:16 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Its not me saying i'm missing out on wonderful foods i'm quite happy with my paleo options,
are these the wonderful foods i'm apparently missing out on?=
Baked macaroni and cheese.
Pizza.
Lasagna.
Garlic bread.
Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath-Bar Crunch ice cream.
Bacon-cheeseburgers with french fries.
Chili-cheese-dogs.

As for the booze? no longer my thing but glad that you enjoy it..

. i'll repost these 2 links to give examples of what i'm eating now. do you really think i'm missing out on good food? and have limited palate?

I do not eat Mac and Cheese. I make a killer veggie lasagna. Home made garlic bread is wonderful. I do not eat ice cream all that much. I make a portobello mushroom burger on organic whole grain bread and home made oven baked garlic fries. The only time I will eat a hot dog is when I am at a baseball game, along with garlic fries and a beer.
I do not go to fast food or chain restaurants.
We cook a lot at my house and we do not have any restrictions on ingredients, just as long as they are fresh.
If that list above is what you think the only options are if you do not eat paleo than no wonder you are so misinformed.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:32 PM

He must be on a Paleo diet due to inability to self-control. He has to have someone else (a website, author of a book, journalist, pseudo-scientist, website health guru, etc.) do the controlling on his behalf.

Thankfully for the human race, most of us don't have that problem, and we can enjoy a variety of foods, consumed in moderation. For people who are incapable of self-moderation, the diet industry can provide for them what they are not able to/willing to/smart enough to provide for themselves (whichever applies in each individual situation).

Old 04-12-2014, 12:52 PM

I'm sensing an unwarranted snarky attitude creeping in to our efforts to help out the op.
My suggestion is the Paleo diet is a wholesome healthy way to go,I recommend it for those who for whatever reason are seeking a healthy lifestyle.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I'm sensing an unwarranted snarky attitude creeping in to our efforts to help out the op.
My suggestion is the Paleo diet is a wholesome healthy way to go,I recommend it for those who for whatever reason are seeking a healthy lifestyle.
The OP asked the question in January of 2013, and hasn't followed up on the question. Pretty sure he no longer cares, if he really cared at all. That doesn't mean the topic isn't worth discussing.

Paleo is not a healthy diet for anyone wanting to maintain a healthy lifestyle. It can be a jump-start to a weight-loss program but it isn't sustainable, nor should it be. Just like ALL "diets" it is intended to be temporary.

The diet itself also has nothing to do with Paleo, and is therefore an advertising gimmick and intentional misnomer. Paleo man did not eat in the way that is described in the author of this diet.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:18 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve035 View Post
Obviously, if they start to gorge themselves, the stomach will reverse course- over time.

It will take more than one large meal to expand a stomach out to a higher capacity.

People can easily adapt to eat small volume meals.

And when they do this over the weeks, when presented with an opportunity to eat huge quantities, they physically can't.

Physiology.

Weight loss IS mental, but in the end everything is mental.

People should at least have the knowledge base to know what they are dealing with.

And eating many smaller-volume meals is a good way to start.

But you body builders are off in your own universe.

Well, it's a good thing I'm not a bodybuilder. Unless you consider any man who enjoys being strong and healthy and who lifts weights as a bodybuilder, then I am one. But your definition would be off, or you are one of those vegetarian, body weight/cardio only exercisers who secretly know they aren't strong but have decided free weights and strength are for meathead bodybuilders and so are off limits, which then makes them resent and judge the people who are free enough in mind to do what they (secretly) want to do but have convinced themselves they don't want as a sort of coping mechanism.

Yes, people "CAN" adapt to eating small volume meals. If it was EASY, we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic, and have stomach band surgeries failing left and right, would we? Hence why I mentioned that losing weight and changing eating patterns is mental, not physical.

Making the stomach smaller and doing nothing about the mental issues that caused that person to gain so much weight is a exercise in futility. They will keep eating and stretch the stomach back out. It doesn't matter if they can theoretically not eat as much, if they realistically can't stop themselves.

It has nothing to do with being "presented" with an opportunity to eat a lot, these people go out of their way to eat a lot, they don't need to be presented with it, they will seek it out on their own. Avoiding calories when presented with them is a hurdle way down the line in the weight loss journey, the start of it is dealing with your own habits of seeking out excess food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss