Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 08:28 AM

638 posts, read 993,393 times

Advertisements

I've thought to myself......"Couldn't you just drink a V8"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Who said anything about weight loss?

Most people who juice are expecting some kind of health benefit from it. Juicing began in the US as a way to treat certain health issues. The original rotary juicers, like the Acme, were for juicing raw cabbage, to treat stomach ulcers. Nobody at the time knew why it helped, but it did. Turns out that cabbage juice is high in sulfur compounds... the same sulfur compounds that make it smelly and gassy... and they naturally suppressed ulcer-causing bacteria.

The masticating auger type juicers that are popular in the US for juicing wheatgrass and leafy greens were invented and are manufactured by South Koreans, who have a centuries old tradition of juicing botanicals such as pine needles, to be used as curatives and medicinals.

PS: Comparing a cup of carrots to a cup of carrot juice is deceptive, because the servings are not equivalent. By definition the cup of carrot juice is concentrated. That's pretty much the whole point.
Absolutely! I am the original poster and I did not put this on this forum.......I put it on the food and drink one. They must have moved it. As I stated to someone else,I am definitely not doing it for weight loss! I am doing it to help prevent certain diseases and illnesses. Just not sure that it's worth all the expense and trouble. Of course it would be if you knew you had a serious illness and a juicing recipe miraculously healed you,but if there was proof of that,everyone.......especially those with that illness would be doing it.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:54 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,349 times
As long as you eat or drink the whole fruit and vegetable it should be pretty much the same. If you only drink the juice and leave the pulp it is less healthy and potentially unhealthy because of the blood sugar spikes.

The reason I sometimes juice (blend actually) instead of eat is because it's much easier, it tastes good and I like variation in my meals.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:31 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Quote:
Now juicebars are everywhere, in large cities and small towns, in gyms and supermarkets and airports and health food stores. It's widely seen as a healthful way to boost intake of particular nutrients that are considered helpful for achieving certain desirable results.
I agree. There are far more juice bars than liquor bars in my small city. Some people who live in the northern and central parts of my county think this adds to our sometimes perceived "boring " status, but that's okay, because we also seem to "suffer" from being the city with the county's longest life expectancy. I know there is no simple correlation between the two as we probably attract health-minded people; and we have plenty of ways for people to be physically active.

"I have been "juicing" for years, but truthfully, I usually take the easy, albeit expensive, way out by using powdered green, red and berry juices. In fact, I just drank my own concoction of green and berry powders with water- Simple with no fuss or mess.

Nevertheless, when I am sufficiently motivated, I will drag the old juicer out and make some sort of green drink with a bit of ginger root and apple added. In fact, making some fresh kale, carrot and ginger juice is on this afternoon's to-do list.

I try to avoid fruit juices due to their high sugar content. I do blend fruit (berries) and add nuts or nut butter, and a vegan protein shake.

I know that some insist that blending causes oxidation and reduces the nutritive value of the drink, but I can live with that since I also eat lots of whole fruits and veggies (especially leafy greens) every day.

Last edited by pacific2; 03-16-2014 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-16-2014, 10:52 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
I've thought to myself......"Couldn't you just drink a V8"?
Sure, if you want to drink 480 mg of sodium in an 8 oz glass.

And the "low sodium" 140 mg version is awful, BTW.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:39 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
I am inclined to agree. I bought an expensive juicer and have been trying it,but don't know if it's worth it. I've been thinking about returning it if no one can convince me that it's worth it.

Juicing is not really as healthy as just eating fruits and veggies.

BUT REALLY, you are going to return something.....no because it is defective, not because it was dangerous, not because you bought it and DID NOT use it.............you are going to return it after you used it......because you no longer want it!!!!!!!!

Old 03-16-2014, 08:09 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Whether you believe the health claims or not is your own business, obviously, but clearly many millions do.
The number of people that believe something and the size of the juicing business has no barring on what I mentioned. Namely, where is the evidence that juicing provides health benefits to someone consuming an otherwise healthy diet? Until there is any demonstrated benefit juicing should be filed along all the other dietary schemes and fads that have plagued the United States.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Juicing is not really as healthy as just eating fruits and veggies.

BUT REALLY, you are going to return something.....no because it is defective, not because it was dangerous, not because you bought it and DID NOT use it.............you are going to return it after you used it......because you no longer want it!!!!!!!!
YES!! ABSOLUTELY!! That's the beauty of shopping at Kohl's! They will take something back that you've had for years and used as long as you have the receipt. If they want to be that generous,WHY NOT? They aren't losing anything I'm sure. If we decide to keep it,if and when it does die,we can take it back and they will give us a new one. In other words......we will never have to buy another juicer! I know it's hard to believe(we couldn't believe it at first either),but that's the way they operate and you better believe we are going to take advantage of it!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:18 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
YES!! ABSOLUTELY!! That's the beauty of shopping at Kohl's! They will take something back that you've had for years and used as long as you have the receipt. If they want to be that generous,WHY NOT? They aren't losing anything I'm sure. If we decide to keep it,if and when it does die,we can take it back and they will give us a new one. In other words......we will never have to buy another juicer! I know it's hard to believe(we couldn't believe it at first either),but that's the way they operate and you better believe we are going to take advantage of it!

UH HUH, sure.....Kohl's may allow cheapoes to employ certain stinky tactics.....but that does not make it right. I would be embarrassed to do something so yucky and dishonorable.....mainly because I feel it would reflect very, very poorly on myself.

I would just either try using it, sell it on the internet or donate it.

HI, I am going to return a vacuum that I have been using 10 years.....I want a refund!

Old 03-18-2014, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
UH HUH, sure.....Kohl's may allow cheapoes to employ certain stinky tactics.....but that does not make it right. I would be embarrassed to do something so yucky and dishonorable.....mainly because I feel it would reflect very, very poorly on myself.

I would just either try using it, sell it on the internet or donate it.

HI, I am going to return a vacuum that I have been using 10 years.....I want a refund!
Actually,we have taken a vacuum cleaner back that we had for six years. However,us cheapos buy the best Dyson which has a lifetime warranty anyway. To each his own, but it's not a good reflection not to take advantage of a great deal as well. Trust me..... They get their money back many times over and attract many more customers because of this policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss