Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:08 PM

253 posts, read 654,985 times

Advertisements

User_id.. you can type till your fingers get sore, but for those who benefited from a low-carb diet to control their blood sugars, it makes no difference what you say. We know what works for us and what does not because we TEST our blood sugars to find out what spikes us and what does not. Starches and sugars of all sorts shoot our blood sugars sky high. I know for myself, a low carb diet helped lower my cholesterol, weight, and blood sugar. It reduced the amount of medication I would otherwise need to take. Unless you have diabetes and are testing your blood sugar with a "vegan and hi-carb" diet and can show low numbers, your point is moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 02:33 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Well you can believe his weight was 195 upon admission....or not.....Those are medical records as well.

Nobody has to make their PRIVATE medical records public.

There is also research that shows the opposite.

Cutting carbs is more effective than low-fat diet for insulin-resistant women, study finds -- ScienceDaily
Not only that but fats & carbs vary as to their nutrition/fiber etc. content. All fats or carbs aren't the same. Example is regular soda vs fruit. Both have insulin inducing properties yet one has a slow release, the other a spike. Also w/ fats, other vitamins/nutrients, etc. are in nuts vs a bowl of lard. You could get the same amount of fat from eating a ton of nuts as a bit of lard, but point is how can coconut or olive oils lower disease risks -- yet hot dogs & fries raise it? Aren't all fats same or all carbs good, as user_id says? Ha, I hope you see the irony & humor, as he is out to lunch literally, if thinking there is 3 categories & no variance in the 3 types of foods containing one of these categories.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:20 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Well you can believe his weight was 195 upon admission....or not.....Those are medical records as well.
Actually they aren't, his weight upon admission wasn't part of the leaked documents and that number instead comes from people associated with Atkins. As we've been discussing, Atkins family never released his medical records so the only unbiased source of information we have are the leaked medical records which have him weighing ~250 pounds.

Quote:
Nobody has to make their PRIVATE medical records public.
Right, nobody has to, but a guy profiting off diet books should.

This study doesn't show that eating a high-fat diet improved insulin sensitivity, it compared the weight of two small groups of obese people with insulin resistance. One group ate a lower fat diet and the other a moderate fat where the fat primarily came from nuts. There was no high fat group and the group that did eat more fat primarily ate unsaturated fat (since they ate nuts). Its well known that its primarily saturated fat that promotes insulin resistance so both groups would have improved their insulin sensitivity due to reduced saturated fat intake. The moderate fat group lost a bit more weight than the lower fat group, but nuts have been consistently associated with lower body weight which can easily explain the difference between the two groups.

In any case, this study doesn't conflict with that I posted at all. I don't think you read the details.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Aren't all fats same or all carbs good, as user_id says? Ha, I hope you see the irony & humor, as he is out to lunch literally, if thinking there is 3 categories & no variance in the 3 types of foods containing one of these categories.
I have never suggested that "all fats are the same", nor have a suggested that "all carbohydrates are good". At the moment all I've been suggesting is that low-fat diets, when composed of whole foods, actually improve (and prevent) type 2 diabetes where as high-fat intake, especially of saturated fat, promotes insulin resistance. The association between high fat intake and insulin resistance is well known in the scientific community.......but pop-culture gets it backwards and blames carbohydrates.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon75 View Post
We know what works for us and what does not because we TEST our blood sugars to find out what spikes us and what does not. Starches and sugars of all sorts shoot our blood sugars sky high.
I actually addressed this issue, since high fat diets (especially when high in saturated fat) promote insulin resistance people eating them will have a poor reaction to foods rich in glucose. But the bad reaction is due to their overall diet, not the carbohydrates, within 1~2 weeks of eating a whole foods oriented diet that is low in saturated fat ones response to carbohydrate rich foods will greatly improve. This has been demonstrated in numerous studies.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:52 AM

283 posts, read 385,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
And....the full link doesn't say what you implied. Some of Atkins medical records were leaked but people associated with Atkins tried to cover up what was contained in his medical record. If Atkins family didn't have anything to hide they would have released all his medical records. In any case, there are conflicting comments and you're choosing to believe the unofficial reports of people associated with Atkins.
His own cardiologist stated that his diet led to his phenomenal heart health despite having a genetic defect. Going to come up with a conspiracy theory on a qualified cardiologist? Perhaps a Ornish inspired non-statistically significant qualitative study?

Old 09-16-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
His own cardiologist stated that his diet led to his phenomenal heart health despite having a genetic defect. Going to come up with a conspiracy theory on a qualified cardiologist?
His cardiologist didn't release any of his medical information and is has an association with his family....its just hearsay. The only unbiased information is from his leaked medical records which don't plaint a pretty picture.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:40 AM

283 posts, read 385,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
His cardiologist didn't release any of his medical information and is has an association with his family....its just hearsay.
Actually, it's an opinion from an expert in the medical community. Got anything from an unbiased source refuting that his opinion is biased in any way?

Old 09-17-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
Actually, it's an opinion from an expert in the medical community. Got anything from an unbiased source refuting that his opinion is biased in any way?
Its a statement from someone associated with the Atkins family and there is no way to confirm it, the only unbiased information is from his leaded medical records. The family could have put the issue to rest if they released all his medical records.....but they kept everything hidden.

I think if you're going to profit from writing diet books the least you can do is be open about your medical history.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:19 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
Okay, I've decided to try the Atkins diet. After being "Stalled out" for over a year and not losing the last bit of weight I need to to get in my healthy range, I figured why not.

I got the book from the library and it doesn't look too egregious. I also got a cook book (I am not into the pre-packaged foods, rather cook myself).

Looks like I just have to limit my fruit intake for a couple of weeks. I can do that. I'll probably just eat a lot of fish, chicken, eggs... and most of the veggies on phase one are ones I like. Some of my favorites are missing (love carrots) but as long as I have my green beans, avocado, spaghetti squash and other squashes, tomatoes and onions.. I'll be good for two weeks. Going to miss apples until the right phase.

Phase two introduces back my yogurt (I already eat plain greek yogurt) and my berries... which means I can go back to my favorite treat/snack of berry smoothie (I mix almond milk, greek yogurt, berries, and ice into a blender).

I hope to get to phase 3 by Thanksgiving so I can have my favorite dish that I make (and eat) baked apples I already make them without sugar since my mom and uncle are diabetic. Or my other favorite... apples with peanut butter. I also get my carrots back.

Shouldn't take me long to reach this phase 3 since I don't have that much to weight left to lose. 15 pounds and I am nicely in my healthy BMI.

Two questions... in the book it says "fresh" berries and such. They are expensive this time of year and go bad quickly. Is it okay to subsitute frozen? That's what I usually do (buy a big bag of mixed berries for my smoothies). I really don't see what the difference is (my guess is "fresh" is specified over canned or something... where sugars are usually added in a syrup).

And when you are finally at phase four... can you treat yourself once in a great while? It looks like you can eat most foods, but what about the occasional ice cream, or piece of cake? I don't mean all the time of course, I am thinking special occasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss