Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 05:36 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
On Netflix
Fat Sick and Nearly Dead
Food Matters
Knives over Forks
Gerson Miracle
Hungry for Change

Good info and I think most mention Juicing, not positive.
Great resources mentioned above. Bottom line, for anyone that eats SAD (Std. American Diet), it's unlikely they are consuming the recommended daily serving of vegetables and fruit. Juicing allows you to increase quantity (as well as quality in some ppl's opinion) with minimal effort.

There are a few options to consider when juicing vegetables and fruit. The blending method (e.g, Vitamix, Blendtec, NutriBullet) breaks down the fruit and vegetable fibers into a smoothie consistency. Blending eliminates waste as the whole produce is used. The juicing method can be achieved by machines that press (e.g., Norwalk), slow juicers (e.g., Hurom, Kuvings, Omega), or use centrifugal (e.g., Breville, Omega, Cuisinart). True juicers separate the juice from the fiber providing for a pulp-free liquid beverage.

To each his own on what machine type produces the better juice, IMHO, additional vegetable and fruit consumption is better than nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 05:53 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
I do both. I eat a salad two or three times a day in addition to a veggie/fruit blended drink.

Like I said before, I keep plenty of veggies and fruit on hand and the blender helps me use up stuff that will soon expire if I don't.

Variety is important to me and you can only eat so much salad per day. If I need to use up some veggies, I can just make some more blended drink and store it in the fridge for later or the next day.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:26 PM

10 posts, read 16,476 times
I've seen people juice and I've watched in amazement as they naturally cured themselves of their chronic medical issues. I think it is beneficial because it gives the digestive system a rest from having to break down all that food and when you are consuming only healthful fruit and vegetable juices look at how much junk one is not consuming in their diet.

It does waste a lot of pulp, but I've seen people save that and use it in recipes for soups and crackers or throw it in the compost pile.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:22 AM

32 posts, read 111,978 times
Its a good idea to make fruit and vegetable smoothies, for that you can get all the fiber, vitamins and nutrition.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks&rolls View Post

It does waste a lot of pulp, but I've seen people save that and use it in recipes for soups and crackers or throw it in the compost pile.
Some of that pulp can be added to muffin mixes, does wonders for my carrot muffins.

I dont think a diet of total juicing is something that can be sustained, while you may achieve dramatic weight loss by doing it for up to 60 days you'll gain the weight back as fast as you lost it if you havent also radically changed your diet and lifestyle when you go back to whole food.
Personally i try to do one juice per day mostly because it tastes so good and i actually get a bit of a rush from ingesting that much vegetable and fruit nutrients in one glass.

Heres a handy juice making site that gives nutritional info on any juice you care to make/build.
http://myphytos.com/

Old 05-12-2014, 02:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Most people I know on juice diets long term becomes skinny fatties. They think they lost a lot of weight which is true when you lost lean muscle mass and then still retains a lot of fat due to sugar consumption.

They end up looking good initially but usually poor in stamina and strength. Women may get weak bones if they keep loading up so much carbs and no protein which contains vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium. Just taking the vitamin isn't enough you need to eat protein for better absorption of minerals.

Juicing doesn't address that, why do you think that babies also need to eat baby food, they can't live only on formula.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:09 AM

88 posts, read 192,218 times
As per my information, If you are going to juice, then it might be good for you. But If you are approaching to any loose leaf tea, then it is beneficial for you. Because, you know, it is getting popular nowadays. If you have any kind of stress, then loose leaf tea is beneficial for you. If you have too much fat in your body and you want to reduce it, then green tea is beneficial for you. So, I think, you should prefer the loose leaf tea rather than juice. It is not expensive.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,084 times
Juicing regularly aids in keeping my organs such as heart, liver, and kidneys strong and healthy. Juicing also helps prevent colon cancer and keep the digestive system in tip-top shape. The reason is that they are great suppliers of protein, vitamins and minerals. I started juicing in 1996 and have been reaping the health benefits. I have some juicing recipes on my sight: www.healthy-eating-habit.com/Juicingrecipes.html

Last edited by cossie; 01-15-2015 at 07:07 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 08:16 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I tried juicing. Not only was it EXPENSIVE - buying a huge bag of veggies for $15 or so only to make a quart - but it was time-consuming, messy and murder on my digestive system. I really don't believe that much "raw" veggie is good for people.

At any rate, my juicer is packed away and I get my veggies in small salads, stir-fries and soups. Stomach and wallet much happier now.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:08 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
I use juicing and green smoothies for short-term reboots to kick my cravings after dessert-heavy holidays, like Christmas, and then I return to a clean foods diet: vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes, whole grains, & fish. It works for me!

Last edited by randomparent; 01-16-2015 at 01:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss